March 28, 2024, 01:15:57 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiro on May 20, 2020, 08:14:33 PMoh and naruto is probably the worst anime with any popularity i've ever seen

idk, as far as big shounen shows go, i think it's better than bleach or one piece lol

6M69I69B9

only episodes worth it are the ones in the sasuke retrieval arc
esp at the tail end of it when they're at the valley of the end

that animation is sick
has my utmost appreciation for choreography in animation overall and execution
music of choice was also great
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Samus Aran

i thought the show was pretty decent basically up until the giant filler chunk that makes up the last 90 episodes lmao

but at the end of the day it's just a shounen battle show, it's not gonna be that good. but there are much better shows of its ilk. dragon ball, jojo, hxh, fma, kenshin, bnha, etc. all much better

Samus Aran

Quote from: strongbad on May 20, 2020, 02:49:23 PMi started trigun recently. idk how it took me so long to get to this. pretty damn good

trigun fuckin rules. it does have this really jarring tonal shift once it starts focusing on knives, but other than that it's a fantastic show

Hiro

Quote from: Samus Aran on May 20, 2020, 09:54:57 PM
Quote from: Hiro on May 20, 2020, 08:14:33 PMoh and naruto is probably the worst anime with any popularity i've ever seen

idk, as far as big shounen shows go, i think it's better than bleach or one piece lol
i'd say bleach is only barely better than naruto, and one piece even though it's surely an immense amount of filler, I kind of respect for being as crazy long as it is  goowan

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiro on May 20, 2020, 10:06:02 PMand one piece even though it's surely an immense amount of filler, I kind of respect for being as crazy long as it is  goowan

actually, no lol. out of the 929 episodes of one piece that have aired thus far, only 11% of it is filler. either they started far enough behind the manga that they've never caught up, or they've just done a really good job pacing it. so there's rarely been a need for filler. granted, that's still over 100 filler episodes, but they're spread out in chunks that aren't too big.

i have no intention of ever putting forth any serious effort in watching one piece, though. it is simply too much. maybe i'll watch it once i've seen basically every other shounen already lol

Hiro

yeah that just makes me respect it more, but I never intend to watch a show that long
would certainly be better time spent than bleach and naruto together though

Samus Aran

rewatching chihayafuru is reminding me how much i appreciate shows where i genuinely love the characters and their drama so much that i tear up when they do

Samus Aran

Samus Aran

Quote from: Samus Aran on July 25, 2020, 04:32:44 PMman Diebuster blows compared to Gunbuster

episode 4 was so incredible though that i almost take this back

Samus Aran

July 31, 2020, 01:17:45 PM #2785 Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:24:18 PM by Samus Aran
review of Diebuster: first half is really only a visual spectacle, nothing all that special. second half fucking rules, and suddenly remembers its roots and kicks shit into high gear. 8/10

review of Given: somewhat boring but not bad at all. if gay romance is something you don't like at all then don't bother, but as a music show it's not that great either tbh. but none of it is bad, everything about it is solid (except the on-stage cg animation), i just expected more. high 6 to a low 7

Samus Aran

here's some shows i've finished recently

Interspecies Reviewers: monster girl titty show. there's not a ton of reason to watch this, it's just that when it started it was part of a lot of internet drama and memery because Funimation royally fucked up with it. basically they thought it would be less graphic than it was, so they dubbed the first episode, but realized by episode 2 how wrong they were and dropped it lmao. and there was an effort by people on MAL to mess with the score of the show by bombing it with 10/10s. weird times. as far as titty shows go it's actually pretty fun but it's not a good show really lol. i didnt actually get around to finishing it until way after it was relevant though. 4/10.

The Ancient Magus Bride: this show is like, actually beautiful. and i'm not just talking about the art and animation - while those are often top-tier as well, it's not consistent. it doesn't have a giant budget after all. though when the show hits in the art department, it really hits, and looks gorgeous. but i'm really talking about the whole package, including the setting, the music, and the general fantastical vibe the show has. it's unfortunately one of those shows that only gets a certain amount through the manga, though. so it doesn't really have a proper ending, and i am not sure it was "successful" enough to generate another adaptation (plus the manga is still publishing iirc). but i genuinely happily recommend this show to anyone, it's just genuinely great all around. sometimes lacking a bit, that's why i give it an 8 and not a 9 or 10. but still, great show.

