September 28, 2024, 08:26:53 AM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Have you ever been to church?

Started by Andria, November 15, 2011, 08:57:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

PLEASEHELP1991

Quote from: Sakamoto on November 15, 2011, 10:21:39 PM
i regularly attended the church of latter-day saints until i was around 13 years old awdood;
I dated a gay Mormon once. Then, I found out he had a wife. Never again.
I love [you]

Andria

Quote from: Hippopo on November 15, 2011, 09:36:07 PM
It has a lot to do with community.

And security.

And a promise of happiness.

Overall, it can just feel good to believe.

Yeah, I mean you can definitely see the community aspect extremely easily. Everyone knows one another (at least at this place) and they are all united under the belief in the bible. It's something I never really experienced as neither of my parents are that religious. My mother is atheist and my father claims belief in a god but he doesn't actually go to church and never really has. My grandmother tried imbibing me with belief in the bible but it never really worked out due to the lack of influence from my parents.

It's a really interesting thing to observe being from my background, as opposed to the background of most people there including many children.

Hiro

I used to go to church once or twice a month as a child and did vacation bible school over the summer which was pretty fun actually
Then probably around age 11 or so I stopped going much
then by 13 I only went when my dad took us which was like once every couple months, probably like 8 times a year or something
by high school I went maybe 5 times a year tops with my dad
Haven't been to an actual church service since I was probably 17, although possibly 18

I find it quite interesting though, everyone dressing nicely to attend sort of a community meeting thing, a few people making it hard to keep in laughter with their piousness, etc.
I started to enjoy listening to the sermons towards the end of it though, because even though I hadn't believed in any of it since I was 13-ish, I always liked to try to understand what he was saying, and in my head I would find the parts I agreed with for the most part and pick apart all the other strange things he would say.

Samus Aran

I've been several times. Can't say much about it other than that I went. Several times.

silvertone

PLEASEHELP1991

also i never specified i was a christian (never was) hence the usage of the term non-believer
I love [you]

Go Up