September 27, 2024, 07:17:56 AM

1,531,323 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

[performance art]

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, May 29, 2012, 01:23:03 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

QuoteIn May 1974 Beuys flew to New York and was taken by ambulance to the site of the performance, a room in the René Block Gallery on East Broadway. Beuys lay on the ambulance stretcher swathed in felt. He shared this room with a wild coyote, for eight hours over three days. At times he stood, wrapped in a thick, grey blanket of felt, leaning on a large shepherd's staff. At times he lay on the straw, at times he watched the coyote as the coyote watched him and cautiously circled the man, or shredded the blanket to pieces, and at times he engaged in symbolic gestures, such as striking a large triangle or tossing his leather gloves to the animal; the performance continuously shifted between elements that were required by the realities of the situation, and elements that had purely symbolic character. At the end of the three days, Beuys hugged the coyote that had grown quite tolerant of him, and was taken to the airport. Again he rode in a veiled ambulance, leaving America without having set foot on its ground. As Beuys later explained: ‘I wanted to isolate myself, insulate myself, see nothing of America other than the coyote.’[28]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

post interesting performance art

also I have a story related to performance art.

I was talking to this lady on okcupid and she told me that she was a performance artist. She told me she did youtube videos, but the piece that she was most proud of was when she sat in a field for four hours on a hot summer night. apparently a lot of people were being raped at the school she went to so she went to this field and sat there. she was really disappointed no one came to watch her.

idk should this be in the esoteric board

snoorkel

May 29, 2012, 01:55:46 AM #2 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:00:53 AM by vziard
Quote from: N o t S i d on May 29, 2012, 01:23:03 AM
apparently a lot of people were being raped at the school she went to so she went to this field and sat there. she was really disappointed no one came to watch her.

performance art

idk to me most "performance art" borders on circus performance, which I guess is art, but not in the way most performance artists think it is.

like david blaine in a block of ice, performance art, or just some goofy spectacle? a coyote trapped in a room with people watching is a shitty zoo.

but I think 'performance art' succeeds when it really tries to reconcile different art forms, instead of being purely 'conceptual' or whatever the avant-garde en vogue happens to be.

Nyerp

Quote from: vziard on May 29, 2012, 01:55:46 AM
performance art

idk to me most "performance art" borders on circus performance, which I guess is art, but not in the way most performance artists think it is.

like david blaine in a block of ice, performance art, or just some goofy spectacle? a coyote trapped in a room with people watching is a shitty zoo.

but I think 'performance art' succeeds when it really tries to reconcile different art forms, instead of being purely 'conceptual' or whatever the avant-garde en vogue happens to be.
what are some "performance art" pieces that you think succeed.

Also a different lady I was talking to told me that she was going to do a performance piece where she stood in a field as well, but  she would cover herself with meat. this was based off her hearing someone say that women can't be women in urban areas.

I have a hard time with these conceptual pieces because I think that they're too...opinionated? It's like reading a op-ed piece in a newspaper. You're exposed to this idea that is really specific and you probably have no connection to what the writer is talking about. It's hard to take seriously when it's focused on an issue that you can't really relate to (the rape thing and the one where the girl is covered in meat). I can't really connect to the artist because my background is different, and I can't seem enjoy them. It goes back to "interpretation". I guess I could compare it to a songwriter specifically telling you what a song is about, it strips away what meaning you could put on it. I place a lot of value on the interpretation part of art and when you say what you're piece is about then it ruins the magic. I don't know if I made any sense. I tried to say that I agree with you on a lot of conceptual performance art being a goofy spectacle. I hate writing long posts.

YPrrrr

Idk last year (or the one before?) a friend and I ran into some interpretive dancers who asked us to give them a piece of recent news that they could act out as a piece. I told them about all of the Polish governmental officials dying in a plane crash...

I wish I didn't, their performance didn't seem very professional. This one girl essentially kept shoving her face into another dancer's ass like she was a dog at a park. I didn't really get any concept of flying or death from their performance. Although crashing and burning did come to mind. It was actually so awful I had to contain myself from laughing and I quickly left afterwards to avoid further embarrassment

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: NDDR on May 29, 2012, 12:17:02 PMinterpretive dancers
Do people actually making a career out of this? akudood;

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

YPrrrr

Quote from: Pancake Persona on May 29, 2012, 12:22:29 PM
Do people actually making a career out of this? akudood;
Perhaps in conjunction with other things, but these were just college students

silvertone

my favorite performance art piece was when the situationist got all of paris to shut down for a month

Quote from: silvertone on May 29, 2012, 05:28:25 PM
my favorite performance art piece was when the situationist got all of paris to shut down for a month
what really

Hiro

my favorite performance art piece was when i went grocery shopping with my uncle

musica.cards

[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

Go Up