April 19, 2024, 06:07:34 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I've had about enough of this...

Started by Classic, July 28, 2010, 02:21:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Classic

It's been discussed time and time again on the serious board, but I've favorited the Human Rights Campaign and several other gay-advocacy pages on Facebook.

So today, while checking my Facebook, I notice within the same hour that several of my pages are broadcasting about the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) is up to some sneaky no-good business, spending tons of money to ensure equality is not enforced.

http://www.hrcbackstory.org/2010/07/hrc-to...ians-this-time/
Quote from:  Human Rights Campaign backstoryAccording to a media advisory from the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles, the National Organization for Marriage is involved in a $1 million independent expenditure campaign to support Carly Fiorina for Senate, a candidate they point out opposes marriage equality.  Today, HRC called on NOM â,“ which has a long history of trying to hide political contributions â,“ to disclose how much theyâ,,,re contributing to this effort.  As the LA Times points out in reporting on the new campaign, â,"finding out where the money comes from â,“ if and when it actually does come â,“ is virtually impossible.â,

NOM has a history of trying to evade long-established public disclosure laws and to hide their political activities from legitimate scrutiny and accountability. In doing so, they have falsely alleged that their donors have been harassed and intimidated across the country to justify why it shouldnâ,,,t have to play by the same rules as everyone else. These tactics have prompted a state ethics investigation in Maine and recent court defeats across the country.  In Washington state, NOMâ,,,s lawyers fought the stateâ,,,s public records law all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court â,“ and lost last month. A federal court in California similarly rejected NOMâ,,,s efforts to hide its donors and debunked its claims of harassment and intimidation in the wake of Proposition 8.

As HRC Vice President for Communications and Marketing Fred Sainz said: â,"Like a broken record, NOM is again involved in a campaign with an anti-LGBT message yet the public has no idea how deep theyâ,,,re reaching into their coffers. Apparently they have some gas money left from their sham summer tour to once again flood the airwaves with lies about same-dinosaurs in the room couples who only seek the same rights as everyone else. While the stated intent of this independent expenditure is to support Carly Fiorina, clearly NOM wants to poison the well around the marriage debate in California. With polls showing movement towards equality for all families, they see the writing on the wall and will stop at nothing to turn the clock backwards.â,

The quote is from the above posted link.

Not only that.
On another fanpage, the fans were shown what the NOM protesters held in hand during a demonstration.

...it's disgusting. How could people be so hateful? They don't know me or any other gay person. They see us for what we are and not who we are. I'm so sick of being treated like garbage. We're human beings too. We don't deserve to die or be exploited. We deserve every right anyone else has.

I'm fed up with this. Between Arizona and every other hate campaign, I'm getting very close to saying "Fuck America." I've yet to see this "Land of the free".

applesauce

:(

Anti GLBT rights people anger me somewhat. They mostly just puzzle me with their religion and logic failing. I would probably be very much angered if I were more personally effected.

I have to say, though, that liberals are just as dickish and close minded as conservatives.

Samus Aran

The people who made that sign apparently don't even understand the quote they put on the sign, because that's not what "death" means in that context. I hate people like that so much. They're just using religion as an excuse to express their own hatred.

Selkie

It's sad how many people have so little empathy these days.

And it's even worse when they use religion to justify themselves, because religious people always use the argument of "well, without religion where do we get our morals?". Then the same people express a complete lack of morals with things like that sign.

Daddy

Quote from: Lain on July 28, 2010, 04:31:14 PM
The people who made that sign apparently don't even understand the quote they put on the sign, because that's not what "death" means in that context. I hate people like that so much. They're just using religion as an excuse to express their own hatred.
The bible has the massacre of those who oppose the israelites.

It has the slaughter of children for mocking Elisha for being bald.

God killed Lot's wife for looking back at her home being destroyed

Jesus was somewhat racist, in comparing Canaanites to dogs when a woman asked him for help.

The bible supports stoning to death people who entice others not to follow god.

Apologetics for "death doesn't mean that, it means the other death. those aren't real christians who use the bible to support their hatred there is no hatred there" are retarded and only allow such to continue.

rdl

Quote from: Lain on July 28, 2010, 04:31:14 PM
Well, while I usually respect people's rights to believe whatever, what else would "death" mean in that context? Did Jesus say this during a certain situation, in which we'd need to know the context?

Minus;

Hmm this angers me as well...I don't like to think about this stuff. I get upset.

Samus Aran

July 28, 2010, 09:38:37 PM #7 Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:46:05 PM by Lain
Quote from: FDR on July 28, 2010, 07:35:29 PM
Well, while I usually respect people's rights to believe whatever, what else would "death" mean in that context? Did Jesus say this during a certain situation, in which we'd need to know the context?

