June 06, 2024, 06:37:23 AM

1,531,631 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

my new pc

Started by snorkel, July 09, 2009, 12:10:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Blaze-Senpai

If I was building a desktop now myself, I'd skip the Core 2 Duo's and get a i7 myself; but i'm getting a laptop so blah.

Nate

Quote from: ã'ã‚·ã'£ã'¢-せんぱい on August 01, 2009, 02:41:05 PM
If I was building a desktop now myself, I'd skip the Core 2 Duo's and get a i7 myself; but i'm getting a laptop so blah.

i7's are nice, but Quad's don't run games quite as good as Core 2 Duo's do.

snorkel

Quote from: Nate on August 03, 2009, 09:53:14 AM
i7's are nice, but Quad's don't run games quite as good as Core 2 Duo's do.

that makes no fucking sense because even if games didn't support full quad-core threading it would still be at least as good as a dual-core

Nate

Quote from: wziard on August 03, 2009, 05:12:06 PM
that makes no fucking sense because even if games didn't support full quad-core threading it would still be at least as good as a dual-core

Well sure, it runs as good as a Core 2, but if you aren't getting any performance increases based on spending over $200 on a processor, I don't quite see a point.

snorkel

Quote from: Nate on August 03, 2009, 11:25:17 PM
Well sure, it runs as good as a Core 2, but if you aren't getting any performance increases based on spending over $200 on a processor, I don't quite see a point.

You can run most games fine on a single core CPU of decent clock. Why not just spend $40 on an old Core Duo? Oh yeah, because the point of computers isn't games doodhuh;

Nate

Quote from: wziard on August 04, 2009, 12:53:10 PM
You can run most games fine on a single core CPU of decent clock. Why not just spend $40 on an old Core Duo? Oh yeah, because the point of computers isn't games doodhuh;

Depending on what type of computer you want.

LCK

Quote from: wziard on July 10, 2009, 01:34:15 AM
Yes and I'll be adding second and third terabyte drives for backup and extra storage... the case is expensive, yeah, but it's worth it for what I've read is superb cooling and sound deadening

uh between the mobo's built-in heatsink and the stock one that comes with the i7 I should be fine, the case has good cooling

stock heatsinks are fucking terrible even with a case that has good cooling and they tend to be loud as fuck

anyway
my original point when posting this was that you don't seem like the type of person who would settle for something like a stock heatsink when you could easily get much better for $20-30

?????

What in the world do you need an i7 for?
Die for Dethklok

LCK

Minus;

Nice dude!
That is such a beast setup.
Mine sucks:/

snorkel

Quote from: Trevor on November 27, 2009, 05:58:54 AM
stock heatsinks are fucking terrible even with a case that has good cooling and they tend to be loud as fuck

anyway
my original point when posting this was that you don't seem like the type of person who would settle for something like a stock heatsink when you could easily get much better for $20-30

I guess but I've been running OC'd at about 3.4ghz for months with no cooling problems so I'll stick with the stock one until I need to go to 4

Quote from: TheSequel on November 27, 2009, 10:34:29 AM
What in the world do you need an i7 for?

converting hundreds of 50-60mb images at a time from raw to jpg or tif is something I do several times in a week, and i7 makes it go really, really fast

also processing HD footage, editing/generating HD images, applying filters and the like to massive files in photoshop, are all things I do frequently

LCK

Quote from: wziard on November 28, 2009, 02:30:06 PM
I guess but I've been running OC'd at about 3.4ghz for months with no cooling problems so I'll stick with the stock one until I need to go to 4

okay dude

Minus;

My laptop forever overheats

Go Up