September 20, 2024, 06:27:54 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

attn mac users

Started by ncba93ivyase, January 18, 2012, 04:21:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ncba93ivyase

Click on your desktop.

Right click -> Show View Options

Click on "Sort by:" and select "Snap to Grid"

Enjoy not looking like a fuck; ing retard with piles of unnavigable files and folders and enjoy everything being neat and organized forever. Adjust those sliders if you want things more tightly packed without the mess.

And if you open a folder and do the same thing there, you can click "set as defaults" and every folder you visit from then on will be neat.

Seriously, why the fuck are mac users so retarded and why don't you take any effort to learn how your OS works. I bet you guys don't even know about Exposé and Spaces/Mission Control. The reason people bitch about Macs is because they don't bother learning how they work. akudood;

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Samus Aran

i'm not sure who you're talking to when you say "you guys" lol

i already have my desktop snapped to grid although i use slightly more spacing and slightly larger text and icons than you do

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Kaz on January 18, 2012, 04:27:42 PM
i'm not sure who you're talking to when you say "you guys" lol

i already have my desktop snapped to grid although i use slightly more spacing and slightly larger text and icons than you do
snorkel and burzumfan don't

out of the hundreds of macs i see everyday on campus, i've probably seen about 2 others that don't have a pile of files

one's my woman because she recently got a mac and i forced her to do it akudood;

[spoiler]That feel when you see a computer science professor with a pile of shit on their desktop and they lack the concep of quitting applications after you're done[/spoiler]

Also, I see this one girl that not only has a pile of files, but literally has half her dock filled with minimized windows. She doesn't use spaces or exposé and has a good 20 windows open at any given time. She's a CS major. myface;

god i hate people that can't learn the basics of an operating system

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

silvertone

I Like The Way It IS I Don't Need It Grided Thank You for the Information Though.

don't let's

Who even keeps icons on their desktops these days?

Samus Aran

Quote from: Dead End Moon on January 18, 2012, 04:36:42 PM

i sorta let things i'm working on at the time sit there for a while before i move them

so i usually have a few. but then later i'll clean them out.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Dead End Moon on January 18, 2012, 04:36:42 PM
It's nice for easy access to certain files/folders that I use frequently and want to keep in my mind.

e.g., I might keep a homework assignment that's due in a couple weeks on my desktop so that I won't forget about it.

I never exceed 10 items on my desktop.

Hippopo

snoorkel

um sir I use 8 spaces effectively and when I exposé there are about 60 windows, I wrote my own dsdt to run osx86 before anyone had used this particular i7. the reason I do not use small icons or grid lock on desktop is because I use it for dumping things, not organizing things - see the pile in the bottom-left of my desktop? it sits just below the edge of my browser window and is where I drag cool images. if I gridded everything there would be like 200 images, and they would flow into all the other shit on my desktop. the pile is perfectly navigable with quick look. YEs they end up in a folder every few weeks anyway when I clear my desktop but THERE IS A SSYTEM

I agree, though, most people don't understand how to use OS X, I lol whenever I even see people using minimize

LCK

i'm a slob and i don't care where anything is on my desktop

ncba93ivyase

if you have to use 8 spaces and have 60 windows in a space, then you're just disorganized and there's just no way you're seriously working with that much in a day goonish

snoorkel

Quote from: <sub>Pancake</sub> <sup>Persona</sup> on January 18, 2012, 07:45:08 PM
if you have to use 8 spaces and have 60 windows in a space, then you're just disorganized and there's just no way you're seriously working with that much in a day goonish

lol

1 - personal\browsing
2 - hosting\main (admin panels, host server terminals, to-do bookmarks in tabs)
3 - hosting\SEO (forums, blogs, social media, to-do bookmarks in tabs)
4 - design\photoshop (takes up a whole space because it pisses me off otherwise)
5 - design\coding (sftp, coda, browsers)
6 - personal\writing (massive grid of textedit drafts, running note compilations, and saved tabs for things I'm working on)
7 - personal\biz (spreadsheets, tax docs, and other shit I log daily)
8 - hosting\terminals (just a grid of ping monitors and iptraf sessions)
x - my second monitor displays stats/uptime from Nagios with a live chat support panel on top of it in all spaces

on average I'd say I use 6 frequently on any given day, depending on the day's work, and it's completely necessary to keep everything open else I would be closing and reopening 10 different things every hour. this is why I am scared to turn off my computer

i've considered expanding to 10 to add a personal\education space. befuddlement

PLEASEHELP1991

Quote from: silvertone on January 18, 2012, 04:36:32 PM
I Like The Way It IS I Don't Need It Grided Thank You for the Information Though.
I love [you]

Hiro

Quote from: vziard on January 18, 2012, 08:15:34 PM
lol

1 - personal\browsing
2 - hosting\main (admin panels, host server terminals, to-do bookmarks in tabs)
3 - hosting\SEO (forums, blogs, social media, to-do bookmarks in tabs)
4 - design\photoshop (takes up a whole space because it pisses me off otherwise)
5 - design\coding (sftp, coda, browsers)
6 - personal\writing (massive grid of textedit drafts, running note compilations, and saved tabs for things I'm working on)
7 - personal\biz (spreadsheets, tax docs, and other shit I log daily)
8 - hosting\terminals (just a grid of ping monitors and iptraf sessions)
x - my second monitor displays stats/uptime from Nagios with a live chat support panel on top of it in all spaces

on average I'd say I use 6 frequently on any given day, depending on the day's work, and it's completely necessary to keep everything open else I would be closing and reopening 10 different things every hour. this is why I am scared to turn off my computer

i've considered expanding to 10 to add a personal\education space. befuddlement
holy shit

bluaki

Doesn't Windows have the same problem of desktop icons being off a grid if not set to stick to one?

With my workspaces, I don't assign specific ones to certain tasks, but just fill them with whatever new things I open for a certain task at the time. Because switching workspaces is for me slightly more convenient than switching windows within a workspace, I often fill them with just one maximized application.

My most recent setup is:
1. Web browser (only one window)
2. chats (IRC and Pidgin)
3. two file manager windows and one terminal
4. Thunderbird
5. Google Chrome (for hangouts)

Though I have two monitors, I made my window manager treat them as each using a different one of the above workspaces, so I'm typically at 1 on left large screen and 2 on right. When I watch anime, I set left monitor to 3 and switch the right between 1 and 2.

Go Up