April 28, 2024, 08:05:37 AM

1,531,646 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Finally getting rid of fucking iPhone

Started by snoorkel, June 22, 2011, 04:46:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

Quote from: Hiro on July 01, 2011, 11:39:15 PM
htc is nice, yeah. my stepdad has a thunderbolt and the hardware's really not as cutting-edge anymore. i will say that verizon's 4g is brilliant though. still, the galaxy s ii is sexy as fuck, and i've heard the battery life is vastly better than most android phones out right now, including the thunderbolt.
samsung's stock skin is pretty shitty, but sense isn't amazing either and if you're going to be rooting the thing then you'll have plenty of better interface options to choose from.

true. I'm reconsidering the Thunderbolt anyway, since I now realize there's more dual-core phones out than I thought. I'll probably just wait a few months and see what's available in the fall, seems to me like right now might be a bad time to upgrade... I'll wait for dual-core and 2.3 ubiquity before choosing a phone to keep for a year.

Hiro

Quote from: vziard on July 01, 2011, 11:56:24 PM
true. I'm reconsidering the Thunderbolt anyway, since I now realize there's more dual-core phones out than I thought. I'll probably just wait a few months and see what's available in the fall, seems to me like right now might be a bad time to upgrade... I'll wait for dual-core and 2.3 ubiquity before choosing a phone to keep for a year.
my evo just got the 2.3 update, so it's taking over pretty quickly, and a custom rom will get you that anyhow.
i do think the thunderbolt is great, i just think the galaxy s ii is the classiest thing i've seen in while. waiting is a good idea though, i'm sure something cool will come up in a few months.

?????

You should wait for Samsung's Galaxy S II. It's supposed to come out in August, or you could pick up an unlocked version on amazon. The unlocked version might be AT&T bands only, maybe T-mob.

There's already a bunch of ROMs thanks to guys at XDA. CyanogenMod is supposed to be ported to it too, if you care about that.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

I got a Thunderbolt today because I need some wifi until cable gets setup, I'm impressed.

?????

Die for Dethklok

KonohaShinobi

Is tethering free on other smart phones? is AT&T the only company dicking consumers for it?

?????

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on July 28, 2011, 08:26:42 PM
Is tethering free on other smart phones? is AT&T the only company dicking consumers for it?

No. I'm pretty sure that all the major carriers have tethering plans. Which is stupid because you're basically paying for your Internet service twice. You're supposed to use an official app from your carrier to tether but I'm pretty sure you could find another app.
Die for Dethklok

bluaki

I'm able to tether freely with my T-Mobile Nexus S without extra charges and I'm signed up for just a regular data plan. The option's simply in its Android settings menu (settings->wireless & network->thethering & portable hotspot).

?????

Quote from: bluaki on July 29, 2011, 06:41:47 PM
I'm able to tether freely with my T-Mobile Nexus S without extra charges and I'm signed up for just a regular data plan. The option's simply in its Android settings menu (settings->wireless & network->thethering & portable hotspot).

I think that's because you have a Google phone. Otherwise that option would probably have been taken out.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Tethering is 20/mo extra including an upgrade to a 4gb data plan for my Thunderbolt. I've been using the mobile hotspot feature quite a bit, and while it's not quite perfect yet (phone flips between LTE and CDMA modes and drops data connection in between), it's some fast shit when it works. Overall I love this phone, no complaints.

?????

Quote from: vziard on July 30, 2011, 11:19:02 AM
Tethering is 20/mo extra including an upgrade to a 4gb data plan for my Thunderbolt. I've been using the mobile hotspot feature quite a bit, and while it's not quite perfect yet (phone flips between LTE and CDMA modes and drops data connection in between), it's some fast shit when it works. Overall I love this phone, no complaints.

You're paying for tethering?
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

?????

If you root the Thunderbolt than you can download free tethering apps, or just use the built-in Google feature that was disabled.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: TheSequel on July 31, 2011, 07:17:14 PM
If you root the Thunderbolt than you can download free tethering apps, or just use the built-in Google feature that was disabled.

I wanted the extra 2gb of data anyway (since they don't fucking do unlimited anymore), but yeah I should do that.

?????

Die for Dethklok

Go Up