September 20, 2024, 05:46:40 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Controversial Opinions Thread

Started by Ace, March 07, 2013, 09:42:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

silvertone

a heavy majority of the people would be better off if they didn't do drugs

strongbad

Quote from: silvertone on March 11, 2013, 03:54:32 PM
a heavy majority of the people would be better off if they didn't do drugs

i think it's quite the opposite

bluaki

Quote from: ilovesloths on March 11, 2013, 03:13:40 PM
copyrights on productivity based software (anything that can be used as a tool) should be abolished, everything should be open-source, and there should be a tax to support open source software. this would create an ultimately superior computing experience that is driven by quality instead of one-upping the competition and financial gain that brings down the consumer (i.e. drm)
Free software actually does rely on copyright; licenses like GNU GPL, MIT, BSD, and Apache are all based on copyright, although the license terms grant plenty of freedom while preserving credit. A lack of copyright is simply public domain.

Tax money effectively does fund proprietary software, particularly Microsoft's, because of its immense deployment in education, government offices, government services, etc., but some other governments (like I think France) have more funding directed at open-source software.

strongbad

Quote from: bluaki on March 11, 2013, 07:09:51 PM
Free software actually does rely on copyright; licenses like GNU GPL, MIT, BSD, and Apache are all based on copyright, although the license terms grant plenty of freedom while preserving credit. A lack of copyright is simply public domain.

Tax money effectively does fund proprietary software, particularly Microsoft's, because of its immense deployment in education, government offices, government services, etc., but some other governments (like I think France) have more funding directed at open-source software.

interesting, thanks for calling out my ignorance.
but the principle in my point still stands.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: ilovesloths on March 11, 2013, 03:13:40 PM
copyrights on productivity based software (anything that can be used as a tool) should be abolished, everything should be open-source, and there should be a tax to support open source software. this would create an ultimately superior computing experience that is driven by quality instead of one-upping the competition and financial gain that brings down the consumer (i.e. drm)
this and algorithms/mathematical formulas and biological objects should not be patentable

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Hiro

Quote from: N o t S i d on March 11, 2013, 08:18:11 PM
mbv sounds dated as fuck
it does sound old but i don't see how that's a bad thing or at all unexpected
the thing was made over the course of 20 years

Quote from: Snack Dad on March 11, 2013, 08:42:04 PM
it does sound old but i don't see how that's a bad thing or at all unexpected
the thing was made over the course of 20 years
its just kind of like what's the big deal there is nothing interesting going on in this album all his jokes were used on Loveless and to rehash what he's done is kind of ridiculous why did he spend twenty years bullshitting.

4/10

Mando Pandango

Just because it was made 20 years after the last one doesn't mean it took 20 years to make.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Samus Aran

the recording process was apparently half done in 1997 after the band broke up

i doubt it was touched very often in the 16 years following

Quote from: Sir Popsicle the Sesquipedalian on March 11, 2013, 09:39:37 PM
Just because it was made 20 years after the last one doesn't mean it took 20 years to make.
QuoteIn 2007, describing the imminent release of a new record, Shields said "It sounds like what we sounded likeā€"different but not radically different" and revealed the album was composed from "[the] '96/'97 record half-finished record finished, and then a compilation of stuff we did before that in 1993ā€"94, and a little bit of new stuff."[4]

strongbad

Quote from: Pancake Persona on March 11, 2013, 08:12:54 PM
this and algorithms/mathematical formulas and biological objects should not be patentable

definitely. our patent system is so broken

Samus Aran

Quote from: N o t S i d on March 11, 2013, 09:46:13 PM

right, so it's pretty obvious why it sounds "dated"

because it's literally mostly a record from 16+ years ago

bad jokes notwithstanding

Go Up