April 23, 2024, 05:29:50 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I have no ambition

Started by Travis, September 29, 2011, 09:31:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

PLEASEHELP1991

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 02, 2011, 07:34:28 PM
Every show Steve would sing "You can do anything... that you want to do"

laughable 5thgrade;
it's marxist propaganda
I love [you]

vulpix

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 02, 2011, 07:34:28 PM
Every show Steve would sing "You can do anything... that you want to do"
laughable

but it's true

YPrrrr

Quote from: vulpix on October 03, 2011, 02:28:25 PM
but it's true
Ideally, not really. Your environment greatly dictates your possibilities

snoorkel

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 04, 2011, 04:07:14 AM
Ideally, not really. Your environment greatly dictates your possibilities

what is your major, out of curiosity

vulpix

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 04, 2011, 04:07:14 AM
Your environment greatly dictates your possibilities

your environment merely dictates the starting point of your life, so to speak. you can change it into anything you want from there

YPrrrr

Quote from: vulpix on October 04, 2011, 05:34:51 PM
your environment merely dictates the starting point of your life, so to speak. you can change it into anything you want from there
Unless you're born in Canada and want to be the US president. Or are born into a caste system. Or you are born a mute and want to be a singer. Or you live in an area with an awful school system. Etc. etc. limiting factors beyond your control
Quote from: vziard on October 04, 2011, 01:12:25 PM
what is your major, out of curiosity
Geography and political science... sort of following in the path of my parents unfortunately, but it's what I'm good at and what I enjoy learning about

snoorkel

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 04, 2011, 08:54:03 PM
Unless you're born in Canada and want to be the US president. Or are born into a caste system. Or you are born a mute and want to be a singer. Or you live in an area with an awful school system. Etc. etc. limiting factors beyond your control

as nyerp would say, that is retarded. you're basically saying it's impossible to put anything together unless the pieces are put in front of you. that is a terrible and sad way to live. I'm pretty sure if that's the way it worked I would have nothing that I have right now.

YPrrrr

Quote from: vziard on October 04, 2011, 11:45:10 PM
as nyerp would say, that is retarded. you're basically saying it's impossible to put anything together unless the pieces are put in front of you. that is a terrible and sad way to live. I'm pretty sure if that's the way it worked I would have nothing that I have right now.
So what you're saying is if I want to be an NBA player all I have to do is work hard and my dreams will come true

Because that is hopelessly optimistic. Just because you have the desire and put in the effort doesn't guarantee success or results

snoorkel

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 05, 2011, 12:18:29 AM
So what you're saying is if I want to be an NBA player all I have to do is work hard and my dreams will come true

Because that is hopelessly optimistic. Just because you have the desire and put in the effort doesn't guarantee success or results

right but it's not like everyone starts with a clean slate of talents or there's commonly agreed upon best courses to choose. I was saying that you only truly get what you work for and build for yourself out of nothing, whether it's everything you hoped or not. life is not given to you by circumstance.

YPrrrr

Quote from: vziard on October 05, 2011, 12:28:44 AM
right but it's not like everyone starts with a clean slate of talents or there's commonly agreed upon best courses to choose. I was saying that you only truly get what you work for and build for yourself out of nothing, whether it's everything you hoped or not. life is not given to you by circumstance.
Right that's fine, I'm just saying you can't necessarily be whatever you want to be. And often you will have to choose between things you want, letting one dream fade to chase another. Hard work makes it all more likely to happen, but I've known plenty of very hard working people who were unemployed or were stuck in a job they had no interest in but had to have in order to take care of their family.

Also some people do have it handed to them but those are few and far between

snoorkel

October 05, 2011, 01:06:14 AM #40 Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:19:58 AM by vziard
Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 05, 2011, 12:34:35 AM
Right that's fine, I'm just saying you can't necessarily be whatever you want to be. And often you will have to choose between things you want, letting one dream fade to chase another. Hard work makes it all more likely to happen, but I've known plenty of very hard working people who were unemployed or were stuck in a job they had no interest in but had to have in order to take care of their family.

Also some people do have it handed to them but those are few and far between

I would say that this is the cycle peddled to people to control them, and that anyone really could do anything as long as it suits their true interests. Nothing will end well if forced, and anything evolving naturally will be perfect, because that is what nature is. I don't see how my life could be what it is if this isn't true (ie I have gone after lofty and against-the-grain goals and so far enjoyed success, not without faltering many times along the way), unless 'luck' is a tangible concept, which it isn't.

I mean you can go on thinking that 'this is just the lot I was given' and try to 'do your best' with it, as if some imaginary outside force is pushing against you, but where does that put you? In some realm where you and all your expended energy are resigned to achieving the 'most likely'? I'd rather embrace everything I am as if (but only as if) it was meant to be that way and figure out how to bet it all against the odds to make it back double. It's life and life only, after all :)

I don't want to save the world, I don't have any deluded ideas about myself, like everyone else I thrive on the idea that sometime in the future I might have more of what I want. But I want it now, I'm not about to sit back and let the gears churn until magically my dream pops out in front of me with a sign up sheet (this is what most people think life is). I'm about to throw a fuckin wrench into the gears, climb up the side of machine, and call myself machine master when I get to the top, fuck yeah! I'm about to fuckin hack the game and make myself level 50 without doing all the pointless quests, because it's my game to play, motherfucker, I didn't accept any terms or conditions, I created myself. More people don't do this because they're fooled by the whole idea of the system and the process and the proper method and all that bullshit. People are especially misguided by the idea that everything is exactly as it seems and not actually dependent on the ideas everyone has in their heads but are too afraid to say. Decide what you want and invent your own system. Yeah, it's a lot of work to do your own thing instead of chain yourself to someone else's dream (slavery sucks but at least it's easy and you get food for the family right), that's what I'm saying.

snoorkel

PLEASEHELP1991

For example, my dad wants to pursue a singing career... The problem is no matter how long he goes at it with his tone-deaf symphonies, he will never have the vocal cords to pursue his dream. Biology and cultural norms are working against him.
I love [you]

snoorkel

Quote from: youhavebeentold on October 07, 2011, 06:53:07 PM
For example, my dad wants to pursue a singing career... The problem is no matter how long he goes at it with his tone-deaf symphonies, he will never have the vocal cords to pursue his dream. Biology and cultural norms are working against him.

sux maybe he should just sell his ass he's proabbly good at that

Classic

October 08, 2011, 02:49:20 PM #44 Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 06:34:44 PM by Bert Schnick
You're a blind alley cruiser. Always heading down a losing straight, dreaming that you're screaming at fate. You're a dead-end, dead beat nowhere mister with a kisser like a Mississippi alligator sister.

But that can change. Do what makes you happy.

Go Up