Actually, I have to correct myself a bit. I didn't really pay attention to which book it's from. Leviticus is in the Old Testament, meaning that what I was referring to might not actually have been the case. I was thinking of what the case usually is in the New Testament: "life" meaning Heaven and "death" meaning Hell, as per the teachings of Jesus. So that passage might be literal. I don't know the Old Testament too well though so I may be incorrectly second-guessing myself.

Edit: from asking someone who knows a lot better than I do, I gather that Leviticus has a lot more to do with Hebrew law at the time than it does with anything modern-day. So it's still pretty much wrong for Christians to use it as an excuse to base their hate on, because it's a law that has nothing to do with Christianity, and especially not, obviously, modern law.

Quote from: Khadafi on July 28, 2010, 06:19:59 PM
Apologetics for "death doesn't mean that, it means the other death. those aren't real christians who use the bible to support their hatred there is no hatred there" are retarded and only allow such to continue.

I'm just saying I don't like it and that I wish people wouldn't have so much hatred and then go and base it on religion. Honestly, as far as my personal understanding goes, the New Testament (the one that is actually completely applicable to modern day Christian teachings unless they're some weird denomination) teaches a great deal more peace and love than it does hate. Love your enemies, if they strike your cheek, give them your other cheek to strike as well, etc. etc.

I'm not saying that the community is nothing but love - far from it, sadly. I know it's mostly a bunch of goddamn lunatics like the ones who made that sign, or even worse in some cases, extremely passive-aggressive haters. I just feel that if they were all "doing it right" so to speak, following the New Testament as it's written, then there'd be a lot less hate in Christians. And sure, I'd love for those "apologetics" to kick the asses of the ones spewing all the hate, but it might as well be the common people doing so instead sooner rather than waiting.

Unfortunately the world is full of assholes, one way or the other. But oh well.

Daddy

Quote from: Lain on July 28, 2010, 09:38:37 PM

I'm just saying I don't like it and that I wish people wouldn't have so much hatred and then go and base it on religion. Honestly, as far as my personal understanding goes, the New Testament (the one that is actually completely applicable to modern day Christian teachings unless they're some weird denomination) teaches a great deal more peace and love than it does hate. Love your enemies, if they strike your cheek, give them your other cheek to strike as well, etc. etc.
The New Testament is also the basis for the Christian idea of Hell and eternal suffering.

Notice how such an idea is not as prevalent in Judaism.

It's not "love" when refusal to comply leads to eternal suffering. Would you argue that it's love when a man treats his wife wonderfully when she cooks for him and has sex when he asks but if she says no he beats her?

YPrrrr

Quote from: Khadafi on July 28, 2010, 06:19:59 PM
Jesus was somewhat racist, in comparing Canaanites to dogs when a woman asked him for help.

If I'm thinking of the right thing Jesus was talking from the perspective of an Israelite... like why would a Canaanite expect help from an Israelite who generally look down upon them

YPrrrr

Quote from: Khadafi on July 28, 2010, 10:21:56 PM
The New Testament is also the basis for the Christian idea of Hell and eternal suffering.

Notice how such an idea is not as prevalent in Judaism.

It's not "love" when refusal to comply leads to eternal suffering. Would you argue that it's love when a man treats his wife wonderfully when she cooks for him and has sex when he asks but if she says no he beats her?
At the same time when misdeeds go unpunished there isn't really incentive to avoid them is there? Not applying that to any particular action, just in general there needs to be some sort of enforcement otherwise people would cheat... it's why international organizations never get anything done; because the rewards from defecting from the rules is often greater than any penalty

the shortest route to the sea

The greatest thing you will ever learn, is just to love, and be loved in return.
And hopefully the rest will follow.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

rdl

Quote from: Sheets are Swaying on July 29, 2010, 09:14:05 AM
The greatest thing you will ever learn, is just to love, and be loved in return.
i think life is a little more complicated than that

??????

Quote from: FDR on July 29, 2010, 01:55:16 PM
i think life is a little more complicated than that
u just have 2 luv, man
maaaaaaaaaaaaan

Anyways, achieving basic simplicity in a man's life is incredibly difficult.

Daddy

Quote from: Sheets are Swaying on July 29, 2010, 09:14:05 AM
What about the concept of unrequited love?
Quote from: YPR on July 28, 2010, 11:59:16 PM
At the same time when misdeeds go unpunished there isn't really incentive to avoid them is there? Not applying that to any particular action, just in general there needs to be some sort of enforcement otherwise people would cheat... it's why international organizations never get anything done; because the rewards from defecting from the rules is often greater than any penalty
When not accepting Christ is a misdeed that isn't love.

Go Up