April 23, 2024, 09:43:01 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Keyboards

Started by Hiro, September 05, 2011, 11:39:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9246/subcatid/0/id/530729

hnnnng I want this so bad.  cnotedood;

In comparison to other high-end keyboards, $60 really isn't that bad, especially since it's in incredible condition for its age. Snorkel, I know you have one; is a it worth it? I already checked ebay and they were around $40 and not in so great condition.

Nyerp

September 05, 2011, 11:40:40 PM #1 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:08:13 AM by Sakamoto
lol you like something old so you must be a hipster!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

i had this keyboard when i had my early 90's computer that i played ski free on.

it was pretty good. keys felt sturdy.

snoorkel

I've used many, and the best are the IBM Model M (commonly regarded as the classic 'clicky keyboard'), and the Apple Extended II, by far. Problem with the Extended II is a that you will need to get an ADB-to-USB adapter to connect it to any modern PC, but it's BEAUTIFUL and like NO OTHER KEYBOARD YOU HAVE EVER USED. It's not even like Model Ms, it's in a class all of its own. All the vintage collectors in the know cherish Apple Extended IIs because they were made with some spring mechanism that's nearly impossible to find elsewhere... and oh does it glide. I have mine sitting right in front of me but my adapter broke a few months ago and I haven't bought a new one. Sometimes I type on it a little before going to bed to call me down, it lulls me into a kind of docile stupor

Oh god little metal springy alpine springs RUB IT

edit: also while the Model M is great, I don't think it's actually worth adjusting to as a steady keyboard... it lacks the modern key sizes/spacing and has the large spaces between keys that old keyboards have (Apple Extended II is not like this).

applesauce

I use one of these guys:

<3

Hiro

Quote from: vziard on September 06, 2011, 03:53:04 AM
I've used many, and the best are the IBM Model M (commonly regarded as the classic 'clicky keyboard'), and the Apple Extended II, by far. Problem with the Extended II is a a that you will need to get an ADB-to-USB adapter to connect it to any modern PC, but it's BEAUTIFUL and like NO OTHER KEYBOARD YOU HAVE EVER USED. It's not even like Model Ms, it's in a class all of its own. All the vintage collectors in the know cherish Apple Extended IIs because they were made with some spring mechanism that's nearly impossible to find elsewhere... and oh does it glide. I have mine sitting right in front of me but my adapter broke a few months ago and I haven't bought a new one. Sometimes I type on it a little before going to bed to call me down, it lulls me into a kind of docile stupor

Oh god little metal springy alpine springs RUB IT

edit: also while the Model M is a great, I don't think it's actually worth adjusting to as a steady keyboard... it lacks the modern key sizes/spacing and has the large spaces between keys that old keyboards have (Apple Extended II is a not like this).
Does this look correct? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-M3501-Extended-Keyboard-II-/300589767233?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item45fc8bda41#ht_1594wt_932

It's a lot cheaper too.

Hiro

It's a little more expensive, but it still looks really nice :'(

What are some differences between it and the Model M exactly? I know they have different switches, but that's about all I can tell.

I want one of them really badly  saddood;

snoorkel

Quote from: Hiro on September 06, 2011, 06:08:19 PM
It's a little more expensive, but it still looks really nice :'(

What are some differences between it and the Model M exactly? I know they have different switches, but that's about all I can tell.

I want one of them really badly  saddood;

Model M is more of a brisk, sharp all-at-once click. Extended II switches are more refined and less resistant (I guess) so you can glide between keys easily without staccato-typing... it's actually easier to use than any but a high-end modern desktop keyboard, by far. It's like if a MacBook keyboard were adapted to desktop sized keys.

I mean, if you use OS X (don't know if you do), there's really no question, Apple keyboard layouts are the same now. Model M will work on a Mac but it doesn't have 3 keys for Ctrl-Windows-Alt, which I would find really annoying (for any OS).

Daddy

I want a cool keyboard for my desktop.

Go Up