May 06, 2024, 01:22:48 PM

1,531,623 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Windows 7 Starter

Started by Hiro, September 10, 2010, 01:07:14 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

So I have this netbook that I'm currently using, and love quite a bit. It really is a great little machine with one big issue: it has Windows 7 Starter on it. This is the version of Win7 exclusive to netbooks, and is intentionally crippled for no reason. Even though this machine can handle it, there is no Aero on here. Even worse, you can't even change the window color like you could in XP, transparency aside. But even worse than that is this little tidbit: YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE FUCKING WALLPAPER.
Now there are many other little features removed from this version, but those are the most noticeable.
Now the question is: Should I upgrade to Windows 7 Professional? It costs only $30 with my student discount. Most of the things that bother me on this are cosmetic, but they still bother me. Is it worth the upgrade? Do you think it would run slower than Starter?

Daddy

but windows is cool there are so many versions that limit different things. it gives you choice

?????

Quote from: Khadafi on September 11, 2010, 10:51:22 AM
but windows is cool there are so many versions that limit different things. it gives you choice
Not the bad kind of choice like with Linux either. This is the good kind of choice. The kind of choice that makes you think, "damn, that was a great decision."

By the way since it is a netbook why not run Ubuntu on it instead of Windows 7?

Do you need Windows for something? Like a Zune or iPod? Or certain programs for school? If not, go ahead and use Ubuntu since it will run faster :O
Die for Dethklok

Hiro

Quote from: TheSequel on September 14, 2010, 09:34:18 PM
Not the bad kind of choice like with Linux either. This is the good kind of choice. The kind of choice that makes you think, "damn, that was a great decision."

Do you need Windows for something? Like a Zune or iPod? Or certain programs for school? If not, go ahead and use Ubuntu since it will run faster :O
i tried it but ubuntu freezes every time at the login screen.

strongbad

Quote from: Hïro on September 14, 2010, 10:58:26 PM
i tried it but ubuntu freezes every time at the login screen.

try linux mint giggle;

Hiro

Quote from: Strongbob on September 15, 2010, 01:49:59 AM
try linux mint giggle;
maybe, but i don't really like the interface on it  akudood;

Daddy

Quote from: TheSequel on September 14, 2010, 09:34:18 PM

you dont need windows for an ipod since amarok and mplayer can manage it

zune requires windows but the many different versions give you freedom and choice

Hiro

Quote from: Khadafi on September 15, 2010, 04:46:07 AM

zune requires windows but the many different versions give you freedom and choice
i have a desktop with the proper version of win 7 for my zune

musica.cards

[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

?????

Quote from: Khadafi on September 15, 2010, 04:46:07 AM
It depends on which iPod he has. Unless they've gotten the Touch and the Phone working by now. I think you might be able to do it if it's jailbroken.
Die for Dethklok

ikanaide

a netbook in general has low RAM so I think that it will run slower. But not that you will notice so I think that upgrade would be good. And you get dis count ^_^

Hiro

Quote from: IKANAIDE on September 30, 2010, 09:08:33 AM
a netbook in general has low RAM so I think that it will run slower. But not that you will notice so I think that upgrade would be good. And you get dis count ^_^
I upgraded the RAM on it to 2GB so it runs quite well.
I'm going to upgrade it when I get some money.

Go Up