September 23, 2024, 11:23:51 AM

1,531,320 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I think I'm going to go into engineering

Started by strongbad, January 03, 2012, 07:51:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

silvertone

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

strongbad

man my newswriting class is pretty kickass so far, maybe i'll stick with journalism
hmmmmm

snoorkel

strongbad

snoorkel

Quote from: MF Doom on January 05, 2012, 09:36:37 PM
it would be so fun

just seems like one of those things that's overly indoctrinated to me idk

like you can write things that are journalistic and work for cool journalistic publications without learning ""journalism"" .. basically all arts college does is teach you how to be generic , fit into job market , etc so your "skills" are more easily appraisable commodities. this isn't my omg rebel view this is just how ""the job market"" works.

so I think the best path you could take, if you want to make your remaining years in college useful, would totally be to choose a science major where you can learn some specialized knowledge that takes too much work to learn elsewhere (how to build oil platforms and detonate underground bombs and do vector calculus and shit).

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: MF Doom on January 05, 2012, 09:36:37 PM
it would be so fun

What about Gonzo journalism?

Quote from: vziard on January 05, 2012, 10:05:04 PM

like you can write things that are journalistic and work for cool journalistic publications without learning ""journalism"" .. basically all arts college does is teach you how to be generic , fit into job market , etc so your "skills" are more easily appraisable commodities. this isn't my omg rebel view this is just how ""the job market"" works.

Yes, to a degree.
In that field, though, I think it's entirely dependent on what direction you want to go. Writing about last week's carnival on mainstreet for the local small town sheet is a hell of a lot different than writing an investigative piece on the effects of war fatigue on recent underground music trends for a major publication.

School's going to lay down the beat as to how the business works and is going to equip you to be able to put together a local news piece and might even get you connections with some local heads, but the real great work is going to come from your own established style and big ideas.

snoorkel

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on January 05, 2012, 11:15:09 PM
What about Gonzo journalism?

Yes, to a degree.
In that field, though, I think it's entirely dependent on what direction you want to go. Writing about last week's carnival on mainstreet for the local small town sheet is a hell of a lot different than writing an investigative piece on the effects of war fatigue on recent underground music trends for a major publication.

School's going to lay down the beat as to how the business works and is going to equip you to be able to put together a local news piece and might even get you connections with some local heads, but the real great work is going to come from your own established style and big ideas.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. To me, the kind of stubborn and immovable person who would always prefer to work from the outside in, it's just about how long it takes to figure out the rhythm of the beat before I'm bored and onto newer and better things. I also tend to assume that everyone would sacrifice a little security (guaranteed job) to gain dynamism (personal style) in their lives, though that may just be me.

Walter

Quote from: MF Doom on January 04, 2012, 06:38:58 AM
probably mechanical

If the following doesn't give you a hard-on you might want to reconsider.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I'm a junior mechanical engineering student btw, ask me any of your questions (except about this picture idk wtf this shit is tbh lol).

strongbad

Any thoughts what you want to do after you graduate?

Walter

Quote from: MF Doom on January 06, 2012, 02:38:03 PM
Any thoughts what you want to do after you graduate?

lol no not really. Mechanical engineering is a really broad field, probably the broadest major out there in all honesty. You can do anything from cars, to airplanes, to furniture, silverware, boxing for different products, manufacturing equipment, power plant design... fucking anything that's physical, really.

Its typically separated into 3 groups. Thermodynamics/fluids, materials engineering, and mechanical design. Thermo and fluids would be for power plants and anything related to fluids such as air conditioning systems or turbine blade design. Materials engineering is strictly the study of materials; what material should be used for this particular object. Some need to be able to withstand lots of force, temperature change, etc. They also create new materials with specific properties. Mechanical design is a lot of CAD work and involves the physical design of things. You would take into consideration the dynamic movement of parts, stresses and strains. The screenshots are from a dynamic systems and control book, which would probably be categorized as part of the designing processes.

I think I want to do computational fluid dymanics, which would be for doing computer simulation of fluids. Probably would end up doing air conditioning system simulations if I took that route to be honest. To ensure that all the areas get ventilated properly. Maybe turbine blades idk. If not that, then I would want to design manufacturing machinery.

snoorkel

Quote from: Walter on January 06, 2012, 03:28:13 PM
lol no not really. Mechanical engineering is a really broad field, probably the broadest major out there in all honesty. You can do anything from cars, to airplanes, to furniture, silverware, boxing for different products, manufacturing equipment, power plant design... fucking anything that's physical, really.

Its typically separated into 3 groups. Thermodynamics/fluids, materials engineering, and mechanical design. Thermo and fluids would be for power plants and anything related to fluids such as air conditioning systems or turbine blade design. Materials engineering is strictly the study of materials; what material should be used for this particular object. Some need to be able to withstand lots of force, temperature change, etc. They also create new materials with specific properties. Mechanical design is a lot of CAD work and involves the physical design of things. You would take into consideration the dynamic movement of parts, stresses and strains. The screenshots are from a dynamic systems and control book, which would probably be categorized as part of the designing processes.

I think I want to do computational fluid dymanics, which would be for doing computer simulation of fluids. Probably would end up doing air conditioning system simulations if I took that route to be honest. To ensure that all the areas get ventilated properly. Maybe turbine blades idk. If not that, then I would want to design manufacturing machinery.

HVAC mofo

Walter

Quote from: vziard on January 06, 2012, 03:35:57 PM
HVAC mofo

Yeah. If I wanted to do something related to fluid dynamics it would probably be that, or something related to airplanes like the turbine blades in the engine since they have to be designed according to the air intake. I still have like 5 semesters left so I haven't quite seen all there is to see, so I don't know which field I want to try to get into.

Honestly though, only do it if you like applied math... a lot.

snoorkel

Quote from: Walter on January 06, 2012, 03:43:51 PM
Yeah. If I wanted to do something related to fluid dynamics it would probably be that, or something related to airplanes like the turbine blades in the engine since they have to be designed according to the air intake. I still have like 5 semesters left so I haven't quite seen all there is to see, so I don't know which field I want to try to get into.

Honestly though, only do it if you like applied math... a lot.

if you become an HVAC Xpert I will hire you to design cooling systems for data centers (but only if they;re good)

see you make connections on boyah too

Hippopo

A lot of you are being overly unsupportive about this.

David, I just have one word of advice.  Study what motivates you.  If you like it, you'll make it work for you in your future.  Even if you have to take two more years of schooling, study Engineering if it's what you're passionate about.  Two years is nothing in the grand scheme of your life.

But make sure you actually enjoy it before you dive headfirst.  Research a bit.  Maybe take a few courses to see what its like.

Go Up