September 25, 2024, 08:16:02 AM

1,531,321 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Heading that way

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, May 22, 2010, 09:07:35 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I had purchased a netbook last fall as a standalone replacement to my former laptop. It worked fine for the light internet use and typing up text docs for class (forgetting about the considerable eye strain though).  The last week I noticed some slowdown and some shoddy performance and naturally thought a virus was ravaging my system. Nope. But my hard drive failed.  Hp has a year long extended warranty, blah blah, and Iâ,,,ll take care of that within the next few days, but Iâ,,,ve decided to settle on grabbing a macbook pro in the meantime as my default instrument for the next few years of college.

I need something a little more streamlined and I think this might be the way to go.
Seeing as quite a few members use apple products, can I get some input on where to head? I understand this has probably been covered ad nauseum, but conversation seems to be at a lull here and your opinions are as good as any (better than most probably).

Moneyâ,,,s obviously an issue and Iâ,,,m certainly not looking for the high of the high end, rather the opposite. Iâ,,,ll probably end up financing too, unless anyone has had a negative experience doing such through apple?

Right now Iâ,,,m just looking at the base 13â, model and the specs seem more than sufficient. Upgrades? Better ways to go? Abandon the idea completely?

Really though, I do appreciate input here especially seeing as this sort of thing is definitely not a specialty of mine.

Thanks in advance unless nobody posts. Then, thanks for nothing.

snorkel

If you're looking for something that will last a good few years, any of the MacBook Pros would be good for hardware (core i5 + 4gb of ram standard), battery (8 hours I think), and physical durability.

If you wait a few weeks Apple is sure to roll out their 2010 college student specials (free ipods, etc), and there's already a $100-200 student discount.

strongbad

Quote from: wziard on May 22, 2010, 12:56:02 PM
If you wait a few weeks Apple is sure to roll out their 2010 college student specials (free ipods, etc), and there's already a $100-200 student discount.

What I am waiting for.

Also Sgt. Pepper Boognish, I'm pretty sure that the normal macbook has exactly the same specs as the 13 inch macbook pro (although it looks a lot less sexier) so if you're trying to save a few hundred I'd jump on that.

snorkel

Quote from: StrongBad007 on May 22, 2010, 01:23:48 PM
What I am waiting for.

Also Sgt. Pepper Boognish, I'm pretty sure that the normal macbook has exactly the same specs as the 13 inch macbook pro (although it looks a lot less sexier) so if you're trying to save a few hundred I'd jump on that.

nicer screen, graphics besides shitty integrated ones, and firewire make it worth it

strongbad

So I'm looking at the 13 inch right now, and do you think it's worth the extra $300 to go from the 2.4GHz to the 2.66GHz processor?

snorkel

Quote from: StrongBad007 on May 28, 2010, 07:36:32 PM
So I'm looking at the 13 inch right now, and do you think it's worth the extra $300 to go from the 2.4GHz to the 2.66GHz processor?

No not really, if that's the only thing that gets upgraded.

?????

Why would you switch over to a Mac if you can get the same things done on your PC?
Die for Dethklok

strongbad

Quote from: wziard on May 28, 2010, 10:53:47 PM
No not really, if that's the only thing that gets upgraded.

Slightly bigger harddrive, but I don't care about that.
Quote from: TheSequel on May 28, 2010, 10:58:45 PM
Why would you switch over to a Mac if you can get the same things done on your PC?

I'm still contemplating going towards a windows machine, but I'm looking at all my options. I can do everything that I will need to do on either machine.

?????

Well Macs are more expensive than most other computers. Does it have to be a laptop?
Die for Dethklok

strongbad

Quote from: TheSequel on May 29, 2010, 10:59:34 PM
Well Macs are more expensive than most other computers. Does it have to be a laptop?

Yes it has to be a laptop.

Cookie

Quote from: Strongbab on May 30, 2010, 10:16:02 AM
Yes it has to be a laptop.

It sounds like you could get a PC that would suit your needs for $600-$700, which cost significantly less then a Macbook Pro. But if money is no matter get the Macbook Pro.

?????

Die for Dethklok

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Yeah, I'm going for the 13" pro.

I could invest another $700 in another pc, but I've had three fail in the last two and a half years with only light use on each machine. I dont really have a whole lot of patience with the idea anymore. I just want something that works and works well. I dont have a need for incredible specs or anything, but this semester and the next few are going to be pretty demanding so I'd like to know I have something that covers things.

strongbad

Quote from: Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow on June 01, 2010, 03:56:15 PM
Yeah, I'm going for the 13" pro.

I could invest another $700 in another pc, but I've had three fail in the last two and a half years with only light use on each machine. I dont really have a whole lot of patience with the idea anymore. I just want something that works and works well. I dont have a need for incredible specs or anything, but this semester and the next few are going to be pretty demanding so I'd like to know I have something that covers things.

I'm doing the same thing! The free iPod and the student discount are awesome additions.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Strongbab on June 01, 2010, 04:41:22 PM
I'm doing the same thing! The free iPod and the student discount are awesome additions.

I'm planning on selling the ipod right away. It'll put a slight dent in the dues owed I think.

Go Up