April 23, 2024, 04:55:02 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Required Applications?

Started by Hiro, December 30, 2013, 05:07:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

Trying to figure out what I should put on my new laptop, here's what I'm thinking so far:

Browser: Firefox
Chat: Pidgin
Games: Steam
Music: Spotify + Foobar or MusicBee
Video: VLC
Notes: ResophNotes (Simplenote client)
Torrents: µTorrent
Photo viewer: Picasa

Anything else? Don't know what to use for image editing since GIMP is just okay

ME##

browser: internet explorer 11
chat: skype for windows 8.1
games: games for windows live
music: xbox music
video: xbox video
notes: one note
torrents: illegal
photo viewer: windows photo viewer

[hedy]Zidone

7zip for archives

Audacity for audio editing [glow=black,2,300]and making spooky Hiro face edits[/glow]

I use Mp3tag for making sure my music is tagged to my liking and correcting corrupted tags and shit but foobar may do everything that you need already

PLEASEHELP1991

Quote from: H/RO on December 30, 2013, 05:07:27 PM
Trying to figure out what I should put on my new laptop, here's what I'm thinking so far:

Browser: Firefox Chrome
Chat: Pidgin
Games: Steam and Origin
Music: Spotify + Foobar or MusicBee
Video: VLC
Notes: ResophNotes (Simplenote client)
Torrents: µTorrent Transmission-Qt
Photo viewer: Picasa

Anything else? Don't know what to use for image editing since GIMP is just okay
I love [you]

Hiro

Quote from: [hedy]Zidone on December 30, 2013, 05:23:48 PM
7zip for archives

Audacity for audio editing [glow=black,2,300]and making spooky Hiro face edits[/glow]

I use Mp3tag for making sure my music is tagged to my liking and correcting corrupted tags and shit but foobar may do everything that you need already
ah yeah forgot 7zip and audacity, though I'd like to try some more powerful audio software
whenever i've edited tags in foobar other programs don't seem to read most of them so i might give mp3tag a try

Thyme

some form of antivirus protection would be nice lol

bluaki

I've heard uTorrent has gone downhill and shouldn't be used anymore. I don't know which is more recommended, but the alternatives on Windows include Transmission, qBittorrent, and Deluge.

Use either GIMP or Paint.NET for image editing

If you use Skype, install that too since of course Pidgin doesn't support it.

You might want MS/Libre Office

Adobe Flash is pretty much necessary for web browsing but isn't included with Firefox. You might want a PDF viewer too.

??????

bluaki

Quote from: K L U X on December 30, 2013, 10:32:53 PM
y is utorrent going downhill
Something like becoming adware, sending questionable amounts of personal information to third parties, and/or perhaps having recent examples of remote exploits.

I don't really know about this firsthand but this is merely what I've heard elsewhere. I've also seen a lot of much more subjective complaints about other things like bloat or sluggishness.

6M69I69B9

Quote from: bluaki on December 30, 2013, 10:55:07 PM
Something like becoming adware, sending questionable amounts of personal information to third parties, and/or perhaps having recent examples of remote exploits.

I don't really know about this firsthand but this is merely what I've heard elsewhere. I've also seen a lot of much more subjective complaints about other things like bloat or sluggishness.
crazy

i've nnever had that experience with utorrent so far

i might consider changing soon
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

[hedy]Zidone

i think older versions of utorrent are still easy to find and they're probably good enuff

silvertone

i installed zidoen on my computer

ME##

Quote from: Christmas Thyme on December 30, 2013, 09:41:18 PM
windows defender is microsoft security essentials now on windows huit

Hiro

Quote from: Christmas Thyme on December 30, 2013, 09:41:18 PM
windows 8 basically has MSE built into it but yeah, maybe malwarebytes?

Quote from: [hedy]Zidone on December 31, 2013, 03:00:49 AM
i think older versions of utorrent are still easy to find and they're probably good enuff
on my old computer I used a somewhat older version, with all the ads and things turned off

Quote from: bluaki on December 30, 2013, 10:20:41 PM
I've heard uTorrent has gone downhill and shouldn't be used anymore. I don't know which is more recommended, but the alternatives on Windows include Transmission, qBittorrent, and Deluge.

Use either GIMP or Paint.NET for image editing

If you use Skype, install that too since of course Pidgin doesn't support it.

You might want MS/Libre Office

Adobe Flash is pretty much necessary for web browsing but isn't included with Firefox. You might want a PDF viewer too.
I've used GIMP for a long time and I think I want to finally get Photoshop since GIMP kinda sucks. Paint.NET is okay based on my experiences
I think Skype is preinstalled but I might be wrong
Just installed Flash Player, and both Win8 and Firefox have built-in PDF viewers.
Also would like to get Office 2013, I tried OpenOffice years ago (before the split) and it doesn't compare

strongbad

there are ads now on utorrent
i should change clients

Go Up