March 28, 2024, 02:05:49 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Started by Snowy, November 21, 2011, 09:49:17 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

InbredPsychosis

Quote from: Chompskyan Grammar on November 29, 2011, 12:40:21 AM
I understand that you've gotten out of a relationship recently. Have you talked to someone you trust in real life about it?

I've talked to my parents about it a little bit, much to their dismay. I did tell my psychiatrist, but I'm afraid to tell him too much lest he have me locked up in the psyche ward.
TAKE UR MEDICINE

Socks

Quote from: applesauce on November 29, 2011, 03:39:06 AM
That's better than most people could do, myself probably included.

Yeah but what good is your life really, if everyone who looks at it just shakes their head and walk away? Life isn't about just living to your own tune, as much as I have come to painfully realize this, it is about joining the harmony and inspiring others to your song. This takes everything you have, from your mind to your soul, and it must be shared with the world, in some fashion or form, for you to thrive and truly realize your full potential. Disclaimer though, it is not easy, actually, hard as fuck. For everybody.

I have thought about suicide. But I have never had the guts. I was afraid of dying, and liked knowing and breathing way to much to give it up. However, in the end, I could never be such a coward and leave all of those whom I have come to know in such abrupt terms. It is a very selfish move. For they have to pick up the pieces and go on.

strongbad

Quote from: Socks on November 29, 2011, 12:22:43 PM
Yeah but what good is your life really, if everyone who looks at it just shakes their head and walk away? Life isn't about just living to your own tune, as much as I have come to painfully realize this, it is about joining the harmony and inspiring others to your song. This takes everything you have, from your mind to your soul, and it must be shared with the world, in some fashion or form, for you to thrive and truly realize your full potential. Disclaimer though, it is not easy, actually, hard as fuck. For everybody.

I disagree. I feel like you can have just as enjoyable of a life without socializing, you just need to be able to accept yourself. I've actually been spending a lot more time alone lately, not because I don't like my friends, it's just that I would rather invest my time in bettering myself than bettering arbitrary relationships.

Socks

Quote from: MF Doom on November 29, 2011, 05:32:31 PM
I disagree. I feel like you can have just as enjoyable of a life without socializing, you just need to be able to accept yourself. I've actually been spending a lot more time alone lately, not because I don't like my friends, it's just that I would rather invest my time in bettering myself than bettering arbitrary relationships.

You misunderstood I never implied socialization was the impetus for development. Essentially, the focal point of all your efforts in 'bettering yourself'--whether alone or not--is to better humanity. Otherwise your jolly life is insignificant no matter how fucking happy you think you are.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Socks on November 29, 2011, 05:36:45 PM
You misunderstood I never implied socialization was the impetus for development. Essentially, the focal point of all your efforts in 'bettering yourself'--whether alone or not--is to better humanity. Otherwise your jolly life is insignificant no matter how fucking happy you think you are.

But isn't that the case in 999 of 1000 cases? And how do we measure significance?
I think the best thing we can do is accept insignificance and just kind of go from there.
The greatest thing I can wake up to in the morning is the realization that I'm a just a speck. Doesn't that make everything else out there feel so much more attainable?
You can also kind of sidle away the majority of the bullshit too with relative ease.

Socks

I know I am insignificant but I still know I am insignificant. My life already means something to me, but I want it to mean something to you, too. Is this selfish?

snoorkel

Quote from: Socks on November 29, 2011, 06:15:57 PM
I know I am insignificant but I still know I am insignificant. My life already means something to me, but I want it to mean something to you, too. Is this selfish?

I think it's a little selfish that you want your life to mean something to someone else, not just your ideas without your name attached to them (but maybe that's not what you meant). From my perspective, I am everything that exists because I am inside myself, so ultimately I don't actually care about humanity's furthering, I just care about figuring things out for my own understanding--which, hopefully, will end up benefiting humanity anyway, but it's a secondary concern. Is that selfish?

Socks

I did not mean my life in detail but my life in implication, as expressed, presumably and hopefully, through the breath of others in their own time and place. I do care about the world, even if I were to consider myself perfect and perfectly at peace. I refuse to believe that you can live a meaningful life without sharing something. I am most happy and feel fulfilled when I can show to another a small piece of the truth that I have discovered. That, in my opinion, is more important than the discovery itself!

I think I need more snuff for this conversation though.

snoorkel

Quote from: Socks on November 29, 2011, 06:40:47 PM
I did not mean my life in detail but my life in implication, as expressed, presumably and hopefully, through the breath of others in their own time and place. I do care about the world, even if I were to consider myself perfect and perfectly at peace. I refuse to believe that you can live a meaningful life without sharing something. I am most happy and feel fulfilled when I can show to another a small piece of the truth that I have discovered. That, in my opinion, is more important than the discovery itself!

I think I need more snuff for this conversation though.

I think we agree, then.  happydood;

??????

Quote from: bluaki on November 29, 2011, 03:32:41 AM
Actually, it's arguably worse in that I simply don't deal with others like at all saddood;
do you secretly want to be little miss social butterfly, or just naturally like being quiet

the former's such a bitch to get through  giggle;

bluaki

Quote from: Clucky on November 29, 2011, 08:17:45 PM
do you secretly want to be little miss social butterfly, or just naturally like being quiet

the former's such a bitch to get through  giggle;
I don't want to be immensely social, but I at least want a few friends

I'm naturally quiet and I blame my psychological issues for elevating that to the point of being able to trust or otherwise effectively communicate with others giggle;

applesauce

Quote from: Socks on November 29, 2011, 05:36:45 PM

What? I mean, you're welcome to feel that way about your life (and anyone else's really) but if I decide that seeing beautiful things and experiencing as many of the world's honest, raw, life as possible is what gives my life meaning and lets me feel accomplishment and closure in life-- who are you to say otherwise? Do I need to sit around bars or schools or somewhere and share my experiences? Do I need to write a book? Why can't it be enough for me to just see it all and feel it all and think it all?

But I suppose you are talking of significance, and I don't truly know what significance is.

??????

Quote from: bluaki on November 29, 2011, 09:06:29 PM
I don't want to be immensely social, but I at least want a few friends

I'm naturally quiet and I blame my psychological issues for elevating that to the point of being able to trust or otherwise effectively communicate with others giggle;
what are you doing to help overcome mistrust!!!
it's better to overcome these things when you're young, because your values and perception become more crystallized once you age

Socks

Quote from: applesauce on November 30, 2011, 04:21:02 AM
What? I mean, you're welcome to feel that way about your life (and anyone else's really) but if I decide that seeing beautiful things and experiencing as many of the world's honest, raw, life as possible is what gives my life meaning and lets me feel accomplishment and closure in life-- who are you to say otherwise? Do I need to sit around bars or schools or somewhere and share my experiences? Do I need to write a book? Why can't it be enough for me to just see it all and feel it all and think it all?

But I suppose you are talking of significance, and I don't truly know what significance is.

I'm not saying it's not enough or that it is a bad thing or that you can't enjoy your life. No. I just think, personally, that it is not the highest level of achievement. I am sure there have been plenty of people who lived and died that way--happy. But who are they? And that's the question that bothers me. Neither extreme is 'right', in my opinion, whether that means living inside of yourself or living vicariously, there has to be a balance. 

Socks

I have a read a lot of visionaries declare that all youthful thought, while fruitful, is not a fully mature view. I can understand that completely now, as even a year ago I was so enamored by the philosophy that it was easy to modify the everyday realities.

Go Up