March 28, 2024, 08:57:07 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

What are you doing with your life

Started by strongbad, May 23, 2010, 01:59:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Quote from: JohnnyRingo2 on October 15, 2020, 10:49:03 AMTaking a role as a Housekeeping Supervisor in Wyoming. I'm in a California park now, and my role as Front Desk Supervisor was eliminated due to COVID. I'm hoping to continue building my resume in hotels and parks until eventually I can become a Hotel Manager at Crater Lake. I was an Assistant Manager prior, and am trying to regain that fine balance between power and freedom.

Outside of work, taking seasonal jobs across the country to see more of the US and hike in more places. I use the National Parks I live in a a springboard to explore the surrounding states. I started collecting animal bones back in Utah and making them into things, so trying to get better at that. My family asks when I'm going to settle down, and I think they're starting to worry I won't. The most frustrating thing about it is that I love this and explaining it to other people only gets indirect questions towards the things that they perceive I don't have. If I tell people that I plan on remaining single I get these responses like "That's very brave of you." and "I'm glad you've made peace with that" like I'm terminally ill. If I tell them I don't plan on becoming a Director or General Manager, there's this assumption that I'm not ambitious enough. I have built my life to this exact end, engineered it to the best of my ability, and they're complaining about the aesthetic. 

Two of my players from the D&D campaign I DM'ed are getting married in October. I'm going to drive back out to Kentucky and visit them and run the gauntlet of old friends. Two of my friends here are going to piggyback with me on a roadtrip as I drop them off at their respective homes. Overall, I live a good life. I think I'll continue park hopping for a bit before bidding for another salary position. Eventually, I'd like to buy land out in the woods near a wilderness area. I'll hang birdhouses made of animal bones around a wilderness shrine to Hecate, where screaming fowl of every creed will nestle in the hollowed ribs of dead deer. I'll have a rustic cabin heated by an iron stove and I'll explore the woods in my free time. I think I'd like that.
Very cool. You're just getting boomer reactions lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ?????? on May 30, 2010, 06:08:54 AM
Quote from: Socks on May 29, 2010, 08:05:40 PMOh I don't think so. Also, you wont really be 'alone'. ;)
Are you going to euthanize me?  cjlubdoods;
Use the nitrogen bags, they work best!

This is what the C*nadaisn ACTUALLY believe.

Go Up