Android 167.8.3.2 Raspberry Danish with Chocolate Sauce Announced!

Started by Daddy, March 06, 2012, 04:24:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Unfortunately, like the last 30 releases, it won't be released on the device I just bought 3 hours ago but Google promises that it will work with vendors to ensure devices will get future updates as long as the hardware can run it.  happydood;

But honestly what the fuck Jellybean and Key Lime Pie? What the hell is Google going?  My fucking cell phone only finally got Gingerbread in November. This was almost a year after it was fucking released.  It was also one of the few phones where I couldn't find a ROM to do it (Galaxy S 4G).  Updating to Gingerbread just changed what constantly crashed and now a lot of features that make it a cell phone (dialing numbers, texting) crash cnotedood;

I've been hesitant to buy another phone simply because I know that google will announce some shit and I'd be unlucky enough to get a device that never sees updates from the vendor.  Relying on ROMs also shouldn't be the solution which many people seem to suggest.

I also don't want to stay with this phone because all the fucking crashing .Damn Korean phone  akudood;

Why does Google release so many fucking versions of shit rather than just improving what they have and keeping it on the same version with different subversions that would at least see updates on devices?

ME##

The fact that Google's looking to speed up the update cycle when it can't even make sure that recent phones receive hardware updates is disgusting.  Has any non-Nexus device even been upgraded officially to ICS? and even then, not all versions of the Nexus S even have the update.  awdood;

Google should really make a list of hardware components that supported by one version of Android, force OEMs to make their shitty skins optional so Google can update the OS without having to wait months for the OEM to just say, 'Whelp, we can't get our skin on because we skimped on the ROM!  giggle; giggle;'.

[spoiler]The only 'smart'phone OSes that seem like viable options for people who don't want to fuck with their phone [because they really shouldn't have to in order to make it decent] are iPhones and [lol wait for it] [glow=black,2,300]Windows Phones[/glow] as you're guaranteed at least two cycles of major OS updates when the average Android phone might get a minor .0.0.0.0.1 update after the OEM and carrier fill it with their respective bloatware[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Also, it makes me lough when Androidfags claim that the update process is getting better, because it honestly seems like it's been getting worse.  And I won't be surprised when Motorola Mobility continues to release Gingerbread devices even after it's purchased by Google. [/spoiler]

?????

ino wut u mean dawg

But, to be fair, it's not really Google's fault.
Die for Dethklok

Daddy

Quote from: ā,ā,,-ā,Øā,Ŗā, on March 06, 2012, 06:01:46 PM
ino wut u mean dawg

But, to be fair, it's not really Google's fault.
It is when they are releasing new versions of Android at a rate significantly faster than vendors are updating phones.

If they simply slowed down the release cycle and put more pressure on vendors to keep hardware up to date then it wouldn't be as bad.  However, when it can take a year, if at all, for a vendor to release an update for Android while Google has already released 2 or 3 updates in that same period then anyone with a phone less than a year old can run into issues where they can't run some apps.

If something requires 2.3 and the phone is still on 2.2 or requires ICS and it's still on Gingerbread or Froyo it sucks for owners of the devices and the developers.  Had Google taken its time in releasing new version of Android this wouldn't be as bad.

Apple gets a lot of flak for shit but it at least keeps its devices up to date as long as the hardware isn't gonna be hampered and run horribly.

don't let's

You know you don't always have to absolutely have the latest iteration as soon as it comes out.

?????

Quote from: Far Beyond Repair on March 06, 2012, 07:18:52 PM
You know you don't always have to absolutely have the latest iteration as soon as it comes out.

Blasphemy!

Quote from: Khadafi on March 06, 2012, 07:09:31 PM
It is when they are releasing new versions of Android at a rate significantly faster than vendors are updating phones.

If they simply slowed down the release cycle and put more pressure on vendors to keep hardware up to date then it wouldn't be as bad.  However, when it can take a year, if at all, for a vendor to release an update for Android while Google has already released 2 or 3 updates in that same period then anyone with a phone less than a year old can run into issues where they can't run some apps.

If something requires 2.3 and the phone is still on 2.2 or requires ICS and it's still on Gingerbread or Froyo it sucks for owners of the devices and the developers.  Had Google taken its time in releasing new version of Android this wouldn't be as bad.

Apple gets a lot of flak for shit but it at least keeps its devices up to date as long as the hardware isn't gonna be hampered and run horribly.

