April 16, 2024, 02:38:08 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Buy? y/n

Started by ?????, April 14, 2012, 10:53:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

?????

So I'm thinking about buying a T520 for collage. It would end up setting me back $639.20 (about $160 less than the web price on Lenovo's site).

I have not found any negative reviews about this laptop. But, what does Boyay think?

Here are some more details
[spoiler]

Intel Core i3-2350M Processor (3M Cache, 2.30GHz)
   Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
   15.6" HD (1366 x 768) LED Backlight AntiGlare, with Wireless WAN Antenna
   Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor graphics with dynamic frequency
   6 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
   UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) No Fingerprint Reader
   320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
   DVD Recordable
   6 Cell 2.6Ah Li-Ion Battery
   None
   Intel WiFi Link 1000
   Mobile Broadband ready (no mobile broadband module)
   1 Year Depot/Express Warranty

-Straight copypasta
[/spoiler]

I do plan on running Linux on this; though I am pretty sure that it will work mostly OOTB. If I do purchase this I plan on eventually updating the HDD to and SSD, but it's not a big deal for me. What say ye?
Die for Dethklok

bluaki

I don't really know enough, especially about laptop prices, to give good opinions, but at least for a comparison, the laptop (Satellite L675D) I bought a year ago for a similar price ($600) has:

AMD Athlon II X2 2.30 GHz
17.3" (1600x900) LCD
ATI Radeon HD 4250
4GB DDR3 memory
500GB HDD, 5400rpm

Mostly because I'm picky about screen resolution, I don't think that one sounds as good (although there's also a size difference). Intel graphics is probably worse too, but with Linux, you probably wouldn't need the difference unless you watch large videos often.

?????

April 15, 2012, 05:57:56 PM #2 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:15:59 PM by ?????
I just found an even better deal. Same specs as before except for the screen is now 1600x900 and the CPU is an i5-2450M (2.5GHz). This will cost me $683.24.

It seems like the biggest advantage of the L675D is the screen's size. 17" seems pretty big to me though. What do you usually use yours for and what do you think of it after a year? Also, how is the keyboard and touchpad?
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

I personally don't like laptop screens larger than 15", even 14" is fine if it's only for work/school and general use.

The price seems a little high to me, though people do seem to love that laptop... last week I bought an HP Elitebook 8440p ($400, new), which I think is often directly compared with the T520 or 410. the specs are not quite as impressive, but I can't really imagine when you'd efficiently use 6GB of RAM on a Linux laptop anyway

Elitebook 8440p
- Core i5-560M (2.66 GHz)
- 14" / NVidia NVS 3100 graphics or some shit
- 4GB DDR3 memory
- 250GB HDD, 5400rpm

Things I like about this laptop, many of which Lenovo's T-series seem to share
- keyboard is solid and nice, none of the chiclet bullshit
- adequate number of usb3 ports
- anti-glare screen
- generally solid construction (it's metal), doesn't feel like it's going to start falling apart in 6 months

I have Fedora 16 installed on it, which worked out-of-the-box with the exception of burning discs (read works fine). It also doesn't get nearly the battery life it should, only about 3.5 hours total of the battery's 7-8 max, but I'm figuring out how to tune that with some different linux tools

so yeah go for it

?????

Where did you get the elitebook for that price? Google shopping results has that laptop starting at around $700. Also, I'm not paying for the 6GB upgrade, it's free (fwiw).
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: ,,,-,,, on April 16, 2012, 06:42:40 AM
Where did you get the elitebook for that price? Google shopping results has that laptop starting at around $700. Also, I'm not paying for the 6GB upgrade, it's free (fwiw).

I found it on craigslist from a hardware dealer who resells ex-corporate demo units that have HP warranty and Windows COA stripped y/n

brand spankin new in box and everything, just didn't have windows, which I don't care about anyway

I've seen them for $450-500 on ebay too.

bluaki

Quote from: ,,,-,,, on April 15, 2012, 05:57:56 PM
IIt seems like the biggest advantage of the L675D is the screen's size. 17" seems pretty big to me though. What do you usually use yours for and what do you think of it after a year? Also, how is the keyboard and touchpad?
I agree that the 17" screen is larger than I'd prefer; ideal for me would keep a resolution of at least 1600x900 while also shrinking to like 15" or so. At least when I was looking, the only laptops I saw with a comparable resolution yet smaller physical size were twice the price, so I went with a larger one. It still fits in my backpack.

I've honestly never used any other modern laptop aside from this one, so I don't know how they compare. Keyboard isn't lit, but it's pretty easy to type with and is complete with a numpad and every button I usually see on desktop keyboards except Right Windows. The touchpad reacts to my palm when typing, but it has a nice button to disable it.

I guess some other minor features/issues I'd prefer changed include:
Replace the useless DVD drive with something useful like more battery
Ethernet port is only 100 Mbps (I regularly max this)
Only 3 USB ports (one of which is also eSATA) is a bit too few.
Built-in bluetooth would be nice too, freeing up another USB port when I use it.
Video-out port is VGA instead of HDMI/DisplayPort

Because I prefer not to reboot my typically-Linux desktop, I use it at home for all my Windows things, including:
livestream, which tends to be the most demanding thing I use it for
Visual Studio programming for classes; with Assembly (MASM) this semester
Certain games and visual novels (which I rarely play). I've only once (and briefly) ever tried a game of remotely significant requirements, Portal 2, and although I never messed with raising any settings it seemed to run fine.

I don't actually use it portably too often (like once a month so far), but when I do, my typical tasks include just web browsing, programming/terminal/typing, and watching fullscreen anime. I normally prefer to connect a mouse for web browsing and disable the touchpad when doing anything else.

I transfer files from my desktop to it through ethernet, so the 100Mbps network controller limit makes those transfers go exactly 100Mbps (12.5MB/s) although my desktop's card can handle 10 times that speed. I have no idea what the HDD byte transfer speed is, but apparently it's high enough that it doesn't limit these network speeds.

It takes about 25 seconds to fully boot to a desktop with Linux for me, with about 10s of that spent in the bios splash.

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on April 16, 2012, 04:59:22 PM
Ethernet port is only 100 Mbps (I regularly max this)

this also bothers me about most laptop NICs.

?????

Alright, I think I'm gonna go with the T420 (same as the T520, but 14" instead). Thanks guys.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: ,,,-,,, on April 16, 2012, 06:09:26 PM
Alright, I think I'm gonna go with the T[glow=yellow,2,300]420 [/glow](same as the T520, but 14" instead). Thanks guys.

[move]doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing;  doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; doodthing; excellent choice[/move]

silvertone

that is dope as hell

?????

Quote from: vziard on April 16, 2012, 07:24:17 PM
doodthing; excellent choice

My sarcasm detector is in the shop atm

Quote from: silvertoné on April 16, 2012, 07:26:56 PM
that is dope as hell

You can get in on the SAVINGS TOOO!!!! You have to use the Barnes and Nobles discount from Lenovo's site. The deal ends Friday.
Die for Dethklok

silvertone

the T420 is on sale until...4/20 this is so great.

?????

Quote from: silvertoné on April 16, 2012, 07:29:21 PM
the T420 is on sale until...4/20 this is so great.

Uhh.. no until 4/19.
Die for Dethklok

silvertone

Go Up