April 24, 2024, 08:34:08 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Would you ever have kids?

Started by snoorkel, October 24, 2011, 07:15:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Thoughts

Definitely at some point
8 (33.3%)
Maybe
8 (33.3%)
Adopt / foster sure
2 (8.3%)
No, none, never
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Go Down

YPrrrr

Quote from: hobbit on October 26, 2011, 05:56:26 PM
but what if my children have more children???? it only takes two people to make ten of them. plus, a single human uses up a lot of resources. think of how much stuff you eat/drink in a day. resources will only get scarcer so i say solve the problem now voluntarily instead of waiting for the point in which population control becomes mandate.

Well that's their decision... What if my children become serial killers? I'm not going to worry too much about their decisions, they're their own people.

Food and water are probably amongst the least of our problems as far as resources initially since for the most part they're able to be recycled. If you're mandating population control upon yourself and advise it for other people, then what is the difference for you if it is codified or not?

snoorkel

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 26, 2011, 07:01:16 PM
Well that's their decision... What if my children become serial killers? I'm not going to worry too much about their decisions, they're their own people.

Food and water are probably amongst the least of our problems as far as resources initially since for the most part they're able to be recycled. If you're mandating population control upon yourself and advise it for other people, then what is the difference for you if it is codified or not?

but you can choose to NOT BRING THEM INTO EXISTENCE and avoid the whole problem of whether it's your responsibility or not to deal with their decisions, which it is anyway -- of all things to care about, how could you not care about how your own children will be shaping the world for other people? It's a basic consideration of solidarity, the main fuckin Catholic Social Teaching

and actually supplies of healthy food and fresh water are in critical condition for much of the world, not helped at all by populations growing fastest in those areas, what are you talking about psyduck;

YPrrrr

Quote from: vziard on October 26, 2011, 07:16:53 PM
but you can choose to NOT BRING THEM INTO EXISTENCE and avoid the whole problem of whether it's your responsibility or not to deal with their decisions, which it is anyway -- of all things to care about, how could you not care about how your own children will be shaping the world for other people? It's a basic consideration of solidarity, the main fuckin Catholic Social Teaching

and actually supplies of healthy food and fresh water are in critical condition for much of the world, not helped at all by populations growing fastest in those areas, what are you talking about psyduck;
It's not a problem. It's not my responsibility to dictate to my kids how many they can or cannot have? Also I don't know if you've noticed, but Catholics have really high birth rates, I don't think large families are something that conflicts with that consideration of solidarity.

I thought we were talking about on a global level. Food and water are disproportionately located, yes, but they're available. We really produce enough food to feed everyone. We have the technology for everyone to have water. It just doesn't happen due to economic logistics and political factors. If the world was more humanitarian it wouldn't be so much an issue

snoorkel

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 26, 2011, 07:22:21 PM
It's not a problem. It's not my responsibility to dictate to my kids how many they can or cannot have? Also I don't know if you've noticed, but Catholics have really high birth rates, I don't think large families are something that conflicts with that consideration of solidarity.

I thought we were talking about on a global level. Food and water are disproportionately located, yes, but they're available. We really produce enough food to feed everyone. We have the technology for everyone to have water. It just doesn't happen due to economic logistics and political factors. If the world was more humanitarian it wouldn't be so much an issue

not saying it's your responsibility to impress specific values upon your children one way or another, just that whatever they do is ultimately your responsibility. because it was your decision to create them as people.

if you've noticed, catholics are in practice typically very secular and ignorant of the needs of the world (ironic given the original idea of catholicity). they're all for the idea of charity on a small scale to empower themselves with the love of christ or whatever but when it comes to applying individual lives to big-picture ends, using ideas (or 'faith') instead specific 'works' as tools, it's all about the individual's place and taking care of themselves (in general, certainly not for all catholics or christians). if this wasn't so, more catholics would adopt kids than have 5 children. 'solidarity' SHOULD, and I'm sure originally did, imply the highest kind of solidarity, not just some insignificant sense of helping others when given the opportunity... I think this applies to everyone, not singling out catholics as evil (though they are)

I agree with what you said about the allocation of resources, that's exactly the problem. But a much easier short-term solution than reforming all of the world's governments to support more humanitarian ends/building economies to support new development of resources, which would take many generations, would be to make birth control and access to education available to as many people as possible... which could have significant effects in only a couple generations. however you cut it, it makes no sense to let the world's population continue growing at the rate it is.

