April 23, 2024, 07:54:15 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Bitrate

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, February 07, 2013, 09:22:55 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Is it really that advantageous to keep up a 320kbps library?
Most times when people talk about obsessing over lossless formats and how good their experience is, I just kind of roll my eyes and shrug it off.

Space is starting to become an issue, so I was thinking of just converting everything down to 128kbps anyway.

ME##

if lowering the bitrate doesn't harm your enjoyment of your music, go for it.  i'm sure some here will disagree, but that's just them.  goodjob;

[spoiler]lol music [/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

i don't see why not if you personally can't hear the difference (and most can't), it's not for anyone's enjoyment but your own

don't let the elitists shame you into thinking you're having a worse experience wry

famy

don't listen to those fags 128 is definitely noticeably different from 320 :|

i've had some good speakers that have been able to help low bitrate sound better but if you're using an ipod with regular headphones/earbuds which i do and i think you are then you will hear the difference

256 is okay though

Samus Aran

128 is a noticeable step down from 320 for sure, although it's easier to notice with some types of music than with others of course. i listen to a lot of noisy layered stuff so lowering that to 128 would be a crime for me personally

personally, to save a small amount of space, i generally opt for v0 (variable bitrate) instead of 320 for some albums. it's effectively taking a 320kbps rip and putting saran wrap on it to get rid of the blank spots where it doesn't actually peak at 320. it saves as much as 20mb an album sometimes.

however, even with all that going on, i still am pressed for space so i'm in the middle of just moving everything over to an external drive anyway

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: May on February 07, 2013, 12:29:16 PM
128 is a noticeable step down from 320 for sure, although it's easier to notice with some types of music than with others of course. i listen to a lot of noisy layered stuff so lowering that to 128 would be a crime for me personally

personally, to save a small amount of space, i generally opt for v0 (variable bitrate) instead of 320 for some albums. it's effectively taking a 320kbps rip and putting saran wrap on it to get rid of the blank spots where it doesn't actually peak at 320. it saves as much as 20mb an album sometimes.

however, even with all that going on, i still am pressed for space so i'm in the middle of just moving everything over to an external drive anyway

Yeah, I'm going to need to pick up an external hd one of these days. Real soon. Probably today.
How does that work, exactly, with syncing to itunes then?
So, I pump everything onto the external drive and itunes is able to detect everything when it's plugged in?

Samus Aran

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on February 07, 2013, 12:41:34 PM
Yeah, I'm going to need to pick up an external hd one of these days. Real soon. Probably today.
How does that work, exactly, with syncing to itunes then?
So, I pump everything onto the external drive and itunes is able to detect everything when it's plugged in?

yeah. by default (at least on os x), itunes makes its own copies of files and keeps them in the default os x "music" folder, but you can change that so that it simply reads from where ever you want it to

strongbad

i second v0.
if i'm in my car or using earbuds, i can't tell the difference, but with my headphones it's pretty noticable. i figure that it's good to have a higher bitrate for if/when i get nicer speakers and stuff too.

??????

only if you have an absurdly priced listening device
i use v0 and can't tell the difference from .flac or 320kpbs
i can if i use my friend's headphones though
but with flac

strongbad

but with flac

[/quote]
i wouldnt say absurdly priced
my sennheisers were around $150 and i can definitely notice a difference

silvertone

get a portable hard drive and use it for musik only

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: ilovesloths on February 07, 2013, 03:11:28 PM
but with flac

i wouldnt say absurdly priced
my sennheisers were around $150 and i can definitely notice a difference

You using the hd555's?

Quote from: [23]crossdressers on February 07, 2013, 04:13:58 PM
get a portable hard drive and use it for musik only

Yeah, I'm going to pick one up tomorrow I reckon.

don't let's

150 bucks for headphones is kind of absurd. I mean yeah, if you're into that then you'd get some expensive headphones like that, but still...

silvertone

i got 60 dollar sony headp hones that i use for recording and they are really good for listening 2.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Far Beyond Repair on February 07, 2013, 04:56:16 PM
150 bucks for headphones is kind of absurd. I mean yeah, if you're into that then you'd get some expensive headphones like that, but still...

You'd be surprised how much different listening can be through some quality cans.

Go Up