April 18, 2024, 06:25:32 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

good anime movies (stand alone, not series oriented)

Started by strongbad, December 02, 2013, 09:20:57 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Nyerp

Quote from: Pancake Persona on January 03, 2014, 04:45:17 AM
i hated akira when i watched it lol

redline is what an f-zero movie would be if one existed. it was good but be prepared for a bullshit ending

i recently watched vampire hunter d: bloodlust and it was pretty neat. i for some reason only had the dub downloaded and the voice acting was pretty goddamn cheesy but everything else was highly enjoyable.

same

how is the ending bullshit?

the english dub is the original version of that movie

AegisReflector

is it just me or is spirited away vastly overrated

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: AegisReflector on January 14, 2014, 11:20:59 AM
is it just me or is spirited away vastly overrated
i dont think its miyazaki's best work but its pretty damn good

??????

Quote from: Nonon Jakuzure on December 02, 2013, 01:31:47 PM
these

and also

metropolis
the girl who leapt through time
wolf children ame and yuki
akira
jin-roh: the wolf brigade

blood: the last vampire is pretty good as well but it's a short film and really you only watch it for the visuals, it's all style no substance

i've heard redline is good as well, but again, all style no substance. huge emphasis on style here, it's absolutely gorgeous.

you might like the afro samurai movies, although i thought they were only fairly decent. the second one is particularly a bit disappointing, and in general they are once again pretty much all style no substance. but the first one is definitely at least enjoyable to watch once.

but yeah watch all of the best miyazaki films as well. these include spirited away, kiki's delivery service, princess mononoke, castle in the sky (aka laputa), my neighbor totoro, lupin iii: castle of cogliostro (you don't have to be a lupin fan to enjoy this movie i assure you), nausicaa of the valley of the wind, and whisper of the heart

maybe howl's moving castle too but it's really overrated imo

maybe porco rosso and the cat returns too but i haven't seen them

also notable is a ghibli production that was not directed by miyazaki: grave of the fireflies
porco rosso is so unmemorable
and grave of the fireflies disappointed me

nasicaa was really really good though~~

also watch arashi no yoru ni
its SO CUTE
watch it

AegisReflector

really the only miyazaki films i've ever enjoyed was princess mononoke, naussica of the valley of the wind, and kiki's delivery service. spirited away, howl's moving castle, and ponyo imo only got their awarded acclaim due to the animation aspect. all three stories are horrendously bland.

Go Up