September 21, 2024, 08:39:40 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I need to find new things

Started by strongbad, January 16, 2012, 11:33:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

i need new hobbies
i've found myself clinging to things that i used to enjoy and i keep getting sad that i can't enjoy them as much as i used to (videogames)

everything else i try to get into isn't quite what i want to do

i've found myself spending just about all of my free-time with friends, which is cool and everything, but i really like having something tangible that i can get into myself. right now, i would honestly consider that to be super smash bros melee, and while i fucking love melee, i would really like to see something productive come out of my time

what do i do boyah

snoorkel

YPrrrr

Learn an instrument?
Go swimming (if you don't still)?
Journal?
`

strongbad

Quote from: vziard on January 16, 2012, 11:48:30 PM
read books

I've been doing this as of lately!
I'm currently finishing up Ender's Shadow and about a third of the way into Fear and Loathing. Give me more suggestions. I've missed out on so many sweet reads.

Quote from: NPR on January 16, 2012, 11:52:18 PM
Learn an instrument?
Go swimming (if you don't still)?
Journal?
`

Nahhh I an instrument isn't really something that interests me as of right now. I should swim more. Maybe I'll bring my speedo with me to school.

I wish I could keep a consistent journal. My current one gets updated every month or so. What I'm really trying to do now is keep a dream journal. When I can force myself to do it, it's pretty sweet. I need to smoke less though since I've noticed I have horrible dream recollection when I go to sleep stoned.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: MF Doom on January 16, 2012, 11:33:09 PM
i need new hobbies
i've found myself clinging to things that i used to enjoy and i keep getting sad that i can't enjoy them as much as i used to (videogames)

everything else i try to get into isn't quite what i want to do

i've found myself spending just about all of my free-time with friends, which is cool and everything, but i really like having something tangible that i can get into myself. right now, i would honestly consider that to be super smash bros melee, and while i fucking love melee, i would really like to see something productive come out of my time

what do i do boyah

Yeah, you know, I hit those walls every once in a while too.
I get into these weird phases where I try to force myself into these new hobbies or ideas and it just results in a fucking slew of unfinished projects that are probably way over my head (here's looking at you mountain dulcimer that still needs a revamped fretboard and something to cut uniform slots for the fret wire among everything else).

If you find something that excites you, grab onto it and jog for a while.

Quote from: MF Doom on January 17, 2012, 12:08:56 AM
I'm currently finishing up Ender's Shadow and about a third of the way into Fear and Loathing. Give me more suggestions. I've missed out on so many sweet reads.

Hunter's a funny guy with a lot of crazy stories. Check out rum diaries or the book about his run with politics.

I say anything vonnegut.

And I'm digging through this thanks to Snorkel alerting me to its existence a few months ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Exegesis-Philip-K-Dick/dp/0547549253/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326788271&sr=8-1

snoorkel

Quote from: MF Doom on January 17, 2012, 12:08:56 AM

Philip K Dick is always the first sci-fi author I recommend, his writing is on another level apart from most other 'fiction'. his VALIS trilogy will turn you inside-out and I recommend you read it immediately.  short stories can be a really fun way to get into different authors and genres, there is a JG Ballard short story collection featuring a lot of SF that I'd recommend, also a volume called 'the philip k. dick reader' that is pretty easy to get into

others to try are Asimov (classic scifi), Heinlein (political philosophy masked as scifi), Jeff Noon, and Thomas Disch (those two stand apart as well)

there is not much exactly like Hunter S but if you would enjoy the same kind of thing about contemporary politics, Matt Taibbi's earlier books are good (Spanking the Donkey especially), and if you want to see where gonzo came from, get into the beats (Burroughs, Kerouac mainly), Henry Miller, Thomas Pynchon

some really good recent authors that I think anyone could enjoy are Bret Easton Ellis (earlier books), Reinaldo Arenas (cuban), Victor Pelevin (russian). if I could recommend one author above any other for the sake of enjoying literary style, it would be Nabokov

best advice for books though is just try everything and don't commit to finishing anything, just go where your interest takes you, follow the sources and the influences from branch to branch to branch and you will have a nice tree for cross reference prety soon. also non fiction > fiction, in the end

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on January 17, 2012, 12:20:45 AM
And I'm digging through this thanks to Snorkel alerting me to its existence a few months ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Exegesis-Philip-K-Dick/dp/0547549253/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326788271&sr=8-1

my life has been revolving around that since I got it. I am excavating it like a sculpture, and there is still infinity to wonder about. by the time I'm through it I'll have an exegesis of my own written on crinkled postits. it's turned into this whole project with a shelf full of accompanying reference, though I'll say it has me digging into all kinds of philosophy I never really had much regard for... his ideas are shocking

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

You should read The Man Who Was Thursday:A Nightmare

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: vziard on January 17, 2012, 01:13:35 AM

my life has been revolving around that since I got it. I am excavating it like a sculpture, and there is still infinity to wonder about. by the time I'm through it I'll have an exegesis of my own written on crinkled postits. it's turned into this whole project with a shelf full of accompanying reference, though I'll say it has me digging into all kinds of philosophy I never really had much regard for... his ideas are shocking

Yeah, I've been taking things really slowly. A chunk at a time.
The ideas are so exciting and stimulating.
I'll read a passage and something will fall into place and the first thing I want to do is to find someone to talk about it.

Clara Listensprechen

If you're looking for a hobby that gives you something to show for your time, taking up a craft would be in order.  Could be whittling, carpentry, artwork or like that.

Gardening will definitely give you produce. Perishable produce, but produce all the same.
Hmph.

piano moths

read books, watch anime, color, watercolor, draw pictures, go walks, try to make music
kill them w kindness

silvertone

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: N o t S i d on January 17, 2012, 03:19:08 AM
You should read The Man Who Was Thursday:A Nightmare
this is a good book

learn to drag out your masturbation sessions to an hour

the ladies will love you whenever you get a chance with them

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Samus Aran

you should try drawing

also, it's kind of an expensive hobby, but driving is nice. just driving wherever, doesn't matter. with some good tunes.

Daddy

If you have spare money you should buy crappy cars and learn to fix them up yourself.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Khadafi on January 17, 2012, 03:50:13 PM
If you have spare money you should buy crappy cars and learn to fix them up yourself.

this is actually a really cool idea

Go Up