April 24, 2024, 09:34:30 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

record players

Started by Samus Aran, October 16, 2011, 01:41:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Anyone have any particular suggestions for some sort of modern record player? Whether it be a combination vinyl/cd, whatever. Would prefer it to be somewhat small if possible, don't really have the room for a giant stereo with huge speakers. I just need something decent enough that will play my vinyls, and I thought I might see what some Boyagers suggest.

FAMY2

I just have a component record player I plug into my stereo receiver with small speakers.

snoorkel

I have a technics SL-1200 mkII which is pretty much the sturdiest and most versatile vinyl player you can get, but they cost upwards of $300.

Something like this (Pioneer) is much cheaper but definitely fine for general listening and probably pretty reliable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-PL-990-2-Speed-Automatic-Turntable-/270805390347#ht_524wt_907

Sony and Pioneer both make mid-range ($100-200) turntables that can record vinyls directly to USB and have some other cool digital features.

just make sure your cartridge/needle is good, it makes a difference.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

My ex received a Technics record player some years ago from a friend of hers off of ebay, I think it was about 50$, and it's pretty similar to what Snorkel posted (although it's a different brand, of course)

snoorkel

Quote from: N o t S i d on October 17, 2011, 02:56:34 AM
My ex received a Technics record player some years ago from a friend of hers off of ebay, I think it was about 50$, and it's pretty similar to what Snorkel posted (although it's a different brand, of course)

Was it like one of these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHNICS-SL-B20-Vintage-Turntable-cartridge-and-tweaks-/160653545597?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2567b2907d#ht_868wt_1398

Technics' lesser belt driven makes are pretty nice, idk why I didn't think to mention those, you can find lots of them on eBay under $100.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: vziard on October 17, 2011, 03:09:55 AM
Was it like one of these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHNICS-SL-B20-Vintage-Turntable-cartridge-and-tweaks-/160653545597?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2567b2907d#ht_868wt_1398

Technics' lesser belt driven makes are pretty nice, idk why I didn't think to mention those, you can find lots of them on eBay under $100.
Yeah, a bit newer, but that's pretty much it.

my parents used to have a technics stereo system, and they swore up and down it was the best sounding system they've ever experienced.

snoorkel

Quote from: N o t S i d on October 17, 2011, 03:55:47 AM
Yeah, a bit newer, but that's pretty much it.

my parents used to have a technics stereo system, and they swore up and down it was the best sounding system they've ever experienced.

their stereo components are mid-range at best, I've never had technics speakers that actually sound great (they're good quality and look real nice for the price though), but no complaints about their record players.

I take it they sold a lot of full stereo setups on suburban believers in the 80s and 90s girl;

Cookie

I have a technics quartz sl-qd33 that I've had for 2 years. It works great and I got it for $50 at a record store in town, came with a new needle.

Samus Aran

is there any advantage to belt-driven? what's the opposite of that, anyway? i think my old giant stereo that i had to get rid of didn't play records quite at the right speed (slightly too slow) because its belt needed adjustment somehow but i had no idea how to go about that so i never touched it.

also, i'm a bit confused about these turntables - do they typically have some sort of small built-in speaker that i'm not seeing? not that i wouldn't buy decent speakers to use with one, of course.

do you think it's a good idea to look for ones with usb capabilities? it's not like my macbook's speakers are something to be proud of or anything so i'm not really sure there's much of a point...unless they're some other good reason to use usb.

when you type "turntable" into amazon, here are two of the first results that are pretty cheap...what do you think about these?

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318956608&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX250H-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00005T3XH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318956608&sr=8-2

Cookie

Quoteis there any advantage to belt-driven?

I don't have an answer for this.

Quotedo they typically have some sort of small built-in speaker

No, they don't, most record players (Although some have receivers/preamp built in) you have to have a receiver that has a phono input, and then you would plug your speakers into the receiver.

Quotedo you think it's a good idea to look for ones with usb capabilities

I have had friends who have bought those cheap usb ones, and they said they sucked and sound terrible, but I'm sure they were buying the cheapest ones they could find, so some of the higher end ones are most likely fine.

Hiro

I got one of those cheap crosley usb ones with built-in speakers for christmas last year. the quality's not amazing or anything, but it sounds decent enough and works/looks pretty good. My uncle just gave me his ~$700 tube amp and some awesome old speakers my step-dad's grandpa built or something and my uncle just recently redid all the innards so they work nice and new. I have yet to set that all up though, because I'm sort of scared of breaking the tube amp. Something about it needing a ground source.

snoorkel

Quote from: Reisen on October 18, 2011, 09:51:37 AM
is there any advantage to belt-driven? what's the opposite of that, anyway? i think my old giant stereo that i had to get rid of didn't play records quite at the right speed (slightly too slow) because its belt needed adjustment somehow but i had no idea how to go about that so i never touched it.

also, i'm a bit confused about these turntables - do they typically have some sort of small built-in speaker that i'm not seeing? not that i wouldn't buy decent speakers to use with one, of course.

do you think it's a good idea to look for ones with usb capabilities? it's not like my macbook's speakers are something to be proud of or anything so i'm not really sure there's much of a point...unless they're some other good reason to use usb.

when you type "turntable" into amazon, here are two of the first results that are pretty cheap...what do you think about these?

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318956608&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX250H-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00005T3XH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318956608&sr=8-2

Between those I'd get the Sony, it looks nice. As cookie crisp said rarely will turntables have built-in speakers, you'll need a receiver and speakers plugged into that (or else powered speakers like computers speakers will be fine and that's all you need, just might need an adapter to plug into the turntable's output).

Belt-drive means the plate is connected directly to the motor/belt and turns one way at one speed (you can set it to 45 or 33 obviously), the opposite would be direct drive, which has the plate kind of disconnected and can be slowed down / reversed / made to go any which way any speed you want. it's what you see DJs using.

USB isn't really necessary unless you want to transfer vinyls to digital files, that's about all it's good for.

Samus Aran

lol receivers are expensive

this is going to cost more than i thought awdood;

Hiro

Quote from: vziard on October 18, 2011, 04:01:22 PM
Between those I'd get the Sony, it looks nice. As cookie crisp said rarely will turntables have built-in speakers, you'll need a receiver and speakers plugged into that (or else powered speakers like computers speakers will be fine and that's all you need, just might need an adapter to plug into the turntable's output).

Belt-drive means the plate is connected directly to the motor/belt and turns one way at one speed (you can set it to 45 or 33 obviously), the opposite would be direct drive, which has the plate kind of disconnected and can be slowed down / reversed / made to go any which way any speed you want. it's what you see DJs using.

USB isn't really necessary unless you want to transfer vinyls to digital files, that's about all it's good for.

I was under the impression that belt-drive and direct were the reverse, meaning the direct drive has the motor directly connected to the plate, and belt has the motor pulling a belt which in turn spins the plate. Doesn't that make more sense?

snoorkel

Quote from: Reisen on October 18, 2011, 04:37:04 PM
lol receivers are expensive

this is going to cost more than i thought awdood;

you can find one under $20 on craigslist easily, all you need is 50W or so.

Quote from: Hiro on October 18, 2011, 05:28:59 PM
I was under the impression that belt-drive and direct were the reverse, meaning the direct drive has the motor directly connected to the plate, and belt has the motor pulling a belt which in turn spins the plate. Doesn't that make more sense?

yes that's technically correct, I guess what I was trying to say is that the plate/belt/motor on a belt-driven is completely fixed, and the plate on a direct drive isn't even really 'connected' -- it's just set on top, which allows the movement in any direction/any speed.

Go Up