Turning 3.5in hdd into external hdd when I already have an enclosure...

Started by Thyme, December 06, 2011, 01:39:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

...but the enclosure doesn't have a USB output or any way to connect it to the computer aside from installing it in the tower. This is the enclosure in question, which I had to buy for school:

http://ca.startech.com/HDD/Mobile-Racks/Black-525in-SATA-Hard-Drive-Mobile-Rack-Drawer~DRW110SATBK

Is there anything I can do with this or do I have to buy another enclosure? My actual external hdd stopped working and I'd really like to not have to buy another one and just use the useless internal hdd I already have.

snoorkel

Can you use your old non-working external hdd's enclosure (if it had one)?

Otherwise, yeah, just look for a cheap 3.5" external enclosure, they shouldn't cost more than $15-20.

Thyme

snoorkel

Quote from: Thyme on December 06, 2011, 02:49:57 PM
no, it didn't, it was one of those:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/expansion/expansion_portable/

smithicide;

I can't tell, is that a 2.5" or 3.5" drive? If it's the right size you can break it open and replace the drive inside somehow, don't be timid, all you need is the little sata-to-usb adapter component on the one end

Thyme

Quote from: vziard on December 06, 2011, 03:01:32 PM
I can't tell, is that a 2.5" or 3.5" drive? If it's the right size you can break it open and replace the drive inside somehow, don't be timid, all you need is the little sata-to-usb adapter component on the one end

2.5'' lol

and either way, i think it's the enclosure that doesn't work anymore lol

but i guess i could always open it anyway, i'd end up with a (corrupted, i believe) 2.5'' drive, i'd just have to format it

snoorkel

Quote from: Thyme on December 06, 2011, 03:05:40 PM
2.5'' lol

and either way, i think it's the enclosure that doesn't work anymore lol

but i guess i could always open it anyway, i'd end up with a (corrupted, i believe) 2.5'' drive, i'd just have to format it

if the enclosure itself isn't broken, you could also just pull the adapter out of it and use it for your 3.5" drive... the only difference between 3.5" and 2.5" enclosures is the physical size of the case. so in other words, gut the 2.5" enclosure and just have your bare 3.5" disk sitting there with the adapter and a cable plugged into the back

applesauce

Quote from: vziard on December 06, 2011, 03:09:58 PM
so in other words, gut the 2.5" enclosure and just have your bare 3.5" disk sitting there with the adapter and a cable plugged into the back

this will work. what you need is the pcb that will take powered USB and bring it into sata and sata power. only problem is that the powered usb may not have enough amperage to run your drive. give it a go though.

?????

Die for Dethklok

Thyme

Quote from: ,,,-,,, on December 06, 2011, 08:45:17 PM
Or you could install external SATA ports on your computer.

lol

i want to use it as portable storage between home and school

?????

Quote from: Thyme on December 06, 2011, 09:00:14 PM
lol

i want to use it as portable storage between home and school

olol

btw how much storage does your HDD have?
Die for Dethklok

Go Up