So Google should slow down because carries and vendors are not able to deploy updates quickly enough? That's stupid. Google can push those updates to their Nexus phones anyway. And, arguably, the people that do care about their version are more likely to flash a ROM on their phones.

It does suck that phones don't get quick updates. But Google should not leave the power users hanging.

namsaying?
Die for Dethklok

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Far Beyond Repair on March 06, 2012, 07:18:52 PM
then you're running an outdated phone and google refuses to support you

i really don't think android will be around for very long. you'll find the people who love fiddling with shit for days and weeks just to get it to work and they love linux shit like gentoo. the average consumer, however, doesn't like having zero support and immediate obsolescence the minute they buy their phone, and that's the problem with android. iphones bought two years ago can still run 99.5% of the latest ios software with zero issues, while an android phone you bought yesterday for $300 can't even install google's most recent android update. hell, most android phones can't even install any updates.

android fucking sucks. the instant you point it out, people scream about ios being locked down and apple updating too often and other bullshit when SPOILERS android's even worse. there's also the fact that android is very unstable as a whole and prone to crashing an assload. it doesn't help that when something goes wrong whiny android users put all the blame on the user and say "it's not google's fault." google's the goddamn developer with billions in the bank. It's their fault.  akudood;

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

bluaki

I don't really get why applying the same OS upgrade to various devices takes so much effort. It's not much of a problem with non-phone OSes, basic hardware architecture shouldn't be significantly different (all phones seem to use just ARM), the Linux kernel should allow hardware drivers to usually continue to work as far as I know, and manufacturers shouldn't have a reason to mess around deep inside Android's source code at areas sensitive to change.

Though I'm not incredibly familiar with this sort of thing, the only issues I'd imagine existing in a sane development organization delaying distribution of an upgrade would be specific regression bugs on a limited set of hardware, which should be relatively uncommon, and also increased system requirements beyond what the device has (which should prohibit rather than delay the upgrade)

ncba93ivyase

It's probably tied a lot into profitability.

Two year old phones don't make money anymore, so there's no reason to support them. There are also the "geeks" (i.e. dumbasses) who need a $500 phone that runs the latest version of Android with cool and unique features, and if any phone can do it, there's no drive for it.

When Google insists Android 4.0 needs a 1GHz processor and nothing less, you know it's bullshit. The iPhone 4 was running around 800 MHz and still receives dandy support from Apple. Even the 3GS is supported.  akudood;

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

don't let's

Quote from: Pancake Persona on March 07, 2012, 01:06:46 AM

i really don't think android will be around for very long. you'll find the people who love fiddling with shit for days and weeks just to get it to work and they love android shit like gentoo. the average consumer, however, doesn't like having zero support and immediate obsolescence the minute they buy their phone, and that's the problem with android. iphones bought two years ago can still run 99.5% of the latest ios software with zero issues, while an android phone you bought yesterday for $300 can't even install google's most recent android update. hell, most android phones can't even install any updates.

android fucking sucks. the instant you point it out, people scream about ios being locked down and apple updating too often and other bullshit when SPOILERS android's even worse. there's also the fact that android is very unstable as a whole and prone to crashing an assload.

But the average consumer actually doesn't need or demand a lot of support beyond their phone not dying on them. Before smart phones came along what kind of support was there for cellphones? And people survived just fine then.

I'm still running 2.2 android on a low end phone that I've had for a year now and still works just fine. The only that could be better is the phone memory but I knew exactly what I getting so it doesn't really bother me. I'm sure the latest version would be better but this still works just fine. The outdated versions still work so I don't really see why you're getting so upset here.

And I'm not discounting the fact that it probably would be better if they had some kind of unified thing going on here, but still...

it doesn't help that when something goes wrong whiny android users put all the blame on the user and say "it's not google's fault." google's the goddamn developer with billions in the bank. It's their fault.  akudood;

More often than not it's probably a little bit of everybody's fault in that case, the user, google, and the phone manufacturer.

snoorkel

my opinion is that unless you're really eager to use some newly-supported software feature, hardware matters more anyway

I'm still using gingerbread and I don't really care, it goes fast

Snowy

I'm planing on getting the HTC Inspire (I think) and from what I've read it supports Android 4.0. I think it's a wise purchase (dare I even call it that, with my upgrade it costs me nothing). It looks like it'll probably keep getting support until the hardware can't run the newest OS.

?????

i really don't think android will be around for very long. you'll find the people who love fiddling with shit for days and weeks just to get it to work and they love android shit like gentoo.