Mouretsu Pirates: please ignore that the localized title is "Miniskirt Pirates." there is very little fanservice here. horny people look elsewhere. the show isn't that good really, but it's fairly solid i'd say. the show's concepts of "legal space piracy" are really flimsy, and the story is barely existent, with most things left unexplored...and it's a pretty flaccid show without a lot of depth. but it's not bad. pretty nice art, fun space battles, interesting characters. requires you to suspend your disbelief about the piloting/piracy abilities of high school girls, but what can you do? this is like a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Bartender: interesting episodic show about various customers at the bar and their lives/backstories, and how they relate to the perfect cocktail served to them. i do think that shows about the art and beauty of alcohol are kind of stupid, and this show definitely worships it to an annoying degree. but it's still a solid show and i really enjoyed the wide variety of personalities on display at the bar. major shout-out to the episode about the Hemingway Daiquiri and how a customer's life struggles were comparable to the plot of The Old Man in the Sea. the episodes are well-crafted. animation and art budget is nearly non-existent, but it's a slice-of-life show without a whole lot of movement to begin with, so its not a huge deal. low 7 or high 6.

Amaama to Inazuma (Sweetness and Lightning): cute, fun slice-of-life show about parenting and cooking. there isn't a whole lot to say honestly, it's just a fun time. some may find it a bit boring, but i think there's plenty to enjoy here. very wholesome show. and while there are other shows about cooking (and parenting), this is the only one i can think of that presents it realistically. this is like a better alternative to Usagi Drop. 8/10

Kachou Ouji (The Legend of Black Heaven): this show is just bizarre. it's basically a Macross-esque show about hard rock having the power to save the universe, but it's also more about the importance of not letting your dreams die, and not "settling" for a life that's dull and beneath you. and about nostalgia and its dangers. some might recognize a certain scene from it from Youtube, the "worst black guy in an anime dub" video. my main issue with this show is that it can't settle on a tone. is it goofy or is it serious? does the music matter or doesn't it? it's really unclear. the show is also very budgety, animation is very poor at times (especially for when instruments are being played). and there's literally one song that keeps getting played over and over and over (which is also the OP song). dont get me wrong, the song rules, but let's have some variety. strangely though i really enjoyed the crazy mess that is this show. this basically gets rounded up to a 7 on my MAL, but frankly only barely, it's like a 6.5-tier show.

Dorohedoro: this show fuckin rules. it so gleefully revels in its weirdness, its crazy visuals, and its unrelenting violence and gore. violence and gore that is, by all accounts, the norm in this world...so it's not considered very shocking by any of the characters. the show has two main problems. one is that it has no ending - it gets about 1/3 of the way through the manga, which is finished btw. so we'll probably get more seasons of this show. the other problem is that your mileage will vary with how much you like or dislike the use of CG in this show. it uses a blend of traditional animation and CG. personally, i think there are times where the CG doesn't work, and there are times where it works really well. this animation style, by MAPPA, is probably the best CG we've seen in anime like this so far...but is that saying much? oh well. it didn't bother me much, i still loved this. but i try to stay realistic, there's just not enough here for me to quite give this a 9, so i gave it an 8. it really does rule though, check it out if you want an utterly unique, bizarre show with a wildly interesting world and cast, and some great action too. i've decided to read through the manga after experiencing a taste of it via this anime.

Samus Aran

recently watched:

Tsuritama - wacky supernatural slice-of-life show that's both about fishing and aliens. vibrant and colorful, and it has some really charming characters, but that's kinda all this show has going for it. ironically i was hoping it'd spend more time reveling in explanations on the finer details of fishing. it's a pretty good show though. just not great.

Princess Principal - great show about spies, who are of course all girls, living and operating in a sort of alternate early 20th century past in this like steampunk version of the UK. it's also kinda gay. but not gay enough tbh. anyway it's really good. great visuals and music, op is definitely a banger. great characters. i liked the entire main cast a lot. this show kinda ends on a cliffhanger though, they're making a series of films that continues it.

Gatchaman Crowds - another great show. this is the first thing Gatchaman-related i've ever seen, though i'm fully aware it's very different from anything classic Gatchaman. very cool show. visual design is super good, very bright and colorful. the main character, Hajime, is so wonderful and she really elevates the show's themes of positivity about life, the power to do good that everyone has, and keeping in mind that everyone's life is more complicated than you may realize and that everyone deserves friends and second chances. also has some great messages about the power of social media as both a force for good and evil.

also i'm reading the romance manga Horimiya and it's really cute

6M69I69B9

man idk where i'd start going back into anime

anything as bomb as samurai champloo yn
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

silvertone

Go Up