March 28, 2024, 06:15:43 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

splitting INTERNET INTO TWO

Started by ??????, November 04, 2012, 01:11:17 AM

previous topic - next topic

felt

mountain
2 (25%)
pleasehelp
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Go Down

??????

i have those hub port things and i connected another ethernet cable BUT IT WON'T WORK
it'd only gives internet for one computer (i want to have service for two computers)

i don't want a router because my roommate has dsl and it's too expensive and it's just me that needs internet
what does it mean when i have to create a new IP address for my computer?

WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED

PLEASEHELP1991

stop smooching off your roommate and help pay for the dsl
problem solved
I love [you]

snoorkel

what do you mean by a "hub port thing" is it a phone line splitter where the DSL line comes in? or is it a big pox with a bunch of ethernet ports?

...does the DSL connection go into a modem/router? usually they have a router built-in with multiple ports on the back to connect ethernet to, no setup required

??????

Quote from: Patsy Stone on November 04, 2012, 09:13:22 AM
problem solved
why are you so jealous
Quote from: [chalice]lifetrends on November 04, 2012, 12:28:35 PM
what do you mean by a "hub port thing" is it a phone line splitter where the DSL line comes in? or is it a big pox with a bunch of ethernet ports?

...does the DSL connection go into a modem/router? usually they have a router built-in with multiple ports on the back to connect ethernet to, no setup required
it's a big box with a bunch of ethernet ports
the dsl connection goes into a non-wifi router, but it doesn't have a lot of ethernet ports unfortunately

silvertone

why dont you cut the wire in 2 so you get half the internet and your friend gets the other half.

snoorkel

Quote from: Clucky on November 04, 2012, 06:21:43 PM
problem solved
why are you so jealous

the dsl connection goes into a non-wifi router, but it doesn't have a lot of ethernet ports unfortunately

how did you get your hands on ethernet switching equipment

typically you'll need to connect ethernet between one of the  the DSL modem's ports (LAN/0, LAN/1 or something like that), and the "input" port of the switch... which is usually labeled FE WAN (fastethernet WAN) and segregated from the other ports

then use the "output" ports of the switch in strict sequential order (ie use the local-facing port 0 for your PC, don't skip any ports), sometimes that will make a difference

hopefully you don't need to do any configuration with the switch itself

??????

Quote from: [chalice]lifetrends on November 04, 2012, 07:25:05 PM
Quote from: Clucky on November 04, 2012, 06:21:43 PM
problem solved
why are you so jealous

how did you get your hands on ethernet switching equipment

typically you'll need to connect ethernet between one of the  the DSL modem's ports (LAN/0, LAN/1 or something like that), and the "input" port of the switch... which is usually labeled FE WAN (fastethernet WAN) and segregated from the other ports

then use the "output" ports of the switch in strict sequential order (ie use the local-facing port 0 for your PC, don't skip any ports), sometimes that will make a difference

hopefully you don't need to do any configuration with the switch itself
through prayer
i didn't do the sequential order thing

i'LL DO IT TOMORROW
what would i do if i run into the same problem of it allowing internet to one computer, but not the other simultaneously?

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: Clucky on November 04, 2012, 01:11:17 AM
i have those hub port things and i connected another ethernet cable BUT IT WON'T WORK
it'd only gives internet for one computer (i want to have service for two computers)

i don't want a router because my roommate has dsl and it's too expensive and it's just me that needs internet
what does it mean when i have to create a new IP address for my computer?

WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED

Because there's more to web life than just ethernet connections.

Your ethernet address is a hexadecimal thing and you need an IP address as well so that your computer can talk in Internet Protocol. The IP permits your computer to talk to the web. If you have a Windows system, you can set up your own IP address via Network Properties...or if your hub is programmable, you can have the hub assign an IP to your computer.

Without seeing the specifics of what hardware you're using or your system type, I can only speak in general terms. Those are the basics.

Quotewhat would i do if i run into the same problem of it allowing internet to one computer, but not the other simultaneously?
Make sure the two computers have different IP addresses.
Hmph.

PLEASEHELP1991

i'm glad clucky is not able to do anything truly malicious over the internet
I love [you]

Clara Listensprechen

Hmph.

Go Up