March 28, 2024, 05:18:41 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

best national anthems

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, March 30, 2014, 11:32:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mando Pandango

yeah, watching that, i'm constantly like "hey this is actually pretty goo- oh, nevermind"
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Kalahari Inkantation

YPrrrr

Same goes for singers i don't need a diva adding ooooeeeoooyeahhhhhh to the end of every line ty

Kalahari Inkantation

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on August 14, 2017, 06:15:17 PM
a much better electric guitar cover imhotbh:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59O1bX5mRaQ[/youtube]
that was really tasteful but i'm pretty sure he stuck a band-aid on a pretty bad booboo at the end

great rendition though
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on August 14, 2017, 06:34:16 PM
agreed smithicide;

another completely acceptable cover:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHZg1hJWWXM[/youtube]
Now that was impressive! I took violin lessons from Michaela when she lived in N.Y. I"m still trying to play the violin. My main instrument is the drumset.

silvertone

the point of the jimi hendrix guitar solo was a protest. i dunno about the other rockers

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPargh on June 07, 2017, 07:16:15 PM
I can't think of many outside of Europe/North America I enjoy confuseddood; China's is pretty good I suppose

taiwan's is p. great

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2lOTNwmBs[/youtube]

YPrrrr

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on August 14, 2017, 09:08:44 PM
Quote from: YPargh on June 07, 2017, 07:16:15 PM
I can't think of many outside of Europe/North America I enjoy confuseddood; China's is pretty good I suppose

taiwan's is p. great

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2lOTNwmBs[/youtube]
Well I did say China girl;

REDACTED

Kalahari Inkantation

Kalahari Inkantation

Mando Pandango

Can we take a moment to appreciate the beauty of Nepal's flag, while we're at it?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Gne3UHKHs[/youtube]

Mando Pandango

If you don't feel like watching the video, from Wikipedia:

QuoteThere is a precise description of the Nepalese national flag in the Constitution of the Kingdom of Nepal, Article 5, Schedule 1, adopted 9 November 1990.[1]
National Flag

(A) Method of Making the Shape inside the Border

(1) On the lower portion of a crimson cloth draw a line AB of the required length from left to right.
    (2) From A draw a line AC perpendicular to AB making AC equal to AB plus one third AB. From AC mark off D making line AD equal to line AB. Join BD.
    (3) From BD mark off E making BE equal to AB.
    (4) Touching E draw a line FG, starting from the point F on line AC, parallel to AB to the right hand-side. Mark off FG equal to AB.
    (5) Join CG.

(B) Method of Making the Moon

(6) From AB mark off H making AH equal to one-fourth of line AB and starting from H draw a line HI parallel to line AC touching line CG at point I.
    (7) Bisect CF at J and draw a line JK parallel to AB touching CG at point K.
    (8) Let L be the point where lines JK and HI cut one another.
    (9) Join JG.
    (10) Let M be the point where line JG and HI cut one another.
    (11) With centre M and with a distance shortest from M to BD mark off N on the lower portion of line HI.
    (12) Touching M and starting from O, a point on AC, draw a line from left to right parallel to AB.
    (13) With centre L and radius LN draw a semi-circle on the lower portion and let P and Q be the points where it touches the line OM respectively.
    (14) With centre M and radius MQ draw a semi-circle on the lower portion touching P and Q.
    (15) With centre N and radius NM draw an arc touching PNQ [sic] at R and S. Join RS. Let T be the point where RS and HI cut one another.
    (16) With Centre T and radius TS draw a semi-circle on the upper portion of PNQ touching it at two points.
    (17) With centre T and radius TM draw an arc on the upper portion of PNQ touching at two points.
    (18) Eight equal and similar triangles of the moon are to be made in the space lying inside the semi-circle of No. (16) and outside the arc of No. (17) of this Schedule.

(C) Method of making the Sun

(19) Bisect line AF at U and draw a line UV parallel to line AB touching line BE at V.
    (20) With centre W, the point where HI and UV cut one another and radius MN draw a circle.
    (21) With centre W and radius LN draw a circle
    (22) Twelve equal and similar triangles of the sun are to be made in the space enclosed by the circles of No. (20) and of No. (21) with the two apexes of two triangles touching line HI.

(D) Method of Making the Border

(23) The width of the border will be equal to the width TN. This will be of deep blue colour and will be provided on all the sides of the flag. However, on the five angles of the flag the external angles will be equal to the internal angles.
    (24) The above mentioned border will be provided if the flag is to be used with a rope. On the other hand, if it is to be hoisted on a pole, the hole on the border on the side AC can be extended according to requirements.

