Android 167.8.3.2 Raspberry Danish with Chocolate Sauce Announced!

Started by Daddy, March 06, 2012, 04:24:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Hiroglyph on March 07, 2012, 09:09:18 PMit's like whining that your mid-level computer from '05 won't upgrade to windows 7 or something
It's actually more like whining that the $2000 computer you bought last month won't run Windows 7.0.1

uh android doesn't crash at all although quite often shitty apps will, because the android market honestly isn't very good had horrible quality control compared to ios.

android doesn't crash at all, which is why jim v and i have phones that crash constantly  akudood;

The goddamn keyboard crashes on my phone, Hiro. And this is a weekly event. Sometimes it randomly loses connection with the network and refuses to connect to anything. If I'm in a place where I can't access any network, I'll turn on wifi; sometimes this software crashes, my phone freezes for 30 seconds, and then it's back. If I retry, it might connect.

Also, there's just general bugginess. Assume I have friends 1 through 50 in my contact list. I select friend 3's name to send a text. Android decides I selected friend 29 who's not even visible on my screen. akudood;

Same happens with the alarm clock software. I set have 20 alarms and want to enable alarms 3 through 8. It decides I clicked on 12 through 20. akudood;

If only Android phones allowed you to update your fucking operating system then this wouldn't be a problem. akudood;

Aside from the wifi, these can't possibly be hardware issues. They're merely the byproduct of the worthless programmers at Google and it's impossible to shift the blame to anyone else.

You can praise Android for being more "customizable", but I don't give a shit since it really means nothing more than animated wallpapers and changing lock screens. I'd prefer an OS to work and work well with the ability to update without voiding my warranty.

in order to really do shit with an android phone and make it not suck, you need to root if. if you plan on hacking your phone then just get a goddamn iphone for a lower price with better software reliability and battery life akudood;

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

snoorkel

Quote from: Pancake Persona on March 08, 2012, 12:53:56 AM
It's actually more like whining that the $2000 computer you bought last month won't run Windows 7.0.1
android doesn't crash at all, which is why jim v and i have phones that crash constantly  akudood;

The goddamn keyboard crashes on my phone, Hiro. And this is a weekly event. Sometimes it randomly loses connection with the network and refuses to connect to anything. If I'm in a place where I can't access any network, I'll turn on wifi; sometimes this software crashes, my phone freezes for 30 seconds, and then it's back. If I retry, it might connect.

Also, there's just general bugginess. Assume I have friends 1 through 50 in my contact list. I select friend 3's name to send a text. Android decides I selected friend 29 who's not even visible on my screen. akudood;

Same happens with the alarm clock software. I set have 20 alarms and want to enable alarms 3 through 8. It decides I clicked on 12 through 20. akudood;

If only Android phones allowed you to update your fucking operating system then this wouldn't be a problem. akudood;

Aside from the wifi, these can't possibly be hardware issues. They're merely the byproduct of the worthless programmers at Google and it's impossible to shift the blame to anyone else.

You can praise Android for being more "customizable", but I don't give a shit since it really means nothing more than animated wallpapers and changing lock screens. I'd prefer an OS to work and work well with the ability to update without voiding my warranty.

in order to really do shit with an android phone and make it not suck, you need to root if. if you plan on hacking your phone then just get a goddamn iphone for a lower price with better software reliability and battery life akudood;

i've literally never had anything on my thunderbolt crash, nor have I ever experienced any bugs like that

I mean if you hate your phone so much what do you expect it to do bro

don't let's

I've had my phone crash or freeze maybe two or three times out of the year that I've had it so far. And I've had no problems with the keyboard, texts, wifi, or anything like that.

?????

I've had my SGSII for about 6 months and have not had any problems with it. Then again I only ran the stock ROM for about a week.
Die for Dethklok

Hiro

i have had absolutely none of those problems happen to my phone whatsoever.

you can also change the entire homescreen interface. for instance, mine is currently set up to be similar to the windows phone's metro interface. i haven't rooted my phone or anything.

you just bought a really cheap shitty phone, ron.

Quote from: Snowy on March 08, 2012, 09:10:14 AM
Hiro, Gingerbread is 2.3.
did I say otherwise?

Hiro

bluaki

Quote from: Hiroglyph on March 10, 2012, 12:17:27 AM
also, does anyone here use an app killer?
I don't anymore because I felt like 4.0 improved task management enough to replace my need for one.

Before the upgrade from Gingerbread, I used Advanced Task Killer.

Hiro

Quote from: bluaki on March 10, 2012, 12:44:59 AM
I don't anymore because I felt like 4.0 improved task management enough to replace my need for one.

Before the upgrade from Gingerbread, I used Advanced Task Killer.
that was a bad call, app killers are horrible and actually make your phone run worse. at least you're not using it anymore.
what phone do you have?

bluaki

Quote from: Hiroglyph on March 10, 2012, 02:33:09 AM
that was a bad call, app killers are horrible and actually make your phone run worse. at least you're not using it anymore.
what phone do you have?
How are they horrible? It's not like I had it set to run in the background constantly; I only opened it once in a rare while and used it for what I wanted to do at the time.

I have T-Mobile Nexus S

Daddy

Quote from: Hiroglyph on March 07, 2012, 09:09:18 PMbut honestly jmv we're only on android version 4 right now  akudood;
uh 4.5 and 5.0 were announced already.

there are very few phones on the market now that even support 4.0.

