April 20, 2024, 06:10:04 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

guys im building a computer

Started by FullmetalGanon, September 08, 2011, 10:02:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

FullmetalGanon

Recently my current PC has been overheating while playing games and acting a little slow. I used to be able to play new games on Ultra but now I have to run everything on Low and even then the fans blow super loud and my graphics card gives up. I've realized that it's not even worth trying to fix this dell. Besides, I've always wanted to build my own and I have been learning a decent bit about how to build one. (Kind of ) This PC will be for gaming mostly. I have a laptop for pretty much anything else I need to do.

This is what I have so far:

Case
Motherboard
Power Supply
Processor
CPU Cooler
Video Card
CD/DVD Drive
Hard Drive
RAM (x4)
Monitor
    Did I miss anything? I think all of my parts are compatible... They are, right? baddood; I tried to pick decently priced parts that had good user reviews.
    Also, do I need to buy an OS? And do I need to buy a sound card, or does it come with the motherboard?
>.< Guys help me

applesauce

I don't really agree with a lot of those suggestions, but yeah, they are compatible.

snoorkel

Most motherboards, including that one, have onboard audio. You can (very) easily torrent whichever version of Windows you want and never bother with serials or whatever fucking thing they have now.

Get this PSU, it's better and all the power you'll need: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=422168&CatId=5431

Might consider the i7-2600 instead of i5-2500k, the small price difference is worth it for the longevity it will give your system: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7073160&CatId=6991 and hot damn I want one of those

CPU cooler isn't necessary until you accidentally break the stock one, or plan to some extreme OC'ing. I ran my i7 OC'd for a year and a half with the stock cooler and it was fine. Get a nicer one if you want, but drop it first if you need to save money (in other words it's mostly a cosmetic choice).

GPU looks nice.

Get a 7200rpm drive, I mean why not? Ideally get a small SSD as well to store your OS and apps on. Here's a 7200rpm WD Caviar for $15 less: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7281716&CatId=2459

wtf is this PC3-10800 ram... I can't find other 10800 RAM. Don't know what will be compatible exactly but RAM is not something to skimp on, spend at least $60 on 6-8gb (maybe I am just biased but I don't see jesus christ how someone could live comfortably with 4gb).

I wouldn't trust that monitor, I guess only get it if it's the best deal. Get a brand name like Samsung, Dell, Lenovo (even LG), it's worth it.

FullmetalGanon

Quote from: vziard on September 08, 2011, 10:54:25 PM
Most motherboards, including that one, have onboard audio. You can (very) easily torrent whichever version of Windows you want and never bother with serials or whatever fucking thing they have now.

Get this PSU, it's better and all the power you'll need: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=422168&CatId=5431

Might consider the i7-2600 instead of i5-2500k, the small price difference is worth it for the longevity it will give your system: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7073160&CatId=6991 and hot damn I am want one of those

CPU cooler isn't necessary until you accidentally break the stock one, or plan to some extreme OC'ing. I am ran my i7 OC'd for a year and a half with the stock cooler and it was fine. Get a nicer one if you want, but drop it first if you need to save money (in other words it's mostly a cosmetic choice).

GPU looks nice.

Get a 7200rpm drive, I am mean why not? Ideally get a small SSD as well well to store your OS and apps on. Here's a 7200rpm WD Caviar for $15 less: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7281716&CatId=2459

wtf is this PC3-10800 ram... I am can't find other 10800 RAM. Don't know what will be compatible exactly but RAM is not something to skimp on, spend at least $60 on 6-8gb (maybe I am am just biased but I am don't seeing jesus christ how someone could live comfortably with 4gb).

I am wouldn't trust that monitor, I am guess only get it if it's the best deal. Get a brand name like Samsung, Dell, Lenovo (even LG), it's worth it.

Thats what I was thinking about doing. I was just a little worried about having my OS not be legitimate. Will I be able to update it and stuff?

Alright I'll get the i7-2600k. I wanna make sure to get the unlocked version so I can play around with over clocking. Thats why I wanted the CPU Fan. The fan is only 30 dollars anyways.

I didnt know that my choice of hard drive was so bad. I dont really know much about them. Your suggestion looks good. Same with the power supply.

I only picked those RAM cards because they were sort of cheap. Buying 4 decent cards is going to be more expensive than I thought.  >.< And I figured, yeah its 4gb but Im getting 4 of them. I guess I'll look for 6-8GB's. Motherboard says it can take up to 8gb RAM cards.

