September 28, 2024, 10:20:36 AM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

does anyone have a "SOUND COLLECTION"

Started by silvertone, January 27, 2012, 09:19:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

silvertone

like of Found Sounds??
i only have some Basic Sounds (light rain fall, footsteps, umbrella opening, doors slamming etc) i want to collect more sounds but i need a quicker/more portable Means to do so. Do U collect sounds,  how do U store your Sound Collection, + what recording equipment do you use.

don't let's

I've thought about doing something like this before but I haven't done it. Though I do have thunderstorm that I recorded on my old mp3 player years ago.

silvertone

Quote from: Dead End Moon on January 27, 2012, 09:41:38 PM
I've thought about doing something like this before but I haven't done it. Though I do have thunderstorm that I recorded on my old mp3 player years ago.
they are cool to have, and it is fun to make sound collages, but i only made 2 piss poor ones. i want to get into the habit of making them again.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

YES!

In addition to the generic beach, rainfall, woods at dusk things, this past year I've been doing some extensive collecting of my own.

Bought a zoom H4N for incredibly cheap on ebay and went to work, recording whatever I could.
Mostly, I started doing it when I bought my sampler. You can make drums out of anything you know. You can take household objects, like couch cushions and a wooden dowel, record a few hits,  roll them through a low pass filter and add a few drips of reverb and you have a great low kick.

But then, I would take it hiking with me. I have hours of samples from different locations of running stream water at different ranges. So, I'd get a shot of water running between rocks at like four inches, or as close as I comfortably could. Then I'd do one at a foot and a half and finish with a three foot shot, depending on how loud it was.

Toss them into a simple daw and combine them and you have some royalty free ambient noise you can use!
Ambient noise by itself too is wonderful. I actually recorded an entire two hour hike last summer with the intention of getting footsteps and bird calls and cool woodsy stuff, something you could fall asleep to, but it didn't turn out. I might try it again with a better recorder. Maybe pump some real low key piano in there too. Something to put on before bed, you know?

But, when I get time, I love taking the H4 out and recording random household objects and tossing them into my mpc. Everything's labeled and is organized by type of sound.

It's really addicting.

silvertone

i might have to Pick Myself up one of these "zoom h4n" 

i have a battery powered tape player[not a 4track] that can record things i want to try that before i Buy a Thing.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: silvertoné on January 27, 2012, 10:21:59 PM
i might have to Pick Myself up one of these "zoom h4n" 

i have a battery powered tape player[not a 4track] that can record things i want to try that before i Buy a Thing.

I found one on ebay for a little over $150 at the time.
Expect to pay around $200 for one.

If you strictly want to record one hit stuff or up close samples, you might want to look into Tascam's Dr-05.
It's actually really really nice, versatile and fairly cheap when comparing it to zoom's stuff.
Around $100.

Thyme

yeah but they weren't found they were supplied for a class
and i can't use them since they're meant to be used with soundtrack pro and i have a pc at home

snoorkel

boognish that sounds  really cool, you've enlightened me

I have some folders of soundss, but they are mostly shitty worthless sounds I collected for making various stupid movies

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: vziard on January 28, 2012, 05:27:10 PM
boognish that sounds  really cool, you've enlightened me

I have some folders of soundss, but they are mostly shitty worthless sounds I collected for making various stupid movies

Seriously, do it!
It's just another way you can look at things around you.
Everything can become something you can really use.

Hiro

my grandma gave me a huge stack of old records that she got at a yard sale, one of them is all sound effects

Go Up