September 28, 2024, 12:22:06 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Have you ever been to church?

Started by Andria, November 15, 2011, 08:57:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

don't let's

Quote from: Socks on November 15, 2011, 09:47:57 PM
No but I can imagine.

I have never really taken issue with the notion that one may need a supportive community of like-minded folks in order to overcome some personal difficulty or challenge etc...  However, I take issue with the belief that prayer and worship will form a 'personal relationship with God' that is going to cure ills and bring you happiness. That's so infantile and naive I can't even comprehend what is good about the premise? Aren't I a much tougher, more noble being if I live life righteously alone, and on my own two feet and hands?
Well Christianity is supposed to be about being humble and helping out other people, especially those that are less fortunate than you are and those that are unable to care for themselves. And treating others with kindness instead of hatred and deceit. Granted not everybody does this (maybe not even the majority in the US) but that's the way it's supposed to be. And certainly not everybody teaches any of this either.

And you're not guaranteed to live happily or without any misfortunes or ills either. It's not promised every thing is going to be all hunky dory all the time. The Bible even says that you will encounter misfortunes and hardships and partly because of your beliefs. And it's not that evident in the US (persecution because of a belief in Christianity) but other countries do have it way worse. And course that can be true for a number of things not just this.

don't let's

Quote from: Hippopo on November 15, 2011, 09:56:42 PM
Yes, yes, you speak the truth.  Action is more important than prayer.

I want to say I don't understand it as well, but then I remember that I used to do this.  It's really kind of unsettling how easy it is to be manipulated into believing these things.
Actually it does say this in the Bible too. Not that Actions are more important than prayer, but that faith without deeds is dead. It basically says "What good is your faith if you don't do anything to show it or back it up" as such some of the points in my previous post.

Quote from: James 2:14-1714. What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15. Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,†but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17. In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

snoorkel

Quote from: Space Left Intentionally Blank on November 15, 2011, 10:05:02 PM
Well Christianity is supposed to be about being humble and helping out other people, especially those that are less fortunate than you are and those that are unable to care for themselves. And treating others with kindness instead of hatred and deceit. Granted not everybody does this (maybe not even the majority in the US) but that's the way it's supposed to be. And certainly not everybody teaches any of this either.

And you're not guaranteed to live happily or without any misfortunes or ills either. It's not promised every thing is going to be all hunky dory all the time. The Bible even says that you will encounter misfortunes and hardships and partly because of your beliefs. And it's not that evident in the US (persecution because of a belief in Christianity) but other countries do have it way worse. And course that can be true for a number of things not just this.

Quote from: Hippopo on November 15, 2011, 09:56:42 PM
It's really kind of unsettling how easy it is to be manipulated into believing these things.

Socks

Quote from: Hippopo on November 15, 2011, 10:04:13 PM
But to be fair, I was religious going into philosophy.

Now that tattoo on your lip and other things can finally make sense.

Quote from: Space Left Intentionally Blank on November 15, 2011, 10:05:02 PM

This is called being a decent human being, which everyone should strive to be. It has nothing to do with Christianity or any religion and is much older and in fact quite natural as far as I am concerned, because order calls for balance in the world. Now I can see how and why this was realized and weaved into a morality tale of fantasy, but the words stem from character, not the other way around.

Quote from: Hippopo on November 15, 2011, 10:04:13 PM

What's the meaning of this?

Hippopo

Quote from: Socks on November 15, 2011, 10:13:51 PM
Thug life forever, bro.  baddood;

don't let's

November 15, 2011, 10:19:25 PM #50 Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:25:23 PM by Space Left Intentionally Blank
Quote from: vziard on November 15, 2011, 10:13:19 PM

Ah, a mocker, that's indecent.

This is called being a decent human being, which everyone should strive to be. It has nothing to do with Christianity or any religion and is much older and in fact quite natural as far as I am concerned, because order calls for balance in the world. Now I can see how and why this was realized and weaved into a morality tale of fantasy, but the words stem from character, not the other way around.

And that's what Christianity does teach. How to be a decent human being. Though again, not everybody actually follows this. And yes you can be a decent human being without being a Christian and you don't need Christianity to be a decent human being. But what's wrong with Christianity also showing these things?

What's the meaning of this?

Because you said this,

QuoteHowever, I take issue with the belief that prayer and worship will form a 'personal relationship with God' that is going to cure ills and bring you happiness.

Nyerp

i regularly attended the church of latter-day saints until i was around 13 years old awdood;

Socks

Quote from: Space Left Intentionally Blank on November 15, 2011, 10:19:25 PM
And that's Christianity does teach. How to be a decent human being, though again, not everybody actually follows this. And yes you can be a decent human being without being a Christian and you don't need Christianity to be a decent human being. HBut what's wrong with Christianity also showing these things?

One thread may appear white, in your eye at least, but the rest of the fabric is stained red. So even if I allow that premise, it is still unnecessary, and I do not need another reason for objection. But you are also glossing over how polarizing, exclusive and contradicting your scripture is, not to mention the history of its manifestation as an entity and religion. Do you understand the difference between a belief and an organization?

Because you said this,

And notice how much conviction I had.

snoorkel

Quote from: Sakamoto on November 15, 2011, 10:21:39 PM
i regularly attended the church of latter-day saints until i was around 13 years old awdood;

lmqo

Nyerp

YPrrrr

Yes, just about every sunday until I was 18

don't let's

November 15, 2011, 10:39:49 PM #56 Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:43:49 PM by Space Left Intentionally Blank
Quote from: Socks on November 15, 2011, 10:31:01 PM
One thread may appear white, in your eye at least, but the rest of the fabric is stained red. So even if I allow that premise, it is still unnecessary, and I do not need another reason for objection. But you are also glossing over how polarizing, exclusive and contradicting your scripture is, not to mention the history of its manifestation as an entity and religion. Do you understand the difference between a belief and an organization?

And notice how much conviction I had.
Do you understand that I was saying what Christianity is supposed to be about? I even said pretty much those exact words in my first response to one of your posts in this thread. Add to this that you yourself were talking about some its beliefs.

Also, all of humanity is stained red, not just the religious parts or people of it. And I am fully aware of some of the atrocities committed under the banner of the Christian religion.

And do you have some sort of a problem that Christianity has these teachings that I mentioned in it? Are you opposed to it having them in it? Because you seem to try to denounce it or try to find some way to invalidate them whenever I bring those things up.

snoorkel

Quote from: Space Left Intentionally Blank on November 15, 2011, 10:19:25 PM
Ah, a mocker, that's indecent.
And that's what Christianity does teach. How to be a decent human being. Though again, not everybody actually follows this. And yes you can be a decent human being without being a Christian and you don't need Christianity to be a decent human being. But what's wrong with Christianity also showing these things?

too fucking boring, get rid of it

YPrrrr

Jeez, just let the poor guy be. Whatever makes you a better person isn't exactly condemnable

snoorkel

Quote from: NPR on November 15, 2011, 10:43:45 PM
Jeez, just let the poor guy be. Whatever makes you a better person isn't exactly condemnable

anything unnecessary is useless, this is the outline of my harshly mechanistic worldview

Go Up