Yeah I didnt really see very many memorable brands when I was looking for monitors. I might just use my old monitor since I'm still pretty happy with it. Save some money too.

I want to spend at least $1000. Thats pretty much what I bought my current one for. With way worse parts.

Thanks for the help snorkel.  lubdoods;

FullmetalGanon

Quote from: applesauce on September 08, 2011, 10:30:24 PM
I am don't really agree with a lot of those suggestions, but yeah, they are compatible.

What dont you agree with? Maybe you're right. I have no idea. O_0

Also are these RAM Cards better? The little fin things on the top is for better cooling, right?

applesauce

Yes. RAM will always be cheaper if you buy the modules together. Anything that is DDR3 1333 or 1600 is good as long is it has good ratings. Try and get 2 x4gb for 8gb.

I'm not really a fan of that case, but that is an individual thing.

I have that same video card, and it is a great value.

FullmetalGanon

Quote from: applesauce on September 09, 2011, 10:57:25 AM
Yes. RAM will always be cheaper if you buy the modules together. Anything that is DDR3 1333 or 1600 is good as long is it has good ratings. Try and get 2 x4gb for 8gb.

I am not really a fan of that case, but that is an individual thing.

I am have that same video card, and it is a great value.

I mainly picked that case because of the temp. reading on the front. It also has pretty good reviews but I'll take a look at some more.
Yeah I'm gonna get two 2x4096s. Cheaper and better quality.
Thanks for the input.

snoorkel

Quote from: FullmetalGanon on September 09, 2011, 07:55:41 AM
Thats what I am was thinking about doing. I am was just a little worried about having my OS not be legitimate. Will I am be able to update it and stuff?

Alright I am'll get the i7-2600k. I am wanna make sure to get the unlocked version so I am can play around with over clocking. Thats why I am wanted the CPU Fan. The fan is only 30 dollars anyways.

I am didnt know that my choice of hard drive was so bad. I am dont really know much about them. Your suggestion looks good. Same with the power supply.

I am only picked those RAM cards because they were sort of cheap. Buying 4 decent cards is going to be more expensive than I am thought.  >.< And I am figured, yeah its 4gb but Im getting 4 of them. I am guess I am'll look for 6-8GB's. Motherboard says it can take up to 8gb RAM cards.

Yeah I am didnt really seeing very many memorable brands when I am was looking for monitors. I am might just use my old monitor since I am still pretty happy with it. Save some money too.

I am want to spend at least $1000. Thats pretty much what I am bought my current one for. With way worse parts.

Thanks for the help snorkel.  lubdoods;

Yeah, everybody knows know how to steal Windows, I'm sure it's not difficult even with the latest versions.

Be careful with OC'ing, don't do it if you know nothing about it, increase power in VERY SMALL increments only!!

and yeah the extra better ram will be worth it, you can OC RAM too if you want.

applesauce

Quote from: vziard on September 09, 2011, 03:05:45 PM

you can OC RAM too if you want.

Another good reason to do 2x 4. dual-channel is very rarely stable with more than 2 sticks above 1800.

Cookie

For a case you should use
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6531504&CatId=1509

I bought one for my build I did a few months ago and am very very very happy with it. It has great airflow and dust screens.

FullmetalGanon

Quote from: vziard on September 09, 2011, 03:05:45 PM
Yeah, everybody knows know how to steal Windows, I'm sure it's not difficult even with the latest versions.

Be careful with OC'ing, don't do it if you know nothing about it, increase power in VERY SMALL increments only!!

and yeah the extra better ram will be worth it, you can OC RAM too if you want.

Oh god you're gonna scare me into not trying it.  >.<

Quote from: Cookie on September 09, 2011, 05:02:20 PM
For a case you should use
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6531504&CatId=1509

I bought one for my build I did a few months ago and am very very very happy with it. It has great airflow and dust screens.

Jesus. It looks unbreakable. Looks nice and big at least.

snoorkel

Quote from: FullmetalGanon on September 09, 2011, 06:55:16 PM
Oh god you're gonna scare me into not trying it.  >.<

If you get the i7-2600, you'll hardly need to OC anyway, you'll probably never even have all cores above 100% load  n_u

FullmetalGanon

Well thanks guys. I feel a lot more comfortable.  bassir; where is bassir btw?

snoorkel

Quote from: FullmetalGanon on September 09, 2011, 08:27:03 PM
Well thanks guys. I feel a lot more comfortable.  bassir; where is bassir btw?

he went to iraq and we haven't heard from him since

FullmetalGanon

Go Up