June 07, 2024, 12:08:37 PM

1,531,631 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

bret easton ellis

Started by snorkel, November 26, 2009, 01:10:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snorkel

author of such titles as American Psycho, Rules of Attraction, and others.

My friend recommended Rules of Attraction, so I read it between yesterday and today, and it was great. It's a series of short little vignettes from different characters' perspectives, all first-person. There's 3 main characters who do the bulk of the storytelling, and several minor ones. the story is about college kids doing shit.

I cannot yet rate Ellis' literary prowess (having read only this novel of his), but I liked Rules of Attraction quite a bit. There was a movie of it made in 2002, which I downloaded and am excited to watch

Houdini

I've been on a bit of a Bret Easton Ellis kick. This summer I read Less Than Zero, a month ago I read The Rules of Attraction, and now I'm reading Lunar Park. American Psycho is on my bookshelf.

I would say thus far that Ellis definitely seems to have literary prowess. His style is somewhat minimal, but the more of him I read the more I feel that he's very much in control. His books are easy to read but they're pretty fucking poignant, I think.

??????

Socks recommended the Rules of Attraction for me, but I've only saw half of it. :(

snorkel

film version was terrible. it could have been a cool 80s period thing (like boogie nights), but they fucked up the story and made it "awesome 2002"

Houdini

Quote from: wziard on November 26, 2009, 05:47:49 PM
film version was terrible. it could have been a cool 80s period thing (like boogie nights), but they fucked up the story and made it "awesome 2002"
It's set in 02? What's the fucking point? The book is all about the Reagan era.

Go Up