May 05, 2024, 06:52:33 AM

1,531,620 Posts in 46,727 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

i would just like to announce

Started by Samus Aran, October 18, 2011, 02:04:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

that this is possibly my favorite book ever and i've read it over and over and everyone else should read it too

plus it helps that the edition i have is very small, the perfect book to just carry around wherever. and i love the simple white body, green spine look. it's such a nifty little book to carry around and i dunno i just think it's by far more interesting than salinger's more famous catcher in the rye and idk everyone should just read it.

Thyme

silvertone

Quote from: Thyme on October 18, 2011, 02:06:17 PM
what is it about
franz kafka and zooey deschanel going on adventures together.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thyme on October 18, 2011, 02:06:17 PM
what is it about

"Franny" is a short story about Franny Glass, youngest of the Glass family (a frequent set of characters in Salinger's writing), and is basically about her dissatisfaction with the people around her and the collegiate environment, as well as her attempt to cast aside society in favor of spirituality through an impossible "Jesus prayer." It's basically just a character analysis on Franny and a bunch of ranting from her, but it's superbly written.

"Zooey" is the larger part of the novella, and is mostly a bunch of dialogue back and forth between Zooey Glass and his mother, or between Zooey and Franny. Much of the point is Zooey attempting to both persuade Franny to come to terms with humanity.

It's a lot of talking, one of those cases where it doesn't seem like much is going on, and yet so much really is - in terms of learning what has made these two siblings who they are, why they're unhappy, and how they come to terms with that.

It's tough to make it sound interesting because it's really such a small, contained story lol.

snoorkel

I have a box set of Salinger paperbacks but I've never read that one, I probably should. 

Samus Aran

Quote from: vziard on October 18, 2011, 04:03:09 PM
I have a box set of Salinger paperbacks but I've never read that one, I probably should. 

do iiiit

it's a quick read

piano moths

It's my favorite Salinger! And one of my favorite books ever. SO SO good.
kill them w kindness

snoorkel

Quote from: Reisen on October 18, 2011, 04:34:17 PM
do iiiit

it's a quick read

maybe I will. of late I've been yearning for some good fiction.

Go Up