March 28, 2024, 11:53:20 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

online anonyminity

Started by applesauce, February 24, 2014, 01:10:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

applesauce

what experiences do you guys have with keeping yourself as anonymous as possible online?

I'm trying to improve my own anonyminity... obviously creating less info going out there is a good place to start, avoiding "over-sharing" ect, but aside from restricting myself, does boyah have any suggestions?

I just recently installed the tor browser on my desktop, as well as set up a tor client on my phone. Right now the client only works with apps designed to use it (i have a browser and chat client currently ... chat client offers end-to-end encryption if both users are using it) but I can route all traffic through the tor connection if I root, which I think I will.

Other ideas?

ME##

applesauce

Right?? Such facebook addiction  >.<

ME##

Quote from: applesauce on February 24, 2014, 01:22:07 PM
Right?? Such facebook addiction  >.<
it's okay, boyah will still be here.  and with snorkel, boyah is safe [for now]

snoorkel

Using a VPN is highly recommended

I'm connected to a IPv4 vpn at all times, it runs on a server in LA so there isn't really any speed/performance degrade
Disabled IPv6 on my device network settings so all traffic is forced through the VPN (some ISPs are rolling out IPv6 as default for home connections which can be tricky to deal with)

use of VPN causes your home/mobile IP address and host connection info [which can be used to locate your address] to be completed obscured for all websites, stat collectors, etc that record such connection info, which is obviously beneficial for privacy

You <-----> VPN server <-----> Outside Internet

outside internet will never be able to directly 'see' you, only the VPN.

Get a google voice number (free), get the google voice app for andoid/iOS for seamless integration, and always fill out online registration with google voice

Setup a few different emails and keep the one you use for personal/genuine communications very private (bonus if you host it yourself or use hushmail.com)

even with these advanced practices. the government will still find you. the question is ............ who are you trying to hide from?????

applesauce

nothing is guaranteed, but best practices make things better. sure, the NSA can figure out vpns and tor connections and any other type of encryption you're using. they can even intercept package shipments and install radios on hardware bound for offline networks.

but they can't do that for everyone.

the nsa relies on us all being careless with our data in order to analyze everything. the vast majority of data is intercepted at taps on the backbone and isp level, completely unencrypted. as things are right now, they have the ability to store and analyze about 80% of all US internet traffic. the 20% that isn't analyzed isn't because it's too secure, it's because they don't have the manpower, computing power, or money to do it. if everyone were to take some basic steps to secure their own data, making it take more resources to intercept it, the total percentage of data intercepted would decrease.

ME##

i wish i could have the google voice app cry;

Classic

I honestly don't give a shit if they see what I do.

It's not like I do anything anyway.

Daddy

only pedifiles and drug users want to anonymous you criminal

gri

February 26, 2014, 11:25:19 AM #9 Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:55:15 PM by gri
Quote from: applesauce
I'm trying to improve my own anonymity...
chat client offers end-to-end encryption if both users are using it)

Where is your chat client ?
Would like to chat with you being encrypted.

Daddy

Quote from: gri on February 26, 2014, 11:25:19 AM
Quote from: applesauce on February 24, 2014, 01:10:03 PM
I'm trying to improve my own anonymity...
chat client offers end-to-end encryption if both users are using it)

Where is your chat client ?
Would like to chat with you being encrypted.

You should use a decentralized protocol.

gri

February 27, 2014, 05:59:49 PM #11 Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:14:50 PM by gri
Quote from: Khadafi

I need step-by-step instructions
on the forum which keeps members' browsers private..
and which does not multiply "t h e" word.

don't let's

Boyah is already watched by the government by the way

snoorkel

Quote from: gri on February 27, 2014, 05:59:49 PM

on the the the the forum which keeps members' browsers private..

ftw qft

Daddy

Quote from: gri on February 27, 2014, 05:59:49 PM

on the the forum which keeps members' browsers private..

Such information is logged automatically by a web server as the nature of Apache.

Rather than keeping such user information secret we choose to keep it free to the public.

this is freedom!

Go Up