March 28, 2024, 05:01:42 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Started by bluaki, December 22, 2011, 05:18:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

I updated my phone (Nexus S) to it a few days ago and, as only two phones now support it, I don't think anybody else here has it yet girl;

So ask me whatever you want to know about it that you haven't already seen elsewhere. I can post screenshots too.

The worthwhile differences I've noticed so far:
  • The lock screen replaces the easy access to silent mode with camera and the (unsecured) unlock mechanism is now sliding a bubble to either icon for unlock or camera. Though I don't intend to use any of it, there seem to be more types of security options like password/pin/pattern than before. You can also add one customizable row of text below the clock intended to display owner info.

• The apps drawer is now, instead of one long vertically-scrolling list, split into horizontal pages. Widgets are now in this same place; flipping past all your apps pages shows pages for widgets that are displayed more graphically than before and with easily-visible dimensions. When dragging apps to he home screen, the home screen is now zoomed out a bit to show uninstall and app info buttons at the top and to make scrolling to other home pages while holding the app icon easier.

• On the home screen, the special area at the bottom of the screen that before could not be modified and shows things like phone/messages/browser now holds four app icons (default Phone, Contacts, Messages, and Browser) around the app tray button. As before, this region stays on screen and does not scroll with the home pages. App icon groups on the home screen now exist as well.

• For apps that were included by default and cannot be uninstalled, there is now a "disable" option in place of where you usually see uninstall. As my phone doesn't have all the preinstalled carrier junk most other phones do, my choices for this are limited to boring things like Calculator, Android Keyboard, Live Wallpapers, Browser, Calendar, Camera, Contacts, etc. Only a couple items in the Manage Apps screen, which logically should not ever be disabled if you want to keep a functional phone (such as Android System, Settings, and Phone) can not be disabled. I don't know what happens if you disable the keyboard then set a password on the lock screen, but I don't want to find out. Disabled apps are not visible on the app drawer, cannot be opened, and are otherwise not visible outside the Manage Apps screen (where they are conveniently moved to the bottom of the list outside the normal alphabetic placement).

• Although the Phone app still has a contacts tab like before, the new separate Contacts app has somewhat fancier contact management like groups and some sort of Google+ integration as well. A new default "Me" contact appears at the top of this page so you can easily see your own info and I assume this is used for that NFC "Beem" feature to easily give a friend your own contact info.

snoorkel

I want 4.0, I think I can if I root??

bluaki

Quote from: vziard on December 22, 2011, 07:31:47 PM
I want 4.0, I think I can if I root??
No, something weird about the firmwares lets you only install a version of the Android OS that is intended to be installed on your phone model.

Even though my T-Mobile Nexus S has Ice Cream Sandwich, I don't think the same OS package I installed can work with the Spring Nexus S 4G, which does not yet have 4.0.

snoorkel

Oh...  :(

I see that a few people have been able to get Ice Cream Sandwich working on Thunderbolts, but it seems like much work.

bluaki

Quote from: vziard on December 22, 2011, 09:20:57 PM
I see that a few people have been able to get Ice Cream Sandwich working on Thunderbolts, but it seems like much work.
I think there's also a notable chance of bricking

Daddy

Of course I'm stuck on samsung's piece of shit galaxy s 4g ;__;

they never update anything

Nate

They have an almost working copy of CM9/4.0 for the Photon/Electrify and I've gotta say that it's pretty sweet. It's runs a ton smoother than Gingerbread. Pretty excited for it to be finished.

Andria

I have a galaxy s phone, so I most likely won't get the update

ME##

Quote from: Khadafi on December 27, 2011, 08:48:51 AM
Of course I'm stuck on samsung's piece of shit galaxy s 4g ;__;

they never update anything

samsung pretty much admitted it was because of touch[my]wiz lol

but you know, it couldn't just release a vanilla version of ice cream sandwich

wawi

Quote from: Dovydas on January 08, 2012, 10:11:52 AM
but you know, it couldn't just release a vanilla version of ice cream sandwich

goodjob;
also why is it called ice cream sandwich?????????????

ME##

google has been going through the alphabet using sweet foods for major revisions of android since version 1.5, 'cupcake'

?????

Quote from: bluaki on December 22, 2011, 08:47:37 PM
No, something weird about the firmwares lets you only install a version of the Android OS that is intended to be installed on your phone model.

Even though my T-Mobile Nexus S has Ice Cream Sandwich, I don't think the same OS package I installed can work with the Spring Nexus S 4G, which does not yet have 4.0.

I think the something weird that you are talking about is hardware compatibility. Also, you don't have to wait for an official port from your phone's manufacturer; just wait until someone from XDA ports it to your foan
Die for Dethklok

Go Up