March 28, 2024, 06:19:07 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Welcome to the isolation generation

Started by BlackDS, August 21, 2010, 01:48:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BlackDS

I feel like the newest generation of kids (me), are not really behaving like children. Now, anything can be done on a cell phone or over the internet, and younger children spend all day every day playing videogames and watching TV, when they should be outside playing with a group of friends, making memories, and having fun. However I do not think it is the child's fault, or the technology's fault. I believe it is the fault of solely the parents. Sure, it is still hard to raise a child in the current environment, with their minds being brainwashed by advertisements for the newest shiniest toy, and later on in life, the need for the newest clothes and the smartest phone to be popular and "cool". I dont know, I just feel like the whole capitalist machine of America and Europe is not right, like it is heavily flawed.
Does anyone else feel like this or am i just a rambling idiot?

[move]philip;[/move]

??????

Samus Aran

It's a little silly to blame the parents entirely, if you ask me. I don't know about everyone else, but when I was, say...about 10 years old, I had a mind of my own. I made the choice to stay in my room instead of going outside. Kids can think for themselves given the opportunity.

Obviously the parents are still at fault, but not completely.

And yes, this generation has been described this way for a long time now. I think we've gotten over the hump where we decided that this generation relies too much on communication through technology and such. Not that we're really doing anything about it, but still. Rest assured you're not anywhere near alone in your feelings, especially since it's so obvious when we see it happening all around us every day.

Selkie

It's not the parent's fault, or the kid's fault, it's just society as a whole's fault.

Everyone can't just completely disconnect themself from all the societal norms and technology like Chris Mccandless or Thoreau. Especially when the things that are ruining society are so totally ingrained into it.

It does make me sick to my stomach though when I see a little 12 year old with a cellphone texting nonstop. Or a couple eating at the restaurant both completely involved in their texting and oblivious to each other. Or half the people I pass on the highway with a phone in their hands. Or people caring more about lindsay lohan's incarceration than someone like Leonard Peltier. Or the fact that the same people who supported the death of over 4,000 Americans to help a country of people, are now protesting the creation of a place of worship for those same type of people. Or when I hear people say things like "you're a pussy" when someone expresses a care for the environment.

rdl

One time this family friend came over, and neither of us really like each other, so he just spent the whole time texting his friends who went to go see Harold and Kumar, which is apparently the bestest movie ever. Since I had no phone I just mostly sat there talking with him on and off about some movie I'd never really heard of.

I wouldn't say we're "isolated", some college study I read once described our generation as being very self centered. Never before has a group of kids had the option to create something like a facebook, where you upload entire albums of silly faces you made with your friends, or twitter, where you post mostly insignificant comments that (depending on how cool you are), thousands of people read and reply back to. How many of your facebooks friends do you actually know well? I'm getting friend requests from people whom I get along with, but don't exactly bond with or hang out with. So, how are we friends? We're not, they're just trying to boost that little number in the bottom left corner.

Ehh

Quote from: Lain on August 21, 2010, 05:09:32 PM
It's a little silly to blame the parents entirely, if you ask me. I don't know about everyone else, but when I was, say...about 10 years old, I had a mind of my own. I made the choice to stay in my room instead of going outside. Kids can think for themselves given the opportunity.

I completely agree with that, i remember being about 10 or 11 and i made the decision to go outside and play wiffleball with my cousins over staying inside and playing sega. Also if parents don't use technology as a way to bribe their kids into behaving better they will make better lifestyle choices. ( hope i worded that how it sounded in my head)

My being a lifeguard i actually had a kid who just to float on his own (with out any help from me) his mom offered to buy him a DSI and 10 new ds games, even then he knew he could get more and refused. So she offered to take him to mcdonalds and then get ice cream later that day. He THEN finally floated on his own, its sad when kids can knowingly manipulate thier parents.

If that had been my child i would've had him come to me and i would've thrown him into the pool and told him either to float or sink. (this was basically the way i was raised)

The WORST part is i knew that the child could and had before floated on his own and he was simply putting on a show to get material items out of his mom.

Go Up