As an atheist, how do you cope with the thought of death?

Started by strongbad, July 11, 2011, 12:22:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Quote from: vziard on July 13, 2011, 05:21:59 PM
It's not something to avoid or fear, I view it simply as another birth.

How so? I cannot possibly fathom some sort of afterlife, so how is it another birth? Unless you do expect some sort of afterlife to occur, in which case you should elaborate because I am interested.

Daddy

I just do not fear it nor do I care.

I actively avoid death but I am not afraid of what happens when I die.  baddood;

applesauce

I don't understand how anyone can really be an athiest. How is not everyone agnostic?

Andria

Quote from: applesauce on July 16, 2011, 01:54:01 PM
I don't understand how anyone can really be an athiest. How is not everyone agnostic?

Because science.

But really, it isn't that hard to imagine. Why do you think everyone would be agnostic?

applesauce

Quote from: Squid Girl on July 16, 2011, 02:10:35 PM
Because science.

But really, it isn't that hard to imagine. Why do you think everyone would be agnostic?

Because being athiest is really the same thing as being religious. Being athiest you are saying that you know everything. How can anyone say that? Being agnostic is acknowledging that you really don't know, and never will know, everything.

Thyme

applesauce

Quote from: Thyme on July 16, 2011, 03:54:03 PM
Wow, no. goowan

Dur, yes it is. Saying that you are confident that there is no intelligent force in the universe whatsoever and that our current scientific method can and for the most part has determined everything to an absolute is akin to saying that you understand pretty much everything about everything, and that you are capable of understanding absolutely everything, which is a pretty conceited worldview.

Thyme

Quote from: applesauce on July 16, 2011, 04:02:12 PM
Saying that you are confident that there is no intelligent force in the universe whatsoever and that our current scientific method can and for the most part has determined everything to an absolute is akin to saying that you understand pretty much everything about everything

I don't understand that comparison. I really don't. Probably because it doesn't make any sense.

I'll be first to admit that I don't understand/know everything. That wouldn't only be conceited, that would be foolish. But I understand atheism. It's a fairly easy concept. And you obviously don't, because really, that's not it.

You know what, I'm not very good at this. I'll just wait for JMV to post a rebuttal.

applesauce

Quote from: Thyme on July 16, 2011, 04:14:33 PM
I don't understand that comparison. I really don't. Probably because it doesn't make any sense.

I'll be first to admit that I don't understand/know everything. That wouldn't only be conceited, that would be foolish. But I understand atheism. It's a fairly easy concept. And you obviously don't, because really, that's not it.

You know what, I'm not very good at this. I'll just wait for JMV to post a rebuttal.

No, I don't understand it. I absolutely do not understand how an intelligent person can say they know, with certainty, that no force exists that it not understood by humans.

Andria

Quote from: applesauce on July 16, 2011, 03:21:07 PM
Because being athiest is really the same thing as being religious. Being athiest you are saying that you know everything. How can anyone say that? Being agnostic is acknowledging that you really don't know, and never will know, everything.

Clearly you know nothing about being an atheist.

It isn't saying you know everything. It is saying that you don't believe an age old story is actually true simply because you are told. It is simply not believing in something where there is no legitimate evidence to prove. I can't say for certain that there is no god, nor will I but in the end I simply don't believe in one or any.

Being agnostic is saying that you don't really know but you still believe there is a higher power. It isn't acknowledging you don't know everything, while claiming that you know there is a god.

Daddy

i also refuse to claim i know whether or not unicorns, zeus, fairies, ogres, frost giants, and any other mythological beings exist or not.

Thyme

wawi

applesauce is right
Quote from: Squid Girl on July 16, 2011, 07:18:37 PM
Clearly you know nothing about being an atheist.
It isn't saying you know everything. It is saying that you don't believe an age old story is actually true simply because you are told. It is simply not believing in something where there is no legitimate evidence to prove. I can't say for certain that there is no god, nor will I but in the end I simply don't believe in one or any.

Congratulations, you're an agnostic atheist.
Being agnostic is saying that you don't really know but you still believe there is a higher power. It isn't acknowledging you don't know everything, while claiming that you know there is a god.

Um...no, there are different types of agnostic  doodhuh; You can be an agnostic _____ (theist, deist, atheist, etc.) It goes along with any. You claim to not know everything, but you also can think there is or isn't.
Quote from: applesauce on July 16, 2011, 04:02:12 PM
Dur, yes it is. Saying that you are confident that there is no intelligent force in the universe whatsoever and that our current scientific method can and for the most part has determined everything to an absolute is akin to saying that you understand pretty much everything about everything, and that you are capable of understanding absolutely everything, which is a pretty conceited worldview.

Quote from: applesauce on July 16, 2011, 04:19:59 PM

No, I don't understand it. I absolutely do not understand how an intelligent person can say they know, with certainty, that no force exists that it not understood by humans.

I agree with every post you've made. thumbup;

Socks

i'm an agnostic. fuck you all. i'm spiritual and divine. the rest is cosmic wine.

applesauce

July 16, 2011, 10:34:07 PM #29 Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:39:28 PM by applesauce
Quote from: Squid Girl on July 16, 2011, 07:18:37 PM
I can't say for certain that there is no god, nor will I

That is called being agnostic.

Why do so many people fail to understand this?  doodhuh;

And thank you for your help, wawi.

QuoteBeing agnostic is saying that you don't really know but you still believe there is a higher power.

Uh, no. Being agnostic is saying that you don't know. It's acknowledging that you don't, and probably never will, understand most things about life and the universe in general. Being agnostic has nothing to do with believing there is a higher power.

Go Up