April 16, 2024, 08:01:26 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Yo what's a good windows laptop

Started by strongbad, June 02, 2010, 05:18:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Okay guys I've done some narrowing, and it's between these two:
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668643.php

and

http://www.amazon.com/N61JV-X2-16-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B00352LQYO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

They both seem pretty much the same in terms of specs (the gateway is smaller, which is a plus), but I think that the asus has a better graphics card. What do you guys think?

LCK

strongbad

Quote from: Trevor on June 18, 2010, 11:10:39 AM
Definitely the ASUS.

Whoa really? I've been doing a lot of research, and from what I've seen, the gateway is winning.
Graphics wise, the Gateway with the ATI:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5650.23697.0.html
and the Asus with the Nvidia:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-325M.24062.0.html

The only pluses for the Asus are that the harddrive is at 7200rpm as opposed to 5400rpm, and it has USB 3.0. Asus is also known to be way more reliable, but I'm not going to worry about that now.

The gateway is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and from my understanding, wins in the graphics department.

LCK

I apparently didn't pay attention to those links too thoroughly. I was under the impression the ASUS had the ATI GPU.   Hence my immediate ASUS recommendation. I find Nvidia to be disgusting.
Although I consider ASUS a better brand to purchase, the specs of the Gateway are pretty decent for only $800 especially with the 5650.

Daddy

Gateways are pieces of shit lol

Get the asus

strongbad

God damn i am so fucking conflicted now
Reliable but slightly worse
Slightly better but slightly less reliable
ahhhh

?????

What are you going to be using your laptop for that makes the GPU so important?
Die for Dethklok

Daddy

Gaming on a laptop is fucking retarded.

At least when the games are enough to require a GPU. The heat extra heat and whatnot from the GPU isn't really spectacular for your mobo since everything is packed so tight.

fuck a gpu, and if you want to do gaming just build a cheap desktop and get a laptop without a stellar gpu. maybe a small one 128 or 256mb is fine for most shit, if you want something with 512 or 1gb just use a desktop for gaming.

strongbad

I just want to be able to play TF2 and Civilization and shit. I don't want to buy a desktop at all. All I want to worry about is my laptop. And I think I'll go with the Asus.

strongbad

http://www.amazon.com/N61JQ-X1-16-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B00352LQZS/ref=cm_cr_dp_orig_subj
Okay just ordered this asus
It comes with a windows 7 install disc. Should I go for a clean install when I get it?

?????

I don't think it really matters. Unless you want to get rid of bloatware. But maybe that disc has it on there :O
Die for Dethklok

strongbad

So I got my laptop today (:)) and it is pretty fucking awesome, but it has a shit ton of bloatware and a weird ass partition that is used for some backup software as you can see here:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
So I downloaded a retail Win 7 disc and I could use the key that is on the bottom of my laptop to do a clean install. Do you think it's worth it?

LCK

Basically, one partition is for the OS and possibly some programs, and the other is for other things such as music, videos, and other files you would like to keep.  Probably some programs too. So if reinstalling Windows were a necessity, you could wipe the C drive and reinstall without having to worry about backing up your other files.

Volvagia

Quote from: Strongbab on June 30, 2010, 07:31:32 PM
So I got my laptop today (:)) and it is pretty fucking awesome, but it has a shit ton of bloatware and a weird ass partition that is used for some backup software as you can see here:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
So I downloaded a retail Win 7 disc and I could use the key that is on the bottom of my laptop to do a clean install. Do you think it's worth it?

That drive is incredibly small for the price you paid. Normally for that price you'd get around 500-750gb. I never looked at the other specs other than your processor though, i7, so I'm presuming it's good on all other ends as the processor is good regardless of the hard-drive, (i'm too tired to read over the specs right now, I'll do it later when you respond.)

I mentioned in your other thread about downloading windows 7 installation cds being illegal on how you have to activate your product if it's pre-built, which it is in this case.

See my other post. :)

strongbad

Quote from: Volvagia on July 01, 2010, 07:41:56 AM
That drive is incredibly small for the price you paid. Normally for that price you'd get around 500-750gb. I never looked at the other specs other than your processor though, i7, so I'm presuming it's good on all other ends as the processor is good regardless of the hard-drive, (i'm too tired to read over the specs right now, I'll do it later when you respond.)

I mentioned in your other thread about downloading windows 7 installation cds being illegal on how you have to activate your product if it's pre-built, which it is in this case.

See my other post. :)

Yeah the small hard drive isn't too big of an issue to me, but yeah all of the other specs are pretty great. And I'll just reply to both of your posts here.
Thanks for all of that info! That would have taken forever to figure out myself. For now I just deleted and merged the extra partition with my OS partition, but maybe I'll reinstall Win 7 down the road, since that sounds like a huge hassle.

Go Up