September 28, 2024, 02:29:28 AM

1,531,323 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

guys

Started by Samus Aran, November 15, 2011, 12:06:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

i really need to just go for it

just fucking go for it

just fucking write something and send it in

somewhere

anywhere

so why is it so hard

applesauce

YPrrrr

I've considered sending some things to the Onion before but I could never work up the gaul. Or the work ethic

Nyerp

i've never written a single word in my entire life don't ask me

Thyme

Don't you know any literary magazines you could write and send short stories to? Maybe you should look into that.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thyme on November 15, 2011, 12:12:16 PM
Don't you know any literary magazines you could write and send short stories to? Maybe you should look into that.

Not off the top of my head but I know how I can easily find a list of them, as "Poets and Writers" magazine has a sort of "classifieds" list for that sort of thing in the back of every issue. So not knowing where to send things to is not really the problem.

girl;

applesauce

Quote from: Kaz on November 15, 2011, 12:14:23 PM
Not off the top of my head but I know how I can easily find a list of them, as "Poets and Writers" magazine has a sort of "classifieds" list for that sort of thing in the back of every issue. So not knowing where to send things to is not really the problem.

girl;

Have you ever read anything by Anne Dillard? I know Dan is about to come in here and rail on her, but I thought her books were generally very inspiring when it came to writing nonfiction.

Thyme

Quote from: Kaz on November 15, 2011, 12:14:23 PM

girl;

well you better find a solution to that other problem, w/e it is baddood;

piano moths

you should just go for it. w
kill them w kindness

LCK

Quote from: applesauce on November 15, 2011, 12:16:18 PM
Have you ever read anything by Anne Dillard? I know Dan is about to come in here and rail on her, but I thought her books were generally very inspiring when it came to writing nonfiction.
wait

is snorkel's name dan

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Thyme on November 15, 2011, 12:12:16 PM
This.

Many writers got their start like this. Edgar Allen Poe springs to mind, but there are definitely many others. If you're going to have a career in the arts, then you're going to have to be dedicated and get out of your comfort zone. Networking is a huge part of that, which is hard for me to admit because I hate people. Yet to be successful, you'll have to bite the bullet and be more proactive. Also, you should just send drafts to publishers or something. Kind of like how some bands will send demo tapes to record labels. Sometimes they get signed, sometimes they don't. If you can get a small publisher on your side, then it would be easier to slingshot your way to a larger publisher.

applesauce

LCK

piano moths

I was trying to think of what Snorkel's name is a few days ago and I just kept thinking "Andrew" because it's my brothers name and Snorkel makes me think of my brother (even though i don't think they're that similar, they're just blonde curly handsomes & weed)
kill them w kindness

applesauce

Quote from: eeeeeee on November 15, 2011, 12:20:57 PM
I just kept thinking "Andrew"

That's my name. But don't call me that.

Go Up