I'm p biased and this is sorta why I want android to keep going.

Quote from: Snowy on March 07, 2012, 07:09:13 PM
(dare I even call it that, with my upgrade it costs me nothing)

You have to sign a contract, I'm assuming.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: Snowy on March 07, 2012, 07:09:13 PM
I'm planing on getting the HTC Inspire (I think) and from what I've read it supports Android 4.0. I think it's a wise purchase (dare I even call it that, with my upgrade it costs me nothing). It looks like it'll probably keep getting support until the hardware can't run the newest OS.

if i remember anything the Inspire is basically Thunderbolt for AT&T

it's a great phone  hocuspocus;

i really don't think android will be around for very long. you'll find the people who love fiddling with shit for days and weeks just to get it to work and they love android shit like gentoo. the average consumer, however, doesn't like having zero support and immediate obsolescence the minute they buy their phone, and that's the problem with android. iphones bought two years ago can still run 99.5% of the latest ios software with zero issues, while an android phone you bought yesterday for $300 can't even install google's most recent android update. hell, most android phones can't even install any updates.

android fucking sucks. the instant you point it out, people scream about ios being locked down and apple updating too often and other bullshit when SPOILERS android's even worse. there's also the fact that android is very unstable as a whole and prone to crashing an assload. it doesn't help that when something goes wrong whiny android users put all the blame on the user and say "it's not google's fault." google's the goddamn developer with billions in the bank. It's their fault.  akudood;

eh I think your argument is a little one-sided. you forget that the average consumer doesn't know shit about anything, and will just use their new $300 phone for texts and calling and 3D Snake without ever being concerned about OS updates.

more apps are developed for iOS, so it has that going for it.

Android is a much more open platform because it allows more direct access to the phone's hardware, which wins it for me. do you know how hard it is to run things like openvpn, an ssh tunnel, or even a goddamn text editor on a locked iphone? having switched to android after a few iphones, I actually find android a lot easier to "just use" despite apple's built-for-dads design strategy

Hiro

in a lot of instances the hardware simply can't support the newer versions, so i don't like that argument. it's like whining that your mid-level computer from '05 won't upgrade to windows 7 or something. phone technology is advancing at a pretty quick pace at the moment.

Quotei really don't think android will be around for very long. you'll find the people who love fiddling with shit for days and weeks just to get it to work and they love android shit like gentoo.
whatlol i don't like gentoo or really any desktop linux much at all but i love fiddling with android because it's incredibly easy
and thinking android won't last much longer is kind of silly to think since it has such a huge market share right now and it's starting to improve a bit

Quotethe average consumer, however, doesn't like having zero support and immediate obsolescence the minute they buy their phone, and that's the problem with android.
android has plenty of support (especially of the non-official variety) but i honestly don't get what sorts of problems the average person would have that they'd need excessive help with
i mean yeah apple has the apple store and their applecare stuff which is probably better for the average idiot

Quoteiphones bought two years ago can still run 99.5% of the latest ios software with zero issues, while an android phone you bought yesterday for $300 can't even install google's most recent android update.
not really true, although in some instances sure

Quotehell, most android phones can't even install any updates.
they actually can but most android phones cannot upgrade to ICS because most android phones are made to be cheap shitty smartphones

Quoteandroid fucking sucks. the instant you point it out, people scream about ios being locked down and apple updating too often and other bullshit when SPOILERS android's even worse.
i don't make any of those arguments and both operating systems have their benefits and downsides, I just don't like the lack of customization on iphones

Quotethere's also the fact that android is very unstable as a whole and prone to crashing an assload. it doesn't help that when something goes wrong whiny android users put all the blame on the user and say "it's not google's fault." google's the goddamn developer with billions in the bank. It's their fault.  akudood;
uh android doesn't crash at all although quite often shitty apps will, because the android market honestly isn't very good had horrible quality control compared to ios.

the things that make ios better are due to apple's cohesiveness and strong guidelines for how everything should work, along with the fact that only they make the phones. android is spread over a huge variety of phone styles, manufacturers, quality, etc so it tends to be a mixed bag. I would like if google starting taking real control over android requirements and whatnot but the phone companies would not really like that and would do everything they could to either prevent google from doing that or simply try to find a different os that would let them each cheaply and easily modify it to their own proprietary "styles".

but honestly jmv we're only on android version 4 right now  akudood;

Go Up