YPrrrr

Quote from: vziard on October 26, 2011, 07:54:40 PM
not saying it's your responsibility to impress specific values upon your children one way or another, just that whatever they do is ultimately your responsibility. because it was your decision to create them as people.

if you've noticed, catholics are in practice typically very secular and ignorant of the needs of the world (ironic given the original idea of catholicity). they're all for the idea of charity on a small scale to empower themselves with the love of christ or whatever but when it comes to applying individual lives to big-picture ends, using ideas (or 'faith') instead specific 'works' as tools, it's all about the individual's place and taking care of themselves (in general, certainly not for all catholics or christians). if this wasn't so, more catholics would adopt kids than have 5 children. 'solidarity' SHOULD, and I'm sure originally did, imply the highest kind of solidarity, not just some insignificant sense of helping others when given the opportunity... I think this applies to everyone, not singling out catholics as evil (though they are)

I agree with what you said about the allocation of resources, that's exactly the problem. But a much easier short-term solution than reforming all of the world's governments to support more humanitarian ends/building economies to support new development of resources, which would take many generations, would be to make birth control and access to education available to as many people as possible... which could have significant effects in only a couple generations. however you cut it, it makes no sense to let the world's population continue growing at the rate it is.

I suppose that's true, but I'm not going to hold a grudge against Alois and Klara Hitler. It's pretty indirect.

Sure... mostly true. I don't know if it's that Catholics want that many kids but more likely the lack of birth control allowed girl;
[spoiler]boogah boogah

Yeah, I don't get the birth control thing either, you'd think it would at least be better than abortion considering ejaculation happens involuntarily in sleep sometimes.[/spoiler]

Can't really argue with any of this here...

I don't tend to think of creating a kid in a calculating sense however, more of a romantic one. I'll make it up to the world by dying young

PLEASEHELP1991

I don't think I could ever have kids because I'm afraid of the idiocy I may spawn from my Feltiness.
(and the possible unfavourable genetic conditions said idiocy may exhibit)
I love [you]

vulpix

Quote from: Socks on October 26, 2011, 06:20:25 PM
women hold the single greatest privilege in life and in this world. all the rest is second to this.

ghouldood;

Quote from: vziard on October 26, 2011, 06:55:03 PM
wow chauvinist

Socks

I do not accept that there is anything wrong with my belief. I stnd with pride on my statement and intent.

YPrrrr

Quote from: vulpix on October 26, 2011, 06:15:26 PM

yeah if any of you were girls you'd think differently.  a woman's body is forever changed in a bad way  >.<
I know plenty of girls that really want kids befuddlement

snoorkel

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 28, 2011, 10:38:40 AM
I know plenty of girls that really want kids befuddlement

aaand they probably think pregnancy is cute and beautiful and don't realize they will feel fucking terrible for 9 months and permanently damage their bodies, including their sweet little cunts which may or may not have to be surgically lengthened to fit the baby out, but which will certainly never be the same either way

who wants a saggy, man or woman??? who???

silvertone

christians  and Amriercan folk

vulpix

Quote from: vziard on October 28, 2011, 04:41:46 PM
aaand they probably think pregnancy is cute and beautiful and don't realize they will feel fucking terrible for 9 months and permanently damage their bodies

MOST women--I say this because I am a women and have physically been there when other women talk about kids--do not realize the extent of how being pregnant completely stretches you out, changes the shape of your body, widens your hips, makes your pussy loose etc for the rest of your life.  they seem to think you get a little bump and its cute and then you have a baby and things go back to the way they were.

Quote from: vziard on October 28, 2011, 04:41:46 PMincluding their sweet little cunts which may or may not have to be surgically lengthened to fit the baby out, but which will certainly never be the same either way

ah yes and many women have to have an episiotomy, which means they take a scalpel inside your pussy and literally slice into the walls to make room for the kid to come out. (but most women don't think about shit like this)

Quote from: Socks on October 28, 2011, 08:19:10 AM
I do not accept that there is anything wrong with my belief.

holding pregnancy up as some sort of "miracle" and the "greatest gift" is the whole fucking problem.  guess what, retarded people get pregnant, wild boars & sheep & giraffes & elephants get pregnant, evil people get pregnant, pregnancies happen accidentally, women get pregnant from rape. it's a fucking biological things that happens, don't degrade my worth by telling me getting pregnant is the most worthy thing I could ever do in my life.

silvertone

Quote from: vulpix on October 28, 2011, 05:34:05 PM it's a fucking biological things that happens, don't degrade my worth by telling me getting pregnant is the most worthy thing I could ever do in my life.

silvertone

im not a girl but that was a Good Thing to say  [imo\]

snoorkel

Go Up