June 05, 2024, 12:46:51 AM

1,531,631 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

i got a laptop for college

Started by LCK, June 25, 2010, 07:19:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

LCK

so the college i'm attending requires that we have laptops for academic reasons, i suppose, and they provide us with the laptops.

We were given 2 choices;
HP Elitebook 8440p
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-3955549-4095872.html

In particular, the model with the i7 620m and 4gbs or ram, and a 320gb hard drive, and a dedicated gpu.

OR

13" Macbook Pro

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

A core2duo, significantly smaller hard drive, integrated graphics, same amount of ram, same speed ram.

I was fully intent on getting the Macbook pro, until these specifications were dawned upon me. I couldn't possibly pick a core2duo system over an i7 system with a dedicated gpu.

The whole downside to this is that we're not allowed to make any hardware alterations whatsoever ;-;
Technically, though, I don't own it. I'm just "leasing" it for the next 2 years, and after that this will be given back to the school and traded for a more up-to-date system. The cool thing is that I'm able to switch it up at that time and go with the Macbook pro if I choose, so maybe I'll give that a shot for the hell of it.

snorkel

yeah I would take the i7 and dedicated graphics too. I'm getting the 2.66ghz 15" MBP this summer

Daddy

How do they deal with the computer breaking?

i'd be wary of the HP doing such.

LCK

If there's some sort of malfunction that's beyond our control, we take it into the Tech department, and if they can't fix it in under an hour they just give us another laptop until they can fix it. So we're strongly encouraged to back up any data, which I do anyway so cool.

If it's actually destroyed, we pay $500 and get a new one, which is actually not too bad considering they're about $1000 laptops.
I'm intending on getting a job as one of the technicians actually.

Daddy

We can be in the brotherhood of college laptop technicians omg

?????

You should totally install backtrack on a separate partition on that shit and brute force networks. Great idea, right?
Die for Dethklok

Samus Aran

HP? smithicide;

it has nice specs though so whatever

ikanaide

Do not buy HP. Do not be fool for it's nice specs. HP breaks very fast.

Minus;

Quote from: IKANAIDE on October 06, 2010, 07:51:30 AM

akudood; I have an HP and it is built very very well.

LCK

Quote from: Lain on October 06, 2010, 05:56:30 AM
HP? smithicide;

it has nice specs though so whatever

Quote from: IKANAIDE on October 06, 2010, 07:51:30 AM

we're only given two choices through the school

the hp with an i7 and dedicated graphics

or a macbook pro with a core 2 duo and integrated graphics

if pretty much all problems will be taken care of by the school, why not get the HP?

Samus Aran

i just personally really dislike HP and have had countless problems with them, but i mean if your school will fix/replace them for free then by all means get the HP

ikanaide

Quote from: Lain on October 06, 2010, 12:13:44 PM
i just personally really dislike HP and have had countless problems with them, but i mean if your school will fix/replace them for free then by all means get the HP

I have had bad problems with HP aswell.

?????

I've never had problems with a company. Except for Netgear and their stupid router requiring a hard reset for some crazy reason. That was only once though.

What problems have you guys had with HP?
Die for Dethklok

ikanaide

Quote from: TheSequel on October 06, 2010, 05:06:29 PM
I've never had problems with a company. Except for Netgear and their stupid router requiring a hard reset for some crazy reason. That was only once though.

What problems have you guys had with HP?

Overheating is main problem. Also break fast and much loading problem.

Minus;

Quote from: IKANAIDE on October 07, 2010, 08:06:07 AM
Overheating is main problem. Also break fast and much loading problem.

I don't know if HP has gotten better about that, but my laptop doesn't overheat at all. And the laptop is all aluminum and feels pretty damn solid. It has no loading problems, and I like everything about it except for all the stupid programs hp puts on them when they ship them but i took those off.

This is the best laptop i've ever had. Dells suck mother fucking ass. I hate dell.
But this HP is awesome<3 the only time it ever slightly overheats is when i try to run a linux distro because i have hybrid graphics integrated intel graphics and discreet 1 gb ati radeon gpu that are switchable, and linux can't switch them so instead it just runs them both at the same time.  akudood; it overheats slightly when I do that but not at all a lot, the dell i had had overheating problems. But this one is really good about that. Good cooling, and its very quiet as well. Overall very satisfied with my buy. It was this or Asus, glad I went with this one though.

Go Up