April 20, 2024, 07:44:39 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Trackers misc.

Started by strongbad, November 26, 2011, 03:38:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I figured that it would be a good idea to have a thread that was primarily focused on discussion of various trackers, especially for posting about free-leech and open invites to private sites.

But yeah, in the spirit of the thread, http://panda.cd currently has open sign-ups. It's a sweet tracker dedicated to music released under the creative commons license, so it's all legal to download  hocuspocus;

snoorkel

Daddy

Is there really a demand for a private tracker that specializes in things released under the CC license?

It seems that there really isn't a need to keep out things like the RIAA or other organizations if they aren't breaking the laws and only need to filter torrents.

strongbad

Quote from: Khadafi on December 09, 2011, 06:59:13 PM
Is there really a demand for a private tracker that specializes in things released under the CC license?

It seems that there really isn't a need to keep out things like the RIAA or other organizations if they aren't breaking the laws and only need to filter torrents.

I find torrents pretty convenient in general. I use what.cd more for it's indexing system than downloading from it lol

bluaki

the only torrent trackers I use are demonoid and nyaatorrents

Demonoid always had the movies you guys need for movie night, nyaa has just about all anime, and I don't torrent music. The only music I get is videogame stuff which I only ever find as DDL.

snoorkel

Quote from: Khadafi on December 09, 2011, 06:59:13 PM

Agreed... isn't the point of trackers like What finding music that's generally unavailable for free elsewhere?

bluaki

December 11, 2011, 11:46:42 PM #6 Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:49:53 PM by bluaki
Quote from: vziard on December 11, 2011, 11:39:42 PM
Agreed... isn't the point of trackers like What finding music that's generally unavailable for free elsewhere?
Emphasis on being a private tracker

bittorrent is a pretty good way to download things in general and there's a reason it's popular even for some free content like Linux distro installation discs; with popular things it's faster to download and less tasking on any server than centralized distribution. The same things should apply to whatever free music exists.

Private trackers also help encourage greater amounts of seeding, which may be seen as a benefit

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on December 11, 2011, 11:46:42 PM
Emphasis on being a private tracker

bittorrent is a pretty good way to download things in general and there's a reason it's popular even for some free content like Linux distro installation discs; with popular things it's faster to download and less tasking on any server than centralized distribution. The same things should apply to whatever free music exists.

I was actually going to say that it's cool to see BitTorrent being used to support filesharing networks for new things that aren't software and copyrighted media, it's just more of a question of whether a CC-themed tracker has a valid purpose (its use of BT is fine)... just seems a little limited and pointless.

Daddy

Quote from: MF Doom on December 10, 2011, 12:05:59 AM
I find torrents pretty convenient in general. I use what.cd more for it's indexing system than downloading from it lol
yes i know that. the point snorkel and i were making is what is the point of a private or semi-private trackers for free content.

public trackers can handle that since they don't need to worry about riaa IP harvesters.

Go Up