April 18, 2024, 08:37:12 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

reasons why I love linux

Started by snoorkel, January 26, 2012, 10:32:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

1. it's silly. right now some packages I'm downloading are spamdyke and maildrop-toaster
2. package managers. imagine, instead of going to VLC's website and selecting,downloading,installing the app, you type "install vlc" and it does it for you. linux has this
3. robustly extensible. edit system files, upgrade kernels, swap plugins and services on-the-fly, never reboot
4. lightweight, you could run linux (without a desktop) on like 2mb RAM
5. comes in many flavors, all have fresh and unique tastes

what are some of the reason why you love linux?

bluaki

Quote from: vziard on January 26, 2012, 10:32:57 PM
upgrade kernels, ... , never reboot
This does not go together. Kernel upgrades are pretty much the only thing that require a reboot, although some other things require restarting the X server which for a desktop machine might as well be a reboot.

lightweight, you could run linux (without a desktop) on like 2mb RAM
With 2mb, bash and sshd are probably out of the question. Even top probably wouldn't be able to run.

it's silly. right now some packages I'm downloading are spamdyke and maildrop-toaster
when I was trying to recompile ffmpeg the other day, I noticed it (optionally and by default) uses some "libschroedinger"
I've seen some other silly package names too

I rather like its hardware management capabilities. Aside from of course things created with only Windows drivers, the hardware that is supported will work immediately without some of the ridiculousness Windows hardware management has of failing to detect devices, reinstalling the driver for basic things like "USB Mass Storage Device" and "HID Mouse" every time it's connected to a different USB port, and not-uncommon conflicts between unrelated drivers.

and when a device is connected, there's quite a few rather nice things you can do with it. The main reason I switched to Linux in the first place was that, after getting a 16:9 monitor, I realized that it's completely impossible in Windows to force my graphics driver (for the computer I used at the time) to output in a 16:9 resolution, when X11's automatic configuration immediately showed me the ideal resolution. I more recently have several sound tweaks for things like playing/rerouting line-in and using my bluetooth headset and I also use my desktop as a router with its extra ethernet port and wifi antenna.

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on January 26, 2012, 11:38:11 PM
This does not go together. Kernel upgrades are pretty much the only thing that require a reboot, although some other things require restarting the X server which for a desktop machine might as well be a reboot.
With 2mb, bash and sshd are probably out of the question. Even top probably wouldn't be able to run.
when I was trying to recompile ffmpeg the other day, I noticed it (optionally and by default) uses some "libschroedinger"
I've seen some other silly package names too

I rather like its hardware management capabilities. Aside from of course things created with only Windows drivers, the hardware that is supported will work immediately without some of the ridiculousness Windows hardware management has of failing to detect devices, reinstalling the driver for basic things like "USB Mass Storage Device" and "HID Mouse" every time it's connected to a different USB port, and not-uncommon conflicts between unrelated drivers.

and when a device is connected, there's quite a few rather nice things you can do with it. The main reason I switched to Linux in the first place was that, after getting a 16:9 monitor, I realized that it's completely impossible in Windows to force my graphics driver (for the computer I used at the time) to output in a 16:9 resolution, when X11's automatic configuration immediately showed me the ideal resolution. I more recently have several sound tweaks for things like playing/rerouting line-in and using my bluetooth headset and I also use my desktop as a router with its extra ethernet port and wifi antenna.

2mb was a little exaggerated, I know you probably couldn't run a full environment with that  n_u

and I guess it's true that you can't update linux kernels without a reboot, though I do it with a combination of openvz's tools and http://www.ksplice.com/

LCK

Quote from: Snowy on January 27, 2012, 04:18:42 AM
Didn't they get Linux to run on a potato a few years ago? confuseddood;

They did girl;

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2008/12/linux-on-a-potato.html
can you install Linux in my head too

bluaki

They did girl;

That's a satirical article. It's practically impossible to really do that, especially not with just a single potato.

Quote from: Trevor on January 27, 2012, 06:38:31 AM
can you install Linux in my head too
This reminds me of a certain comic: http://xkcd.com/644/

snoorkel

potatoes: nature's ideal bit processors

PLEASEHELP1991

They did girl;

All Aperture Science personality constructs will remain functional in apocalyptic, low power environments of as few as 1.1 volts.
I love [you]

bluaki

Quote from: Edina Monsoon on January 27, 2012, 11:14:17 AM
All Aperture Science personality constructs will remain functional in apocalyptic, low power environments of as few as 1.1 volts.
Even if you somehow have a 1.1 volt computer, you would be running the operating system on that computer itself, not the potato n_u

Quote from: vziard on January 27, 2012, 11:04:34 AM
potatoes: nature's ideal bit processors
This would require a ton of potatoes, run slowly, and react poorly to operational heat, but in the end you could truly claim that the operating system runs on potato hardware. Not practical at all.

and your computer would start to smell bad after a while

?????

It's free and I didn't want to be stuck with XP.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

I got a new HP elitebook last wek and installed Fedora 16 + GTK3 it's really nice

learning that managing laptop power saving with linux is kind of a "DIY" experience though

Mobius135

I love it for its open-ness and customization. Sadly I've never been able to get into it as much as I like, I've never found any good resources that worked for me. Not saying there aren't great resources.
.gif[/img]

?????

Quote from: vziard on April 13, 2012, 09:34:13 PM
GTK3 it's really nice

What the fuck?

Quote from: Mobius135 on April 24, 2012, 02:11:08 PM
I love it for its open-ness and customization. Sadly I've never been able to get into it as much as I like, I've never found any good resources that worked for me. Not saying there aren't great resources.

It does take a while to become comfortable customizing stuff.
Die for Dethklok

Hiro

i'm going to give ubuntu another try right now

snoorkel

silvertone

why dont u Bunt that into the trash hell yaaaaaa

Go Up