September 20, 2024, 04:47:29 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Right Left, Wrong Right

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, October 20, 2010, 10:31:54 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

On thursday night I was singing the pre-friday blues like a white college aged Son House and by nine o clock friday morning I was shedding my books in favor of a light jacked, a duffel bag and a nearly buoyant (not air headed) attitude.

See, we do this (slightly) annual trip up north to my friendâ,,,s fatherâ,,,s cabin/cottage thing which sits comfortably in the woods near nowhere.  Sometimes we go more than once and one year we didnâ,,,t go at all, but this year everyone came in from here and there to spend a weekend like we used to. These are the people that I can connect with and that I have known for longer than long. The in-crowd, even though some have fallen out.

The many hour trip up is full of traditional â,"howâ,,,s it goingâ, shit, but it isnâ,,,t full of the ugly insincerity that usually comes with those questions. Thereâ,,,s no need to feel like youâ,,,re tripping over toes or flying through hoops. It just is.

But enough of that.

We settled in friday night and played backgammon and drank and went through new music that someone just found and strummed the mandolins and everything else.

Saturday began much of the same way, (without the drive) and proceeded to follow the same pattern. It was good.

Now, with so many trees around and with yellow leaves all over the ground and with the most beautiful fucking day Iâ,,,ve seen in a while, I decided to take a hike to the creek.

There were no other takers, so I started beating a path towards the water by myself, which was alright by me. Iâ,,,d been in those woods so many times before, so I knew which way things went and which way things didnâ,,,t go.

-Walk straight until you hit the tree that looks like it was hit by lightning. -check
-Turn left at the big mossy rock-check
-Find the little division in the six foot high reeds and walk straight until you see light-check
-Donâ,,,t find the creek and realize you arenâ,,,t where youâ,,,re supposed to be- Triple check

I got lost.

My mind must have wandered too far and I apparently distracted myself into getting my sorry ass stuck in the middle of the northern end of bumfuck nowhere (the name of a future theme park that I intend to open).

Realizing I may have fucked up the course of the last mile or so, I naturally turned around and headed back through the reeds only to discover a swath of funky swampland. Thatâ,,,s not where I came from. It kind of reminded me of that one movie where the guy keeps turning around only to see new terrain and......something. You know which one. 
I found dry land that looked slightly familiar and started walking.

Thereâ,,,s something terribly overwhelming about the concept of being lost. Itâ,,,s a red hot flush of prickly panic that canâ,,,t help but scratch and burr at your head as it sloshes through your arteries. Itâ,,,s doubly so being on foot and alone in the middle of the woods with no compass or gear, which I only take on day trips or in places Iâ,,,m completely unfamiliar with.

My walking was proving fruitless. Iâ,,,d been out two hours already and my quiet steady resolve was turning into a madmanâ,,,s hallucination which included bear attacks and crazy wood people chewing my skin into leather for their boots and christmas ornaments. Iâ,,,d never felt so.......helpless?

At two and a half hours I found a road. It was another worn and decrepit logging road that looked identical to the hundreds of others running through those parts, but it was a start. It was a relief, if only a short lived one. So I picked what I thought was the right direction and went the opposite way. It was worth a shot.

I started musing over how stupid I was as to get into the predicament in the first place and how I pretty much deserved to be stuck out here when I reached a clearing on the side of the road. It was a remnant of an earlier logging campaign and was now slightly overgrown. The trees around the outer circle were fiery orange and the light that bled down was the same color. It was a  cathedral. Standing in the middle, I was surrounded by this orange aura that moved in waves with a sight breeze. It was comparable to water reflections on pavement, except more colorful and with no water.

So I sat down and chilled there for a while, forgetting my stupid issue and remembering the now crushed granola bar in my coat pocket. Thatâ,,,s how that went. Leaves would come down in heavy washes every time a moderate amount of wind would hit the canopies. In a day, this whole clearing would be bare.

I moved on a little reluctantly, but ready to ramble back to the campfire and the alcohol. I continued to move down the logging road until I saw a road sign. Apparently I had just bumped into the intersection for the road to the cottage. I took a right and a mile later I was back with an almost-story to tell.

I kept the bit about the clearing to myself though.

Always bring a compass, a camera and a bear/wood people defense knife with you. Thereâ,,,s a lesson around every

Tree.

ikanaide

I love you  n_n

Quote from: Fandango on October 20, 2010, 10:31:54 AM
stuck in the middle of the northern end of bumfuck nowhere (the name of a future theme park that I intend to open).

n_u

Was being lost better than finding the way? It sounded like a good adventure ^_^

Nyerp

imo that was a cool and intersting story adn i respect your opinoion

Hiro

God damn you better become a professional writer, your work is fantastic.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Admin on October 20, 2010, 12:28:55 PM
God damn you better become a professional writer, your work is fantastic.

I'm not sure that would work too well.

FAMY2

I love the stories you tell. I can relate to quite a few of them.

Now can you sing as good as you write? I want to hear.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: FAMY2 on October 20, 2010, 06:13:11 PM
I love the stories you tell. I can relate to quite a few of them.

Now can you sing as good as you write? I want to hear.

Depends on what you call "singing".  Q('_' Q)

FAMY2

Quote from: Fandango on October 21, 2010, 12:27:58 PM
Depends on what you call "singing".  Q('_' Q)

Anything. What you feel comfortable singing.  giggle;

Socks

Quote from: FAMY2 on October 21, 2010, 01:52:22 PM
Anything. What you feel comfortable singing.  giggle;

sounds like you're singing extortion.

FAMY2

Socks

Quote from: FAMY2 on October 21, 2010, 03:57:38 PM
SING FOR ME SOCKS.    giggle;

i sing for you always and always i sing alone.  :(

FAMY2

Quote from: Socks on October 21, 2010, 04:04:46 PM
i sing for you always and always i sing alone.  :(

That is one memory that will never die, unlike flowers.   giggle;

Travis

what the fuck how was i misreading the title as "Right wing, wrong wing" until now  doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh; doodhuh;

FAMY2

Quote from: FAMY2 on October 21, 2010, 04:07:25 PM
That is fuck memory that will never die, unlike flowers.   giggle;

OH MY GOD.    n_u

Go Up