April 24, 2024, 09:00:42 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

don't let's

bluaki

Recently started:
Acchi Kocchi
Accel World
Fate/Zero Season 2
Haiyore! Nyarlko-san
Hyouka
Jormungand
the new Lupin
Medaka Box
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Sakamichi no Apollon
Sankarea
Sengoku Collection
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Tsuritama
Space Brothers
Zetman

I might drop Jormungand, Medaka Box, Zetman, and/or Sengoku Collection soon, but I'll probably continue watching the others until the end.

Nyerp

episode 60

...when did i switch over to gurren lagann?

seriously, this is just getting ridiculous goowan

Nyerp

he's turned himself into a philosopher's stone and now he's forcing his way inside my body?!

Samus Aran

Quote from: Fuck on April 26, 2012, 05:43:17 AM
episode 60

...when did i switch over to gurren lagann?

seriously, this is just getting ridiculous goowan

yeah it gets rather over-the-top when father is like...doin his thang, u no

Nyerp

you know, the show kind of loses its edge when the final episode is nothing but a string of "OMG LOOK EVERYTHING IS SO HAPPY LOOK AT IT AREN'T YOU HAPPY TOO" moments

mustang getting his eyesight back just like that is some bullshit. and really, it's kind of difficult to accept that scar got off so easily.

all in all, i don't think this show was any better or worse than the original anime; in fact, i think the main reason why people think it's so much better than the first series (besides the usual "BAWWWW BUT IT'S MORE FAITHFUL TO THE MANGAAAA" bullshit argument that retards make) is that they've been tricked into thinking that a bigger story, one with more characters, more fights, a more "epic" scale, and more plot in general, is necessarily a better story

and that's just not the case bassir;

not to mention the fact that the first 12 episodes were a rushed, barely watchable mess or how the comedic bits completely killed the tone of the show at several key parts

...or how the emotional core that made the original series so appealing had been sacrificed somewhat to make room for the much bigger helpings of everything else...BUT EYE DIE GRESS

8/10

[spoiler]i loved this show so much that i literally could not stop watching it, so there's that too smithicide;[/spoiler]

also the main villain was shit, his motives were shit, he was generic as fuck anime villain #56832, his origins still weren't really defined well enough for me to care (hoenheim's blood was USED to create him...but what else? WHY does he exist? WHO made him?), hell even the 2003 anime's silly original villain felt like more of a developed concept i mean christ

Samus Aran

i found myself frustrated in the origin story of the "dwarf in the flask" and hoenheim because there was just...nothing. no explanation. so yeah, i agree with your tiny text.

and i also could not stop watching this show once i got really into it lol, jesus christ

bluaki

I was able to stop watching the show

for about one week at a time bassir;

I started it when there were like 3 episodes already available and continued following it for over a year until the end

bluaki

So I was watching Mouretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates and

sudden unexpected yuri kiss and romance in the middle of the most recent episode O_0 giggle;
[spoiler=also screenshot/minor spoils][/spoiler]

This series has so far (17 episodes) had basically (and thankfully) no sexual fanservice, not even an upskirt when all the schoolgirls float around in zero-gravity, and I honestly expected it to not include any romance either until now.

Nyerp

Samus Aran

there's a kiss in that scene? all i see is a girl in an alligator outfit

bluaki

Quote from: Cirno on April 29, 2012, 04:52:46 PM
there's a kiss in that scene? all i see is a girl in an alligator outfit
Those two costumes follow from the previous episode's what I'd consider the strangest scene in the series:
[spoiler=perfect outfits for invading another ship][/spoiler]

bluaki

After putting it off for way too long (since November or so), I just finished Revolutionary Girl Utena. Watched pretty much the entire second half this week.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: bluaki on May 03, 2012, 10:00:44 PM
After putting it off for way too long (since November or so), I just finished Revolutionary Girl Utena. Watched pretty much the entire second half this week.
how good is it

and how good is the plot

My woman wants me to watch this with her but there's other stuff I want to watch first. She hasn't seen it either so neither of us really know anything about it.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

bluaki

Quote from: Pancake Persona on May 04, 2012, 02:55:34 AM
how good is it

and how good is the plot

My woman wants me to watch this with her but there's other stuff I want to watch first. She hasn't seen it either so neither of us really know anything about it.
It's pretty good overall

The series largely focuses on character development. For most of the episodes, the episode is largely spent developing one character, showing their past and current interactions/events (with many episodes expanding on a previously-shown event from a different character's perspective) followed by that character challenging Utena to a duel
Although they always show subplots in character development, most episodes actually don't develop the primary plot at all. Except for four very filler-ish episodes (of 39 total), the subplots are all pretty good.

The beginning (first arc of three) starts of a little slow, but the later parts get much more serious

Go Up