I've discovered a major reason why I hate religion

Started by Selkie, June 02, 2010, 06:32:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

rdl

Oh, I missed the point of JMV's post.

If you kill yourself you get stuck in hell anyway no matter who you were or what you were.

Selkie

Quote from: YPR on June 02, 2010, 09:31:21 PM
Does a limited time in hell really seem that much more appealing

kind of...

When you really think about it, mathematically, a trillion years is still infinitely better than eternal suffering.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Selkie on June 02, 2010, 09:47:37 PM
kind of...

When you really think about it, mathematically, a trillion years is still infinitely better than eternal suffering.
Yes, but is it better than whatever suffering you may encounter on earth which is over in a mere oh let's say 80 years

??????

Quote from: FDR on June 02, 2010, 09:37:44 PM
Oh, I missed the point of JMV's post.

If you kill yourself you get stuck in hell anyway no matter who you were or what you were.
what if i killed myself to save a bus full of christian children and lovable puppies because the serial killer is easily triggered by my movements

Daddy

And by doing nothing to stop hos death is christ not indirectly responsible for his own death?

Socks

YPrrrr

Quote from: Khadafi on June 03, 2010, 05:15:43 AM
And by doing nothing to stop hos death is christ not indirectly responsible for his own death?
Yes? I don't see how that's comparable to suicide at all unless you'd consider anyone given a death sentence to be committing suicide

Thyme

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on June 03, 2010, 03:46:20 AM
what if i killed myself to save a bus full of christian children and lovable puppies because the serial killer is easily triggered by my movements

then that would be a sacrifice

I'm pretty sure sacrifice is held in high esteem inside the Christian doctrine, but I'm not too sure. I mean, there's this one very important Christian figure who sacrificed himself for humanity, I can't seem to remember his name. befuddlement

Daddy

Would that mean if you believed ending your life would better humanity suicide would be alright?

Thyme

Quote from: Khadafi on June 03, 2010, 05:58:18 PM
Would that mean if you believed ending your life would better humanity suicide would be alright?

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on June 02, 2010, 08:32:18 PM
I DUNNO LOL
i am not a christian   bassir;

YPrrrr

Quote from: Khadafi on June 03, 2010, 05:58:18 PM
Nope, how would one even have proof of that? In the examples of sacrifice (Jesus, clucky on a bus) neither of them directly killed themselves either.

Also I misspoke earlier... I'm only speaking from a Catholic perspective, some liberal protestant Churches view it as forgivable

Daddy

Quote from: YPR on June 03, 2010, 08:37:51 PM
Nope, how would one even have proof of that?
in a thread about god i need no proof

YPrrrr

Quote from: Khadafi on June 03, 2010, 10:24:08 PM
in a thread about god i need no proof
You need a reason as to why the world would be better off without your hypothetical man. Don't make me get Clarence on his ass akudood;

spaceman

June 04, 2010, 09:34:01 PM #28 Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:55:09 PM by fluxus
Main reason I don't like religion is that it teaches people to be okay with and non-questioning of the universe around us. I believe I may be subconsciously paraphrasing a Richard Dawkins quote, as cliché as that is. Will post it back here later if I find it.

edit: oh hey

"As a scientist, I am hostile to fundamentalist religion because it actively debauches the scientific enterprise. It teaches us not to change our minds, and not to want to know exciting things that are available to be known. It subverts science and saps the intellect."

??????

Quote from: Thyme on June 03, 2010, 09:38:06 AM
then that would be a sacrifice

I'm pretty sure sacrifice is held in high esteem inside the Christian doctrine, but I'm not too sure. I mean, there's this one very important Christian figure who sacrificed himself for humanity, I can't seem to remember his name. befuddlement
would it really be sacrifice if my original intent was suicide (I didn't care about the children, but the opportunity was presented so hey)  :3

Go Up