April 18, 2024, 02:56:32 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: Dead End Moon on March 02, 2012, 04:30:32 PM
Actually though, in some ways, it would give off a completely different feel if you've read the manga first, concerning a couple things

if that's the case, i'll probably experience that if i re-watch the show after having read the manga

for now, i'm just gonna keep going with the show. enjoying it so far. happydood;

Nyerp

ME##

i think i may finish trigun today before anime night  >_<' >_<' >_<'

Nyerp

i just watched trigun: badlands rumble (on blu-ray on a huge-ass tv fuck you guys)

it really is just an elongated episode, and an average one at that

7/10

Samus Aran

Finished Ga-Rei: Zero last night. It was a pretty great little series. My only real complaints are that a couple specific things in it are kind of dumb...namely the bizarre way that some of the characters fight, especially the director. Silly weapons everywhere. And the CG isn't particularly great, in fact it's quite mediocre at times. Thankfully, it's mostly only used on one specific type of beast in the show...which is recurring, yeah, but it's not really important either.

Other than that, pretty great show. I wasn't amazed or anything, but I was never let down either. The first two episodes were pretty damn crazy, and when the show finally circles back to them, explaining the events in more detail and setting up the start of the manga...great stuff.

Of course, one could fault it for being as short as it is for what kind of story it's reaching at, but it is only trying to tell a small portion of it, the rest of which is in the manga, so I don't personally fault it much for that.

Character design's a bit meh, art's good all around though, solid enough animation. Sound design is not super memorable, but is more than satisfactory.

It's a pretty nihilistic series, it kind of hates all its characters, and there is no happy ending, but Kagura and Yomi keep the humanity in it alive, and such humanity (and that which threatens it) is more or less exactly where the strong emotional impact in the series comes from.

8/10. Great. But with flaws that keeps it far from ever approaching 9. If I could give a more precise number, it'd be more like 7.8.

Samus Aran

Finished Nisemonogatari. Overall, only slightly worse than Bakemono. Some things were better, some things were worse, it evens out to being pretty close to the same level of quality.

9/10. I will write more on this when I'm not so tired.

don't let's

Samus Aran

Finished Black Rock Shooter.

Man, I dunno, this show wasn't that good at all. I gave it a 7, and I'm wondering if maybe I'm being too generous there. I mean, the show is animated very, very well (though the "real world" character designs are pretty dumb and sometimes randomly poorly drawn)...the music's...fine? There's nothing wrong really with the concept of the story. And the story itself isn't necessarily bad so much as it's just sort of nonsensical...

But jesus fuck, could these girls be any more emotional? This show has the most overdramatic, permanently PMSing girls I've ever seen in an anime - a medium that very commonly features overdramatic females to begin with. The reasons for their pain are pretty stupid. I can understand throwing a little tantrum over feeling like you're the third wheel to your new best friend and her friend that was there before you...but cutting off your hair and screaming in the middle of class, only to go home and destroy your room?

And don't even get me started on that blonde bitch, serious issues there. Lmao.

The show just has very shitty characterization. You pretty much watch the show for the "other world" fight scenes, which are mostly beautifully done. And when the series gets into its last few episodes, and the connections are actually explained, then the show is better. And it's got a nice, strong ending.

...meh. Maybe I will change it to a 6. That 7 maybe really is too generous. But it certainly did pull itself out of mediocrity in the last two episodes...

Fuck, I can't decide.

Nyerp

"this show wasn't that good at all" sounds like a 4 or less to me goowan

Samus Aran

Quote from: Fuck on March 23, 2012, 02:02:12 AM
"this show wasn't that good at all" sounds like a 4 or less to me goowan

not THAT good implies that it's more good than bad, but not...well not THAT good. i figure that's pretty obvious lol.

4 is where "bad" starts - it can't be that. and 5 is just "average." while it certainly is a 5 in a couple episodes, it's not that overall.

i try to stick to MAL's descriptions of what their scores are when scoring.

Hiro

started watching Birdy the Mighty: Decode on Netflix right now. Just finished the first episode, so far it's pretty fun and I'm liking it quite a bit.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Cirno on March 23, 2012, 02:05:03 AM
not THAT good implies that it's more good than bad, but not...well not THAT good. i figure that's pretty obvious lol.

4 is where "bad" starts - it can't be that. and 5 is just "average." while it certainly is a 5 in a couple episodes, it's not that overall.

i try to stick to MAL's descriptions of what their scores are when scoring.
sounds like a six

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiroglyph on March 23, 2012, 02:07:27 AM
started watching Birdy the Mighty: Decode on Netflix right now. Just finished the first episode, so far it's pretty fun and I'm liking it quite a bit.

i've heard that the second season is actually a lot better than the first, so you have that to look forward to

Quote from: N o t S i d on March 23, 2012, 02:10:19 AM
sounds like a six

i know, i'm so torn  >_<'

Hiro

Quote from: Cirno on March 23, 2012, 02:12:32 AM
i've heard that the second season is actually a lot better than the first, so you have that to look forward to
there's some clunky animation in a few spots, so hopefully that's improved on

Go Up