Explanation: The lines HI, RS, FE, ED, JG, OQ, JK and UV are imaginary. Similarly, the external and internal circles of the sun and the other arcs except the crescent moon are also imaginary. These are not shown on the flag.
Aspect ratio

According to the stated geometric construction law, the circumscribing rectangle has an irrational ratio of:

≈ 1:1.21901033… (OEIS A230582).[2] This ratio is the least root of the quartic polynomial[3]

and arises from the addition of the blue border after construction of the red field. The bounding rectangle of the red field alone has the rational aspect ratio 3:4 (=1:1.333…).[1]

The flag of Nepal is the only national flag in use with an aspect ratio less than one (meaning it is taller than it is wide).

Kalahari Inkantation

israel's is another great one that isn't european/north american

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd2v8kqjYwc[/youtube]

it's very disney

Quote from: Pop"icl...! on August 18, 2017, 09:26:20 PM
Can we take a moment to appreciate the beauty of Nepal's flag, while we're at it?

[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Gne3UHKHs[/youtube][/spoiler]

Quote from: Pop"icl...! on August 18, 2017, 09:28:58 PM
If you don't feel like watching the video, from Wikipedia:[spoiler]

QuoteThere is a precise description of the Nepalese national flag in the Constitution of the Kingdom of Nepal, Article 5, Schedule 1, adopted 9 November 1990.[1]
National Flag

(A) Method of Making the Shape inside the Border

(1) On the lower portion of a crimson cloth draw a line AB of the required length from left to right.
    (2) From A draw a line AC perpendicular to AB making AC equal to AB plus one third AB. From AC mark off D making line AD equal to line AB. Join BD.
    (3) From BD mark off E making BE equal to AB.
    (4) Touching E draw a line FG, starting from the point F on line AC, parallel to AB to the right hand-side. Mark off FG equal to AB.
    (5) Join CG.

(B) Method of Making the Moon

(6) From AB mark off H making AH equal to one-fourth of line AB and starting from H draw a line HI parallel to line AC touching line CG at point I.
    (7) Bisect CF at J and draw a line JK parallel to AB touching CG at point K.
    (8) Let L be the point where lines JK and HI cut one another.
    (9) Join JG.
    (10) Let M be the point where line JG and HI cut one another.
    (11) With centre M and with a distance shortest from M to BD mark off N on the lower portion of line HI.
    (12) Touching M and starting from O, a point on AC, draw a line from left to right parallel to AB.
    (13) With centre L and radius LN draw a semi-circle on the lower portion and let P and Q be the points where it touches the line OM respectively.
    (14) With centre M and radius MQ draw a semi-circle on the lower portion touching P and Q.
    (15) With centre N and radius NM draw an arc touching PNQ [sic] at R and S. Join RS. Let T be the point where RS and HI cut one another.
    (16) With Centre T and radius TS draw a semi-circle on the upper portion of PNQ touching it at two points.
    (17) With centre T and radius TM draw an arc on the upper portion of PNQ touching at two points.
    (18) Eight equal and similar triangles of the moon are to be made in the space lying inside the semi-circle of No. (16) and outside the arc of No. (17) of this Schedule.

(C) Method of making the Sun

(19) Bisect line AF at U and draw a line UV parallel to line AB touching line BE at V.
    (20) With centre W, the point where HI and UV cut one another and radius MN draw a circle.
    (21) With centre W and radius LN draw a circle
    (22) Twelve equal and similar triangles of the sun are to be made in the space enclosed by the circles of No. (20) and of No. (21) with the two apexes of two triangles touching line HI.

(D) Method of Making the Border

(23) The width of the border will be equal to the width TN. This will be of deep blue colour and will be provided on all the sides of the flag. However, on the five angles of the flag the external angles will be equal to the internal angles.
    (24) The above mentioned border will be provided if the flag is to be used with a rope. On the other hand, if it is to be hoisted on a pole, the hole on the border on the side AC can be extended according to requirements.

Explanation: The lines HI, RS, FE, ED, JG, OQ, JK and UV are imaginary. Similarly, the external and internal circles of the sun and the other arcs except the crescent moon are also imaginary. These are not shown on the flag.
Aspect ratio

According to the stated geometric construction law, the circumscribing rectangle has an irrational ratio of:

≈ 1:1.21901033… (OEIS A230582).[2] This ratio is the least root of the quartic polynomial[3]

and arises from the addition of the blue border after construction of the red field. The bounding rectangle of the red field alone has the rational aspect ratio 3:4 (=1:1.333…).[1]

The flag of Nepal is the only national flag in use with an aspect ratio less than one (meaning it is taller than it is wide).[/spoiler]

ne@ befuddlement

Go Up