April 24, 2024, 08:30:49 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

2001: A Space Oddyssey

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, October 27, 2010, 11:11:00 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

fuck yeah a pipe

Anyway, I watched this movie with a friend of mine last night.

Didn't care for it too much, it just seemed like a bunch of stylish shots of space and whatnot. I do believe that, of the films I've seen of Kubrick's, this film showcased his photographer background the most. This being said, the actual narrative doesn't start until HAL has mistaken that thing for being broken. That's when the film takes off.

I did research on the film before I watched it. (by "research, I mean Wikipedia'd it, because that's all I can do on my shitty phone) I expected it to be a bunch of stylized shots, but for me at least, it didn't work in the context of a film.

I didn't enjoy this film as much as Dr. Strangelove or Full Metal Jacket. I really wanted to love this film, but it didn't live up to the hype and for me, it just seemed like 45 minutes or so of actual movie juxtaposed to Kubrick fellating himself for the sake of impressive visuals.

Samus Aran

Yeah...I actually do like the film quite a bit, but I would never rave about it or anything, and I've always considered Full Metal Jacket to be Kubrick's best work by far.

Go Up