April 17, 2024, 08:21:46 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

watched the k-on specials

the real special, the live house one, was quite good and might as well have just been another episode of the show

the ura-on specials were.........all right i guess awdood;

silvertone

don't let's

silvertone

Nyerp

Samus Aran

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: silvertone on August 12, 2011, 01:59:49 PM
Is there a Beatles anime???

mawaru penguindrum has a character named ringo n_n
although its more of a play on words since ringo means apple in japanese aaaand...

Nyerp

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on August 13, 2011, 05:40:04 PM
mawaru penguindrum has a character named ringo n_n
although its more of a play on words since ringo means apple in japanese aaaand...

goonish

silvertone

bluaki

I just finished Durarara
It at first seemed less interesting, but it picked up around the second half and turned out great giggle;

Nyerp

i just watched this:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6675/Redline

it was pretty fucking great

extremely good animation throughout the whole thing, and it was all just high-energy as hell

apparently it was incredibly hyped, and i think it lived up to that and more

thumbup; thumbup; thumbup;

Samus Aran

i put it on my "plan to watch"

anyway, almost done with fmp! second raid

don't let's

Quote from: bluika on August 14, 2011, 06:29:01 AM
I just finished Durarara
It at first seemed less interesting, but it picked up around the second half and turned out great giggle;
Did you use the AnCo² subs?

Quote from: Nyerp on August 14, 2011, 03:24:41 PM
i just watched this:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6675/Redline

it was pretty fucking great

extremely good animation throughout the whole thing, and it was all just high-energy as hell

apparently it was incredibly hyped, and i think it lived up to that and more

thumbup; thumbup; thumbup;
I just found out about this a couple days ago. I'm glad it sounds good.

Samus Aran

Just finished Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid.

It was fucking great. I really enjoyed the first season a lot back when I watched it like two years ago, but honestly, I like this more. TSR moves somewhat away from the many comedic moments that the first season featured.

After all, the original FMP was like 60% action/political intrigue/drama, 35% comedy, and just 5% romance.

TSR, on the other hand, is more like 80% action/political intrigue/drama, 10% romance, and 10% comedy. And that comedy element is largely the same as it was before...Sousuke being a military nutjob that is totally incompatible with high school life, and Chidori always there to react violently. But the romance is handled infinitely better, with one particularly intimate scene in mind. And the action? Blows the first season's out of the water completely.

This is partially helped by the fact that the animation quality is absolutely top-notch. Everything got a major update. Huge kudos to KyoAni for treating this franchise with care, as it wasn't theirs to begin with.

My only major complaint, I guess, is that while 13 is a good number of episodes for MOST animes, this show in particular feels a little rushed sometimes, especially the combat in that last episode. I was expecting some awesome showdown between Sousuke and the primary antagonist whose name escapes me, but it was just over so quick. I think 16 episodes or something would've been better. Oh well.

I guess one other little issue is that said main primary antagonist is simply not as interesting as Gauron from the first season. I mean, it's cool that he's unpredictable and a complete head case (episode 2 in particular has some real "black comedy" moments due to this), not to mention he's sadistic as fuck, but overall...eh.

There are a couple loose ends. I hope this means that there will be yet even more FMP! to come. But they're not such huge loose ends that it matters a whole lot if there never is more. If there is, I hope it'll be as good as this.

bluaki

I actually liked FMP:TSR a bit less than the first season.
My main complaint about it is that, near the end, Sousuke temporarily turns into an annoying, useless, unmotivated, and Shinji-like character giggle;
Quote from: Live‽ on August 14, 2011, 04:43:58 PM
Did you use the AnCo² subs?
Yes
Except for the episode 25/special. I didn't see any AnCo^2 for it, so I got Mazui.

Go Up