And the hardware argument made earlier is stupid.  There isn't that much of a hardware difference to go from something like 2.2 to 2.3 or such.

However, with new phones being released all the time and new versions of Android also being released very rapidly, older phones won't get updates simply because it's not worth the vendor's time to release it on all of its older hardware when the release will be outdated anyhow.

The reason this bothers me isn't because "lol i need most recent shit" but because for the longest time I couldn't run apps on my phone that required Gingerbread while I was still on Froyo. ICS is out and I've had my phone for slightly less than a year.  Anything written for ICS won't run on my phone. 

Google's release cycle fucks people over if they don't have the most recent phones.  iOS doesn't have this problem unless the phone is several years old or falls into a category where there is a new hardware addition (compass in 3GS, for example). I don't think WP7 also has a problem with this. 

Is there any reason for Google to release so many versions of Android in less than an 18month period?

Froyo was released in May 2010
Gingerbread was released in December 2010
Honeycomb was released in February 2011 (though admittedly for tablets or Google TV devices)
ICS was released in October 2011 and was meant to unify tablets and phones

4 releases of an OS in 17 months?

Talk about Jellybean and Key Lime Pie began in late february / early march when only one device even supported ICS.

Slowing the release cycle down to once per year would at least give vendors a reason to port shit to older phones where hardware isn't an issue.  If a phone is on 2.3 right now and the vendor knows 4.5 is 6 months down the line why would they bother porting a hardware capable phone to 4.0 when the work will be rendered relatively useless once 4.5 is out? Once 4.5 is out there may be either this issue again or the vendor might finally port it to 4.5 after a few months or release 4.0

This is essentially what happened to my phone. With all the new updates it took Samsung forever to release 2.3 and by the time they did that ICS was out.  I dont' expect an update because that may be a hardware limitation but if there wasn't one why would Samsung bother releasing 2.3 for my phone when ICS would be out?

One version per year would not kill them.  Google wouldn't need to release 90000 fixes for each version since they could take time to actually properly program shit.  They still can show off the new version of android at MWC, Google I/O, and all of that shit. Vendors and developers have time to code for one version, and end users can actually have a phone that can run new software for more than 8 months.

I know google likes releasing shit like they are on meth (like a browser that has been out for less than 4 years yet the developer channel is on version 19).  People aren't paying for that and having an older version of Chrome doesn't prevent you from using chrome happily less than a year later.

What reasonable defense do you have for Google releasing so many versions of Android within a short period of time? Why would one version per year be anything but a relief for vendors or consumers?

don't let's

So you just want them to halt progress or slow it down instead of advancing it whenever they can? And were those apps really that important to you that it ruined your phone experience so much? What apps were they anyway?

Daddy

Quote from: Far Beyond Repair on March 13, 2012, 07:02:52 PM
So you just want them to halt progress or slow it down instead of advancing it whenever they can?
Is it really advancing when the rapid release schedule results in the need for many bug fixes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#v2.2.x_Froyo
Look at Froyo, Gingerbread, and ICS.  Had they just waited a bit longer I'm sure the need for some of these fixes wouldn't be needed.

Considering how many devices actually support the new release then yes slowing down can help. 

And were those apps really that important to you that it ruined your phone experience so much? What apps were they anyway?
If you start getting the "this application is not compatible with your device" shit when you go to download stuff then yes it does.

I'm on gingerbread now and I don't remember which apps were giving me that issue between froyo and gingerbread.  I know Chrome does it between gingerbread and ics.

don't let's

But were the apps really all that important and the "life and death" you seem to want to make it out to be?

Personally I've run across 2 or 3 apps that I've maybe wanted to download and one that I really did that wasn't compatible with froyo.

To me it seems like you're taking this situation way too personally for some reason. Even if you may not be now, (though you still could be) look at how worked up over this you were. It's just a phone. Do a little more research before you buy stuff. Not everything is going to work exactly how you think it will or want it to. Buyers remorse and all that. And just because some apps aren't unusable it doesn't mean that the whole phone becomes trash and  is somehow magically unusable now.

ME##

Quote from: Khadafi on March 13, 2012, 07:12:32 PM
Is it really advancing when the rapid release schedule results in the need for many bug fixes?

This should be repeated to all departments of Google.
Quote from: Far Beyond Repair on March 14, 2012, 06:23:31 AM
But were the apps really all that important and the "life and death" you seem to want to make it out to be?

Personally I've run across 2 or 3 apps that I've maybe wanted to download and one that I really did that wasn't compatible with froyo.

To me it seems like you're taking this situation way too personally for some reason. Even if you may not be now, (though you still could be) look at how worked up over this you were. It's just a phone. Do a little more research before you buy stuff. Not everything is going to work exactly how you think it will or want it to. Buyers remorse and all that. And just because some apps aren't unusable it doesn't mean that the whole phone becomes trash and  is somehow magically unusable now.

How is he supposed to do more research?  When JMV bought his phone, unless I'm gravely mistaken, Froyo was the most recent version of Android.  It's not like Samsung releases its phones with a giant press release stating that it's not going to update in a reasonable time frame or update at all.  If you have to buy a non-Nexus Android phone thinking that you're not going to be able to use newer apps in a few months time, then lol.

Of course not.  His phone's unusable trash because the native messaging app and dialler crash. 

Go Up