April 24, 2024, 01:42:29 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

$80 price drop in four months what the lol

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 28, 2011, 01:24:01 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

the same argument was made with the ps3, and while it was completely true, it struggled until it was half its initial price goowan

yet like the 3ds the wii probably cost 2/3 of what it sold for to produce, but because it was by far the cheapest it won sillydood;

strongbad

Taken from a reddit comment:
QuoteComment by user: indiefilmsrme saved on Thu Jul 28 2011 10:56:18 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Step 1: Purchase at Best Buy on August 10th for $250, connect to eShop.
Step 2: Price Match to $170 on August 12th.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit with a $170 3DS and 20 free games!

hmm

Kalahari Inkantation

ME##

Quote from: Tectrinket on July 28, 2011, 12:17:11 PM
the same argument was made with the ps3, and while it was completely true, it struggled until it was half its initial price goowan

yet like the 3ds the wii probably cost 2/3 of what it sold for to produce, but because it was by far the cheapest it won sillydood;

but $250 is now the established price for handhelds [three of the past four important ones launched at that price], $500/600 was not and still isn't goowan

Kalahari Inkantation

but the best-selling handheld in history was far less expensive than its $250 competitor befuddlement

I honestly don't think people care much about what they get for the price; what matters to most is simply the price.  They both play games, and the 3DS has more easily marketable features (OMG 3D TWO SCREENS).  This was the very same situation the Wii and PS3 found themselves in (OMG WAGGLE), and that was disastrous for Sony.

It certainly would have been a very close competition had the 3DS remained $250, but with this rather sudden, hefty price cut, I now expect the Vita to struggle. n_u

ME##

Quote from: Tectrinket on July 28, 2011, 12:45:40 PM
but the best-selling handheld in history was far less expensive than its $250 competitor befuddlement

I honestly don't think people care much about what they get for the price; what matters to most is simply the price.  They both play games, and the 3DS has more easily marketable features (OMG 3D TWO SCREENS).  This was the very same situation the Wii and PS3 found themselves in (OMG WAGGLE), and that was disastrous for Sony.

It certainly would have been a very close competition had the 3DS remained $250, but with this rather sudden, hefty price cut, I now expect the Vita to struggle. n_u

yes, the ds outsold the psp.  but the psp did do something that no other handheld was able to do before it, carve out some healthy market-share to form a niche market of its own.  confuseddood;

and i really don't expect the vita to struggle.  eighty lolworthlessdollarscome2august isn't necessarily an unimaginable premium to pay for something goowan

Kalahari Inkantation

July 28, 2011, 12:57:00 PM #21 Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:09:39 PM by Tectrinket
yes, the psp did manage to become the best-selling non-nintendo console in history by far (it's nearly at the GBA's total lifetime sales O_0)

However I expect Sony to have another issue that will hinder them in addition to the significant price difference and lack of a marketable gimmick: lack of recognizable games at launch.  Of course, the 3DS had the exact issue and the Vita will have at least one huge title to rely on (Uncharted), but by the time the Vita's on sale, the 3DS will have Super Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, and all the other first-party titles that are the only reason to buy a Nintedo console.  The Vita's lack of launch games and its much higher price will make it a hard sell, despite the fact that the console itself is actually worth more than what it sells for and the 3DS is worth quite a bit less . n_u

ME##

yes, the launch will probably be rough.  but most launches are.  n_u

it'll really just depend on how well sony can market the thing [please oh god let kb market it and not that black kid] in the beginning and get developers to support it with quality titles.  if [huge if] sony can do this effectively, when the second wave of big games come out for both, the vita won't be on such bad footing. 

Kalahari Inkantation

like everything else it all comes down to gaymes scarecrowdood;

ME##

Quote from: Tectrinket on July 28, 2011, 01:03:05 PM
like everything else it all comes down to gaymes scarecrowdood;

yes, hopefully the vitamin and 3headaches can both have good gaymes cry;

strongbad

Hiro

Quote from: Tectrinket on July 28, 2011, 12:17:11 PM
the ps3 is not worth 599 US DOLLARS  baddood;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Hiro on July 28, 2011, 04:17:17 PM
the ps3 is not worth 599 US DOLLARS  baddood;

its components were worth $800ish when it was first released, so sony took a loss of $200/console

Kalahari Inkantation

so the mario kart 7 logo was revealed

[spoiler][/spoiler]

goowan

ME##

Go Up