As an atheist, how do you cope with the thought of death?

Started by strongbad, July 11, 2011, 12:22:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

We were talking about the definition of atheist here, not agnostic. By definition, agnosticism has nothing to do with believing there is a higher power, sure, but atheism has everything to do with it, and only with it and nothing else. You don't believe in deities and it ends there. So the whole "atheists think they know everything" angle is bad&wrong and that's what's been annoying me about this whole issue.

It's not about knowing, it's about believing. You can call me an agnostic atheist if you want, and it would correspond pretty well with my believes, but in the end I'm still an atheist. Actually, if we want to take the labelling road, I may as well be an antireligious apatheistic agnostic atheist. But it's easier to just shorten it to atheist. I'd say that's what most atheists do, really.

applesauce

Quote from: Thyme on July 16, 2011, 11:15:42 PM
We were talking about the definition of atheist here, not agnostic. By definition, agnosticism has nothing to do with believing there is a higher power, sure, but atheism has everything to do with it, and only with it and nothing else. You don't believe in deities and it ends there. So the whole "atheists think they know everything" angle is bad&wrong and that's what's been annoying me about this whole issue.

It's not about knowing, it's about believing. You can call me an agnostic atheist if you want, and it would correspond pretty well with my believes, but in the end I'm still an atheist. Actually, if we want to take the labelling road, I may as well be an antireligious apatheistic agnostic atheist. But it's easier to just shorten it to atheist. I'd say that's what most atheists do, really.

No, being an athiest means that you absolutely believe that there is no a higher power at all. Agnosticism is about disbelief, Atheism is about a belief in a lack of a higher power.

Thyme

Quote from: applesauce on July 16, 2011, 11:18:46 PM
No, being an athiest means that you absolutely believe that there is no a higher power at all. Agnosticism is about disbelief, Atheism is about a belief in a lack of a higher power.

Yes. I don't think I said anything that went against that. confuseddood;

applesauce

Quote from: Thyme on July 16, 2011, 11:25:13 PM
Yes. I don't think I said anything that went against that. confuseddood;

So you really believe that you understand how every part of the universe functions well enough to say, without a doubt, that there certainly is no intelligent force/something altogether different that humans don't understand?

Quote from: Squid Girl on July 16, 2011, 07:18:37 PM
I can't say for certain that there is no god, nor will I

Well, she did, at least.

Thyme

Quote from: applesauce on July 16, 2011, 11:29:14 PM
So you really believe that you understand how every part of the universe functions well enough to say, without a doubt, that there certainly is no intelligent force/something altogether different that humans don't understand?

No, of course not. That would be retarded.

I can just say that I believe there is no god. Which is good enough for most dictionary publishers and most people who aren't being anal like you are right now to call me an atheist.

I could say that I'm certain there is no god, but that would be just me being bold. It gets the message across better.

lol echo is a guy

applesauce

Quote from: Thyme on July 16, 2011, 11:39:24 PM
god

But how far do you extend that? A lot of people, including most people who are even somewhat reasonable, have a pretty wide view about what "god"could be.

Nyerp

i think that most people who assign themselves to a religion believe whatever that religion tells them "god" is supposed to be

Hiro

Atheism is, by definition, a lack of belief in a deity. Agnosticism is the belief that you cannot know either way. That's it, nothing more.
Atheism is not a religion.

Applesauce, you're just trying to convert people to your point of view on the subject. What about theists? How can they know there's a god any better than an atheist can know there's not? Atheists find there is absolutely no reason to believe a god exists, just like there's no reason to believe in ghosts or that alien lizard people secretly run the world. Sure there's no way of knowing for sure, but it would be silly to think it was at all likely.

applesauce

Quote from: Hiro on July 17, 2011, 02:06:12 AM
What about theists? How can they know there's a god any better than an atheist can know there's not?

Exactly. That's the point.

Daddy

Paraphrasing the God Delusion:

Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

Most people lie within the 6th one.

Andria

Quote from: applesauce on July 16, 2011, 11:29:14 PM

Well, she did, at least.

You are misinterpreting what I say. I have zero belief in a god or any god, but that doesn't mean I am going to run around screaming that I know with 100% certainty that there isn't one. I can do that while believing it is extremely improbable and not having an ounce of belief in any god.

wawi

Quote from: Hiro on July 17, 2011, 02:06:12 AM
Atheism is, by definition, a lack of belief in a deity. Agnosticism is the belief that you cannot know either way. That's it, nothing more.
Atheism is not a religion.

It's what you believe. There are different degrees. They overlap. Obviously it isn't a religion, but like I said, it's what you believe about the universe. That there isn't a god, gods, higher intelligence, etc.
QuoteDemographic research services normally do not differentiate between various types of non-religious respondents so agnostics end up in the same category as atheists and/or other non-religious people. Some sources use agnostic in the sense of noncommittal. Agnosticism often overlaps with other belief systems. Agnostic theists identify themselves both as agnostics and as followers of particular religions, viewing agnosticism as a framework for thinking about the nature of belief and their relation to revealed truths. Some nonreligious people, such as author Philip Pullman, identify as both agnostic and atheist.

Thomas Henry Huxley defined the term:

Agnosticism is not a creed but a method, the essence of which lies in the vigorous application of a single principle... Positively the principle may be expressed as in matters of intellect, do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable.

Applesauce, you're just trying to convert people to your point of view on the subject. What about theists? How can they know there's a god any better than an atheist can know there's not? Atheists find there is absolutely no reason to believe a god exists, just like there's no reason to believe in ghosts or that alien lizard people secretly run the world. Sure there's no way of knowing for sure, but it would be silly to think it was at all likely.

I don't see him trying to convert people to anything lol. You missed his whole point.

YPrrrr

I'm with Applesauce

Yay I haven't been in one of these for a while

Nyerp

Thyme

Go Up