April 18, 2024, 12:00:47 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

Quote from: Totla on June 18, 2013, 09:36:29 PM
Kanatagatari was really great. Like really great. I'm so glad I didn't have to watch it while it was airing though because waiting a month between episodes would have been killer. Especially the last two.
idk if i want this to be a 9/10 or a 10/10
Your opinion is so different than that of everybody who watched my stream of it

Totla

Quote from: bluaki on June 18, 2013, 09:37:57 PM
Your opinion is so different than that of everybody who watched my stream of it
yeah i saw that you and kaz both gave it a 7
idk
if you look at my list i tent to rate things higher than other people
i feel like its easier for me to enjoy shows because i am very empathetic by nature so its easier for me to invest emotionally in characters and because i'm involved in them i overlook flaws the show might have
i like to just enjoy the show and i don't really criticize them unless there's something glaring or if there's a super overused trope (i'm looking at you, "one of our friends is rich and has a house on the beach" and also "they only kiss at the very end")
also for this show specifically i liked the longer episodes. originally i didn't realize they were almost an hour and thought they were really going to have to rush it to do twelve swords in twelve 22 minute episodes. but the long episodes were nice and you got to know each sword owner pretty well. the characters were all likable in their own way and no one was clear cut good/evil it was all really shades of grey, which i like
i don't know why i rambled

bluaki

Quote from: Totla on June 18, 2013, 10:16:19 PM
yeah i saw that you and kaz both gave it a 7
idk
if you look at my list i tent to rate things higher than other people
i feel like its easier for me to enjoy shows because i am very empathetic by nature so its easier for me to invest emotionally in characters and because i'm involved in them i overlook flaws the show might have
i like to just enjoy the show and i don't really criticize them unless there's something glaring or if there's a super overused trope (i'm looking at you, "one of our friends is rich and has a house on the beach" and also "they only kiss at the very end")
also for this show specifically i liked the longer episodes. originally i didn't realize they were almost an hour and thought they were really going to have to rush it to do twelve swords in twelve 22 minute episodes. but the long episodes were nice and you got to know each sword owner pretty well. the characters were all likable in their own way and no one was clear cut good/evil it was all really shades of grey, which i like
i don't know why i rambled
I think I originally gave it an 8 then lowered my score to 7 after a rewatch

Kaz and I actually have a better opinion of the series than the others who watched the stream and several episodes before the end people were tired of the series and wanted to stop watching. Nyerp and Tec both rated it 4/10 and I forget if there was anyone else.

I think complaints were mostly along the lines of excessive dialogue, too many full conversations that have very little plot relevance, ridiculous character personalities, silly scenes about things like togame's "romance" being out-of-place, etc.

Totla

Quote from: bluaki on June 18, 2013, 10:31:33 PM
I think I originally gave it an 8 then lowered my score to 7 after a rewatch

Kaz and I actually have a better opinion of the series than the others who watched the stream and several episodes before the end people were tired of the series and wanted to stop watching. Nyerp and Tec both rated it 4/10 and I forget if there was anyone else.

I think complaints were mostly along the lines of excessive dialogue, too many full conversations that have very little plot relevance, ridiculous character personalities, silly scenes about things like togame's "romance" being out-of-place, etc.
even if someone didn't really like it i don't think it deserves a "bad"

the -gatari shows all have ridiculous characters and lots of dialogue so expecting anything different is kind of silly. actually this show had a lot more action to dialogue than say Bakemonogatari. lots of talking can be bad (SNK has been really bad about this the last few episodes) but i think katanagatari did it well personally. even though some conversations are kind of frivolous those usually are to let us see more of the characters which i always think is good even if it isn't central to the plot, as long as things actually happen and it doesn't turn into a bunch of pointlessness broken up by short bursts of plot (valvrave. though admittedly i sort of gave up after episode 6 and haven't watched since)
also i think i liked it because it it was different from a lot of other shows just in the characters and the setting and stuff. it helps that it had nothing to do with a high school because there are way too many shows about high school. seriously.

TooB

I think i heard that katanagatari isnt part of the gatari series

Totla

Quote from: Chesty LaRue on June 19, 2013, 11:37:49 AM
I think i heard that katanagatari isnt part of the gatari series
it's not the same series but it's the same author so the styles are kind of similar

TooB

TooB

Totla

Quote from: Chesty LaRue on June 19, 2013, 10:06:23 PM
Started toradora.
wrench;

i'm 4 episodes into Madoka Magica
i've never watched a magical girl anime before but this isn't what i expected them to be like
i thought they were supposed to be light and happy and fun and stuff

Samus Aran

i kind of doubt you didn't already know this, but it's a deconstruction of a magical girl anime and thus quite unlike magical girl animes lol

Totla

ya i kind of figured that out after a few things
the art is fantastic though (and reminds me of some other show i can't think of atm) and i really like the show so far

bluaki

Quote from: Totla on June 19, 2013, 11:19:40 PM
wrench;

i'm 4 episodes into Madoka Magica
i've never watched a magical girl anime before but this isn't what i expected them to be like
i thought they were supposed to be light and happy and fun and stuff
If you want to see another magical girl anime that's more like what you'd expect them to be like, try Lyrical Nanoha

Although nanoha also strays quite a bit from typical magical girl anime, it's more like a combination of magical girl with shounen. It's the next most-recommended magical girl series and is pretty good.

Other more typical magical girl series I've seen are Precure, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Shugo Chara. They're all too long to easily recommend: about 500, 70, and 100 episodes respectively.

bluaki

Quote from: Totla on June 19, 2013, 11:36:15 PM
ya i kind of figured that out after a few things
the art is fantastic though (and reminds me of some other show i can't think of atm) and i really like the show so far
Madoka Magica is animated by SHAFT, which is known for using unusual art styles
Other things animated by SHAFT include Bakemonogatari, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, ef, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Denpa Onna, Hidamari Sketch, Paniponi, and Sasami

Totla

bluaki is wise and all-knowing
all praise bluaki

I finished Madoka and that was probably one of the best shows i've ever watched

Samus Aran

i liked nanoha but i haven't gotten around to its sequel seasons yet

but unlike bluaki i only think nanoha is just pretty good/solid, basically 7/10 material

still watch it though if you want another magical girl show that isn't long

Go Up